T-Mobile ONE Unlimited Plan Gains HD Video and 10GB High-Speed Hotspot Data to One-Up Verizon

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2017.

1. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

T-Mobile still covers significantly less areas than Verizon. When they boost about covering 99% the people Verizon covers, that's because of cities. Their square mileage coverage is significantly less.

So to answer your question, some people want coverage outside of cities and highways.

2. nburwell macrumors 68030

nburwell

I didn't go through each response, but was anyone able to determine if we have to enable HD video on our account each day? That's a huge PITA if that is the fact. I'm hoping that we just have to use the app to change to HD video and be done with it.

Not that I watch a ton of video on cellular data, but regardless I will be switching the feature on come Friday.

3. an-other macrumors regular

Glad to see competition is doing good things.

Am I the only one that thinks it's deceptive to advertise "UNLIMITED" and have data caps/prioritisation/throttling?

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Well, I was with you until "jingoistic." I don't think you know what that word means and are just parroting common words heard at a street protest. The main 4 cell companies are anything but jingoistic. They are the epitome of secular except when it comes to their respective bottom line. That is all they cheer and beat the drum for.

5. MartinJe macrumors newbie

I love how everyone is so excited about this "cheap" "unlimited" plan. In DK a truly unlimited 4G data plan (incl. free speech and text) without any additional fees is less than 20 USD...

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, and a liter of gasoline in the U.S. is half of what it costs in DK. Every market is different for a variety of reasons.

7. MartinJe macrumors newbie

True, and the registration tax on cars in DK is 150%. Still I find it quite amusing :)

8. dt808 macrumors member

Same exact issue here lol. Not worth taking a loss on my ATT 7 plus. Although Verizon would be better, I'm hoping ATT unlimited follows through with some tethering. That is all I need now.

9. Sefstah Suspended

Im thinking of switching to TM. Im not sure what all this "opting in for HD video" is all about. Could someone please explain how it works?

10. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

11. sman789 Customer Support

sman789

Ugh, I'd be saving $60+/month with my 2 AT&T grandfathered unlimited plans. I think I might do the switch this weekend. Thank goodness I have unlocked phones.

12. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68020

AppleFanatic10

It seems like you're in a contract so for you the device fee would be $40. If you had a device payment or weren't in a contract the device fee would be $20.

13. ejfontenot macrumors regular

ejfontenot

If today I wanted to watch something in HD on the network, I log into the app and buy an HD pass either for the day or the month.

The question we all have right now, once we get it free on Friday, do we have to activate the HD function in the app each time we want HD streaming.

14. Sefstah Suspended

Got it. Thanks for your reply. Seems like a hassle for sure. I will standby and wait to hear how this plays out.

15. Maury macrumors 6502

> was limited to 2G speeds

Does anyone know how this works? Does it actually use 2G for this, or does it somehow limit the speed on whatever connection you already have?

It seems the US is finally getting the sorts of plans I wish I had here in Canada. Five years ago that statement was reversed.

16. mstrmke macrumors newbie

Yah, then you have to add $15+ for a decent (you don't BOD).
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    I have AT&T 6GB plan with an iPhone 7. They are the 2nd cheapest (next to Sprint). Tmobile and VZW are almost $15 more. I can also tether at no extra charge...

17. SpcyMeatShtick macrumors newbie

Currently have 2 lines grandfathered with ATT. $5 increase and still no tethering is a bummer. Never hit the threshold to be throttled. We currently are paying $160 after taxes (we get a corporate discount). Moving to T Mobile will save $60/month. I think it might be time to jump ship.

18. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I am with ATT on a 6GB plan and our monthly cost (we have a 15-20% corporate discount) is $125. T-Mobile looks to be $100 (or $92 with a corporate discount). Just curious what you are paying...you can message me if you don't want to post it here.

Thanks

19. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

T-Mobile coverage is miserable. I travel with a co-worker all the time who has T-Mobile and they always have issues while I have none with At&t. You get what you pay for.

Just waiting for at&t to respond....

20. ejfontenot macrumors regular

ejfontenot

They throttle it on the network side. So you still connect to the LTE network but your network speeds are throttled.

21. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I have enjoyed my TMO service but the Verizon plan is tempting. If I wasn't getting a discount that brings my total bill to $60.38/month on the Simply Unlimited plan, I'd consider switching. I would have liked to see TMO offering some better roaming LTE data passes though. 2G for free is sufficient for the most part though.

22. LessO2 macrumors regular

To one their own. I'm still going to have a comfortable night of sleep tonight.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    That may get me to switch over to T-Mo.

23. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Of course. Ignorance is bliss.

24. kingtj macrumors 68020

What some people tend to forget is that the U.S. suffers from being first/best with a land-line telephone system spanning the entire country.
    We were so heavily invested in copper wire infrastructure, guaranteeing phone service even to the lone farmer living in the middle of nowhere, many miles from the nearest town (and covering over 3,000 miles from coast to coast), that when cellular became a "thing", it was a slow, costly transition here.

In many other countries, there really wasn't a big, established infrastructure like that to contend with, so cellular was rolled out pretty rapidly and generously.