Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattan_lines

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
I sometimes think of T-Mobile as the Samsung of the cell carrier business... Apple (Verizon in this scenario) releases (or is rumored to release from leaks) a new product featuring key new features and Samsung hurries with a retaliation of the same things plus a few "new" things.

Say what you will about the Apple and Samsung competition going on, it's getting slightly petty on both sides at this point. Cell carriers included.

Reactions: Daekwan

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Unfortunately HD passes will still need to be activated daily. Major bummer:

https://twitter.com/TMobileHelp/status/831279456744452097
Lol. How amazing. Different social media reps giving different answers. Sigh...
[doublepost=1487029574][/doublepost]
I sometimes think of T-Mobile as the Samsung of the cell carrier business... Apple (Verizon in this scenario) releases (or is rumored to release from leaks) a new product featuring key new features and Samsung hurries with a retaliation of the same things plus a few "new" things.

Say what you will about the Apple and Samsung competition going on, it's getting slightly petty on both sides at this point. Cell carriers included.
Kind of confused with this comparison. T-Mobile has been he only one with any semblance of unlimited data for the last five or so years (excluding grandfathered plans). I'm not denying this was a reactionary move by T-Mobile but generally Verizon is reacting to tmobiles antics.

Reactions: Tinmania and lyngo

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
If it works for you, that's great. T-Mobile has always been awful in my area and Verizon has always been the best of the big 4 (tried all 4 a year ago). The unlimited data outside of North America is 2G which is unusable so it's not really a selling point to me.

2G may not work for you but I have found it to be acceptable when traveling abroad. I can Skype, check email and browse just fine, and I no longer need to either need a second phone and buy airtime or pull the SIM from mine so I can no longer incoming calls on my number.

The free GoGo is a nice plus as well; now I can check email and get texts during flights.

Streaming is unusable so if that is what you need I can understand 2G doesn't do it for you.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Our current 4 lines on TMobile Simple Choice has unlimited data (until 2/19) and (I think) 7GB Hotspot (each line), plus all the other benefits and we only pay $120 for all 4 lines plus $2.95 per line taxes and fees. No corp discounts or anything.

I suppose for some this new TM One Unlimited looks good, but our older plan seems better.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
I signed up this morning and was able to sign up for auto pay with a regular credit card. There is no requirement to use checking/debit card for this plan.

Can you confirm that you get the $5 off for autopay? I suspect that you can pay with CC, but they won't give the autopay discount.

Reactions: StarryNights

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Our current 4 lines on TMobile Simple Choice has unlimited data (until 2/19) and (I think) 7GB Hotspot (each line), plus all the other benefits and we only pay $120 for all 4 lines plus $2.95 per line taxes and fees. No corp discounts or anything.

I suppose for some this new TM One Unlimited looks good, but our older plan seems better.
Same here with the exception we get 10gb tethering (due to getting 10gb for the price of 7 during a promotion). I don't believe we have the option to do he video do we? Not like t matters. I stream an hour a day between the gym and the train and I have zero qualms.

My only fear is, should I stay with tmovilenfor another two years, unlimited will be more expensive. Though I'm saving $1300-ish over those two years so....

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Been an iPhone user since 2G model, and have had unlimited data AT&T since then. Thought about cutting them loose before, and now thinking of it again. My monthly bill hovers around $87, and that doesn't include texting (I refuse to pay any more for that and just rely on Google Voice and Apple Messages for others in the Apple ecosystem). Bill will be going up by $5, so $93. I've never been able to have hotspot access. I live and work in the Philadelphia area.

Am I craze to jump AT&T ship?

Reactions: cjgrif

StarryNights

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017
NY
Can you confirm that you get the $5 off for autopay? I suspect that you can pay with CC, but they won't give the autopay discount.
This is what I see when I log in, I signed up for autopay with Amex.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 7.07.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 7.07.41 PM.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: turtlebud

rockarollr

Suspended
Apr 3, 2010
USA
It looks to me like AT&T is the one sucking wind here. Taking up the back, falling behind - whatever you want to call it. That really sucks for me, because the wife, daughter and I have been AT&T wireless customers since 2008, and have been very happy with the service our phones have had through them thus far. However, their pricing is high and relentless... and is what REALLY sucks about having your cell phone service with AT&T.

