Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Though it would have been wonderful for ATT to tap into lower incomes. I'd read a large bulk of TMO's money comes from lower economic areas where they can get away charging what they want because the other two providers don't service those areas.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I've been wanting to ditch ATT for T-Mobile for a while now, and was only holding back because of that nonsense HD streaming policy. So long a it is now HD always as it should be, I will be switching next week.

The Verizon offer is pretty enticing though.

I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan (as do two other lines on my account), so I am very curious to see how att respond to this. They have treated us so poorly for so long I will be shocked to see them offer any kind of tethering plans. But this will hopefully force them to.

The-Dude-Abides

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
If it works for you, that's great. T-Mobile has always been awful in my area and Verizon has always been the best of the big 4 (tried all 4 a year ago). The unlimited data outside of North America is 2G which is unusable so it's not really a selling point to me.

I've tested in Germany, France, Brazil, Japan and Canada. Google maps, Waze, and all other necessities work great. Texts are free and calls are cents per minute. I was one of the original simple choice customers maybe 3 years ago or more. I told friends in Germany about my plan and they were blown away. I guess T-Mobile is huge there and they can't touch this kind of plan. Anyway, it was faster than you would think and I always had great signal.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
If you're wondering who to pick, ask around or look at mobile forums and see who covers your general area better, and places you go often. I've been with Verizon for years simply because they're tremendous. Their customer support is fantastic. And I can get a good signal in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: bayportbob

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
meme1.jpg

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Oh, Verizon...

Yes, the unlimited plan requires you to fork over your banking information for either debit or direct checking access.

Eff ewe, Verizon. Thanks to TMobile for pointing this out - I had been interested in the Verizon offer until I saw this.

yep, thumbs up to tmobile for highlighting this. really feels like verizon was forced to make this move and compensated for it by making other parts of the plan worse (no/limited corporate discounts, autopay with bank account). not nice verizon, not nice.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Be careful the mods may jump in here and whack your "political" post :D

#MakeModerationGreatAgain

:)

I would switch but the coverage spooks me. Verizon has phenomenal coverage and speed in my area.
#AlternativeFacts :D

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I love T-Mobile! This is why we need competition. Who here is so freaking glad that AT&T merger didn't go through several years ago?

$140/mo after taxes and fees for the three lines I need on unlimited with HD streaming and more than enough tethering to get me by? This is getting to be pretty tempting. Does the T-Mobile One plan qualify for company discounts? If so that would drop it below Verizon and my 12GB data + 13GB bonus data (it used to be 12GB, idk where the extra 1GB came from!), which costs $138 currently after taxes and fees, and I also wouldn't have to pay all those upgrade fees when I get a new iPhone every year, and doesn't T-Mobile also pay you Visa Gift cards or something to switch? Might be worth the hassle. I might have to test drive their coverage somehow—is that easy to do? By biggest hangup was always the SD video and paltry tethering. Coverage has improved in recent years with newer devices.

Pman17

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Galveston, TX
AT&T will make a move. Just be patient. It's only day 1 of this Unlimited data war.

Doubt I'll get a good deal, I got a great deal on the mobile share plan of 30GB for $130/mo with rollover. If they can do the equivalent or close to that price, then I'll be interested. Make a discount for DirecTV customers!

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'm on the AT&T grandfathered unlimited plan and so far have not been throttled despite going over 22GB every month. I've also lowered my talk minutes to 300/mo with rollover, which is still more than I need, so I save a bit there. I also got a discount for unlimited text. As a result, even with their just announced price increases for data, I'll be paying $80/mo plus equipment and tax/fees. I'd be content with this expect for the lack of tethering capability. I hate needing to buy more data for my iPad and being unable to use my MBP at all without wifi, so this is my only grip with AT&T.

I had never heard of AT&T's stream saver option until now, but I checked and it's off on my account. Seems like a nice feature since it's optional and not an up-charge to gain HD steaming.

Although these new plans from the competition sound appealing, another aspect I like about AT&T is how easily I've been able to use their Next Program to buy a new iPhone every year and receive it on launch day. I'm sure it's possible on the other carriers, but knowing how it's done with the carrier I have, makes me reluctant to charge.

Reactions: cjgrif

superheroux

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
Minnesota
Meanwhile I used less than 600MB this past year... These plans seem tempting, but I live surrounded by wifi and am able to uses Ting to keep my bill between $18-$24 a month. Someday maybe I will join the big leagues!

Reactions: gim and sciencesque

creediddy

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
TMO is a joke with their half-baked advertising. The real story is this...

Most expensive phones on the market are the 7 Plus 256GB. I shopped for two iPhone 7 Plus 256GB models and these are the results:

Monthly payments:
TMO Unlimited Plan 4G LTE = $539 downpayment, while monthly payment = $205

VZ Unlimited Plan for 4G LTE = $0 downpayment, while monthly payment = $230.82

Again I had to configure these the same. TMO wants you to add $15/per line for UNL 4G LTE. That is the catch with their plan rather than their $70/mo plan.

So here it is for the most expensive phones...I would rather keep the $539 in my pocket and bill it monthly for an unlimited plan.

What a joke regarding TMO!!!!

StarryNights

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017
NY
yep, thumbs up to tmobile for highlighting this. really feels like verizon was forced to make this move and compensated for it by making other parts of the plan worse (no/limited corporate discounts, autopay with bank account). not nice verizon, not nice.
I signed up this morning and was able to sign up for auto pay with a regular credit card. There is no requirement to use checking/debit card for this plan.

Reactions: bayportbob

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005

Most expensive phones on the market are the 7 Plus 256GB. I shopped for two iPhone 7 Plus 256GB models and these are the results:

Monthly payments:

Again I had to configure these the same. TMO wants you to add $15/per line for UNL 4G LTE. That is the catch with their plan rather than their $70/mo plan.

So here it is for the most expensive phones...I would rather keep the $539 in my pocket and bill it monthly for an unlimited plan.

Uh, what does any of that confusing stuff above have to do with what this thread is about? :confused:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Monthly payments:

The T-Mobile down payment should be $250 for that phone, barring terrible credit. In their own calculator you have two options: "great or average". It's kind of misleading but basically if your score is 600+ you can consider t "great" for the purposes of their calculator.

Also, the new plans aren't yet available. I'm unsure if their configuration is online yet, but generally it isn't until its live. The take how point is you lay $160 a month for four lines of unlimited 4g lte (same 22gb deprioritization csp as Verizon). Any taxes are still billed and automatically credited.

Reactions: Daekwan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.