T-Minus (3) Days Until VEGA!!

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
What I really want to see is what the RX 590 brings.

And the 220GE and 240GE.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Really curious to see if they make any adjustments to the cooling/chassis. You can't beat physics, of course, but I think the last release proved there is still some room for improvements.

Also, I don't care what anyone is saying in that other thread - fact is, we just don't know what kind of performance this thing is going to have. Personally, I anticipate 1060-level ... which would have been great two years ago, but will be completely outclassed by the 2xxx series launching early next year. That said, I doubt this will be nearly the battery drain as Nvidia's options.

Ultimately, in a few days we'll be able to purchase a 15" Apple laptop with a 4.9Ghz 6-Core i9, a brand new, 7nm AMD GPU, and 32GB of RAM with wicked fast SSD. It's the laptop we've all claimed we've wanted for a long time.

MarcBook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
United Kingdom
Ultimately, in a few days we'll be able to purchase a 15" Apple laptop with a 4.9Ghz 6-Core i9, a brand new, 7nm AMD GPU, and 32GB of RAM with wicked fast SSD. It's the laptop we've all claimed we've wanted for a long time.
They're actually still 14nm, sadly.

"Built on the 14nm FinFET process, “Vega” is the highly scalable architectural foundation for Radeon™ graphics delivering powerful and efficient performance"

https://www.amd.com/en/graphics/radeon-pro-vega-20-pro-vega-16

Reactions: g75d3

xxray

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2013
I’m interested to see where this goes, but not willing to wait for it. I’d only buy a refurbished model and I’m not going to wait 3 months for it. Ordered a refurbished model this week. I figured FCPX would be optimized enough for the Radeon Pro 560X that it wouldn’t be worth waiting for or paying a brand new MBP for.

CodeJoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2018

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Really curious to see if they make any adjustments to the cooling/chassis. You can't beat physics, of course, but I think the last release proved there is still some room for improvements.
Yep, it's probably going to make a good room heater :(.

Until they do some major changes to the chassis, I still think that I would get the 15" 2.2 GHz MacBook Pro with a 555X video card.

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017

Also, I don't care what anyone is saying in that other thread - fact is, we just don't know what kind of performance this thing is going to have. Personally, I anticipate 1060-level ... which would have been great two years ago, but will be completely outclassed by the 2xxx series launching early next year. That said, I doubt this will be nearly the battery drain as Nvidia's options.

Except we are no where near the physical limits of computational efficiency. getting more computation from the same amount of power does not require one to "beat physics", In fact that is exactly what we have been doing for the past 50 years.

The VEGA graphics will have the same TDP as the current GPUs so there is ZERO reason why it would run any hotter.

Reactions: idck_cn

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
Personally, I anticipate 1060-level ... which would have been great two years ago, but will be completely outclassed by the 2xxx series launching early next year. That said, I doubt this will be nearly the battery drain as Nvidia's options.
You think so? Nvidia perf-per-Watt didn’t improve that much. And I don’t think that Vega 20 will match the 1060, but that’s not even the point. Matching 1050 Ti at 35W TDP would be already incredible.

0-0

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Lol, well they're asking $100 extra for 555->560 for what's something like a 5-10% performance gain at best. Probably expect Vega to cost $1000 or more. :)

Vega is great for laptops, but I seriously doubt that it will be worth it at Apple rates.

Really hope it isnt 1000. if they charge 100 per 10 percent increase and they say it is 60 percent faster 600 would be more ideal.