Our friends in Europe laugh and shake their heads at the amount of our cell phone bills here in America. I don't blame them, either.

Just a warning and word to the wise, AT&T - bring the prices down a bit and remain competitive. Otherwise, families like ours will take the business for our 3 lines of service elsewhere... and very soon, at that.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
If it works for you, that's great. T-Mobile has always been awful in my area and Verizon has always been the best of the big 4 (tried all 4 a year ago). The unlimited data outside of North America is 2G which is unusable so it's not really a selling point to me.

Having unlimited lte here in mexico is a big selling point for me. People have different needs, good to have choices.

I can confirm I get it.

Reactions: Daekwan

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Same here with the exception we get 10gb tethering (due to getting 10gb for the price of 7 during a promotion). I don't believe we have the option to do he video do we? Not like t matters. I stream an hour a day between the gym and the train and I have zero qualms.

My only fear is, should I stay with tmovilenfor another two years, unlimited will be more expensive. Though I'm saving $1300-ish over those two years so....

Good question on the HD Video. I see our phones have BingeOn enabled. Not sure what happens if we turn it off. To be honest, I don't stream video at all (my TMO phone is my 2nd phone), but my daughter certainly does. Like you said, it doesn't matter, but it would be nice to know if we can turn BingeOn OFF now?

I'd stay where you are now, pocket that $1300-ish and roll the dice in two years. The way things are going, they will be paying US to use their service! :)

Reactions: lordofthereef

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It looks to me like AT&T is the one sucking wind here. Taking up the back, falling behind - whatever you want to call it. That really sucks for me, because the wife, daughter and I have been AT&T wireless customers since 2008, and have been very happy with the service our phones have had through them thus far. However, their pricing is high and relentless... and is what REALLY sucks about having your cell phone service with AT&T.

Yes looks like ATT is the new VZW - hard nosed carrier with no intention of competing. Like you I've been w/ ATT since the original iPhone. No real problem w/ them but when they ditched subsidized contracts I bought an unlocked phone and stayed off contract. Until now I never saw another provider's plan worth ditching my grandfathered ATT plan. Both VZW and now this updated Tmob plan have me thinking had about switching. TMob is even offering $150 to do so. There is also the upcoming $5 ATT price increase that really puts ATT in a bad place here.

Reactions: cjgrif

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
Apparently you have to opt in once a month for HD videos now. No daily HD passes.

Attachments

• IMG_1811.PNG
    IMG_1811.PNG
    202.7 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: zapmymac

tgwaste

Suspended
Sep 18, 2013
Do you still have to manually enable HD video every day on T-Mobile?

If so - not impressed. That is super anti-consumer.

According to Customer Service you have to opt-in once per month to get the HD video.

Sorry, that is completely unacceptable.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Your move AT&T. I switched from T-Mobile years ago because their coverage was blah. Maybe it's better in my area now...

tgwaste

Suspended
Sep 18, 2013
How hard is it to opt in? If it's just a few clicks then who cares.

You have to be kidding. To have to opt in for something that should just work is utter nonsense.

Im sure to they are happy to know you are an unconditional customer.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I just changed my Verizon plan today for one iPhone 7 from the 12 GB (XL plan) to Unlimited. The unlimited plan costs $65 plus $40 for the "line access fee" plus taxes. I'll save $15 a month.

Where does the $20 "device fee" mentioned in the article come from?
It's $40 for lines that are under contract, otherwise it's $20.

Oh, Verizon...

Yes, the unlimited plan requires you to fork over your banking information for either debit or direct checking access.

Eff ewe, Verizon. Thanks to TMobile for pointing this out - I had been interested in the Verizon offer until I saw this.
As far as information is concerned, giving debit card information is hardly anything more than giving credit card information.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I still don't see how they can get away with calling these plans "unlimited" when they're throttled after a certain point. I guess technically they're "unlimited" in that I can still have access to data, but at speeds that render it barely useable. But the implication in "unlimited" is that there's no cap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.