T-Mobile Offering Free 32GB iPhone 7 During Pre-Order With Trade-In

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

T-Mobile has announced that it will offer a free 32GB iPhone 7 during pre-order to new or existing customers when they trade in their iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus or 6s Plus. The offer is for a limited time and will be available at T-Mobile.com when pre-orders are live and T-Mobile retail stores.

The offer partially extends to other iPhone 7 models. For example, the 32GB iPhone 7 Plus is available for $120 with a trade-in, while the 128GB and 256GB iPhone 7 are available for $100 and $200, respectively.

To qualify for the offer, the trade-in iPhone has to be a 6, 6s, 6 Plus or 6s Plus and be able to turn on, have no water damage, and not have a shattered screen. Customers will also need a 24-month no-cost finance agreement. T-Mobile says that customers will see a credit on their bill every month for 24 months. After 24 months, T-Mobile says customers will have paid nothing and received a free iPhone 7.

Customers can walk away at any time by either paying their outstanding phone balance or turning in their iPhone 7.

AT&T has also announced a promo for the iPhone 7. New and existing DirecTV and AT&T U-verse customers can get a 32GB iPhone 7 on either AT&T Next or AT&T Next Every Year when they add a new line to their account from another wireless provider. Customers will receive up to $650 in monthly bill credits whey they activate their new iPhone. Similar to the T-Mobile offer, customers can choose another iPhone 7 model and pay the difference.

Article Link: T-Mobile Offering Free 32GB iPhone 7 During Pre-Order With Trade-In

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
This is great, I'll be a very happy T-Mobile customer when John confirms this.

But, anyone know what happens when that iPhone you want to trade in has an EIP balance?
You still have to pay off the balance.
This promo locks you into a two year agreement with them. If you leave before the two years is up, you owe the remaining balance on the iPhone 7. They're basically making the monthly payments for you via a bill credit.

Henry0017

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016

But, anyone know what happens when that iPhone you want to trade in has an EIP balance?
You either Pay off the remaining EIP balance or keep making EIP payments.

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Woah!

That's awesome. But I'll still have 3 days left on my contract when pre orders go up. Will they pay the ETF?
I was in the same boat. Your best bet( at this point ) is to swallow next month's bill with your previous carrier. ETF is only paid off by T-mo if you port your number over, and that could take as long as a week (that's what the rep told me) so I guess this just depends on how soon you wanna pre-order.

AT&T unlocked my iphone6 even though I was still under contract but I guess I'll be giving t-mo an unlocked 64GB i6+.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I was in the same boat. Your best bet( at this point ) is to swallow next month's bill with your previous carrier. ETF is only paid off by T-mo if you port your number over, and that could take as long as a week (that's what the rep told me) so I guess this just depends on how soon you wanna pre-order.

AT&T unlocked my iphone6 even though I was still under contract but I guess I'll be giving t-mo an unlocked 64GB i6+.
Actually I thought about it some more.

T Mobile will be offering this deal during the ENTIRE pre order period. The 12th (my last day on contract) is STILL under pre order period. So no ETF to worry about :)

Can someone please tell me if my logic is wrong?!

anschris

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2007
Actually I thought about it some more.

T Mobile will be offering this deal during the ENTIRE pre order period. The 12th (my last day on contract) is STILL under pre order period. So no ETF to worry about :)

Can someone please tell me if my logic is wrong?!
Bear in mind that it takes a week or more for the phone to be shipped. You *may* be able to simply order the phone with your trade in because you don't ship your trade in to T-Mobile until after you get the new phone. Just not sure if it will be a problem with porting your number. You may be able to port the number after your contract is up. Might be a good idea to go into a T-mobile store and ask a rep about it.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
This is great, I'll be a very hap
I read in another thread someone called and talked to a rep and found out you need to be on the new T-Mobile One plans. If true, not cool for me. I'd end up paying $20 more per month.
py T-Mobile customer when John confirms this.

John confirmed this via twitter.
You have to pay off the EIP balance to qualify for the trade in. Only paid off phones (or phones that you own, so yes - non-Tmobile phones do work as well) will be eligible for this promotion.

I read in another thread someone called and talked to a rep and found out you need to be on the new T-Mobile One plans. If true, not cool for me. I'd end up paying $20 more per month.
If that's true then this sucks big time...
Nope, it's open to everyone. Tmobile agent confirmed via Twitter. Check Slickdeals and T-Mobile Reddit page.

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
Amazing offer. They are really shaking up the game. And although I'm happy with my prepaid Cricket unlimited LTE for $65, their prepaid service is even cheaper and also unlimited. They're shaking up the game in post and prepaid. It's crazy.

Loco Emperor

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2016
How does this work if you are paying an eip currently for a 6s plus? I have jump and I can jump after like $275 I think.

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
Probably make you pay the rest of it off, continue paying monthly or pay whatever it costs to jump in full and have it on your next bill or something. I'm sure they won't be that generous as to waive it. I assume...

Last edited:
Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Always cracks me up when ATT tries to get in on these types of promos. Their offers never come close to competing.
Agreed, however, those of us who do use ATTWS and are smart shoppers head over to Best Buy, which matches those offers and adds an additional $200 GC per line. I needed a line for my mom, who lives in rural WA where ATTWS is pretty much it - and got a BOGO plus the 2 BB GC for two 64GB 6S handsets. We didn't make out too badly.

FWIW, the ATTWS Band 12 interop isn't up and running there or anywhere within 25 miles of her house so far on T-Mo or USCC - I checked just last week...

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS

It's a legit offer. EIP has to be paid off in full first. Source: I'm a T-Mobile call center rep and we just got trained on this offer (in our pre-order prep) today.