MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When T-Mobile first began offering cellular iPads in the fall of 2013, the company included a plan that provided customers with 200MB of free LTE data each month for the life of the tablet, a promotion that is now coming to an end.

As noted by TmoNews, T-Mobile has updated its Free Data for Life support page to note that the program is no longer available for new activations as of May 7, 2017. Customers who signed up for Free Data for Life on or before May 6, 2017, are able to keep the 200MB data plan with their current iPads so long as they continue to be T-Mobile subscribers.

tmobile_logo-800x264.jpeg

T-Mobile's free data plan has always been tied to a specific device rather than an account, so when upgrading to a new iPad, customers who use Free Data for Life will not be able to keep the data plan. Going forward, no new tablets that are released will be eligible for the program.
Important: As of May 7, 2017, Free Data for Life is no longer available for new activations. If you signed up for FDFL on or before May 6, 2017, you can keep it with your current tablet as long as you own and use your tablet with T-Mobile.
Free Data for Life was originally introduced as one of T-Mobile's Un-carrier initiatives, and T-Mobile was the only company to offer a free data plan for iPads.

T-Mobile currently offers just one data plan, T-Mobile One, with unlimited data. T-Mobile One customers can add a tablet to their plans for $20 per month.

Article Link: T-Mobile to Stop Offering 200MB of Free Data for New iPad Owners

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
It's not much, but I don't live in the US so it was nice to have a little bit of data on my iPad when I'd visit for a weekend.

Comment

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
As the other poster said it doesn't even matter. If you have an iPad with LTE you have some kind of a plan. didn't consider foreigners but this was offered by TM USA to anybody with an iPad bought out outside of the USA?

Reactions: Avieshek
Comment

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
200mb was nothing anyway.. Just a way for Legere to brag.

It came in handy sometimes, though.

At one point there was a huge storm that knocked out power and Internet, along with AT&T cellular service.

On a hunch I grabbed my iPad which has that 200MB SIM in it and turned on cellular, and it worked. Was able to tell folks we were okay.

As an emergency communication method, those 200MB free data SIMs are good to have around. They also work in iPhones, though from the sound of it you won't be able to move them between devices anymore. :(

Comment

anthonysjennings

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2016
Maryland
Speak for yourself. With T-Mobile's free (200mb of) data every month, coupled with a free data SIM from FreedomPop both installed in a 9.7" iPad Pro (with embedded SIM) gave me just enough free data every month that actually buying iPad data began to seem weird.

And as for the article suggesting there is only one data plan available for cellular iPads, readers please know there are still many monthly and day/weekly passes available from T-Mobile in the iPad, including the high value 5gb/150 days daily plan for $10. Literally who else sells 5 gigs of mobile data and let you use it over the course of five months (or until it runs out, whichever comes first)?

Comment

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
T-Mobile's free data plan has always been tied to a specific device rather than an account, so when upgrading to a new iPad, customers who use Free Data for Life will not be able to keep the data plan.

Inaccurate.

If you take the SIM out of the original device and put it in a new device, the account continues to work.

Reactions: burgman and MacInTO
Comment

Aston441

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Lame. It's one of the things that made me start to like T-Mobile so much that I switched to T-Mobile on my other iPhone. Even though I've never owned an iPad or used that 200MB free plan. I'm liking T-Mobile less and less lately. FU T-MOBILE!

Comment

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
200MB was more than enough for some mild web browsing. I used it for years until my iPad 2 died.
[doublepost=1494269855][/doublepost]
Inaccurate.

If you take the SIM out of the original device and put it in a new device, the account continues to work.
Are you sure. It didn't for me. It was tied to the device IMEI number.

Reactions: magicman32 and Lazy
Comment

AutoUnion39

macrumors 601
Jun 21, 2010
Are people really shocked by this?

T-Mobile tried to get the public to take them seriously by giving away gimmicks.

Now they're turning into another typical carrier...

Comment

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Unfazed, since the T-Mobile One plans include 10GB of tethering the 200mb is obsolete to me.

Comment

digitalm3

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
The nicest part about it was for when you travel, you could buy a block of data without having a monthly subscription.

Comment

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I was wondering when T-Mobile would bump up against capitalist limits to extreme value claims. Now we see a visible example. The rest are buried in the TOS. But they are very good at claiming they offer more while other networks charge more for services, that while expensive, actually work where you are at that time.

On the financial front SoftBank who owns T-Mobile seem to be trying to take over Sprint so the combined network can install 5G. If that happens it might accelerate 5G over ATT and Verizon's existing plans. We will see.

Comment

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I was wondering when T-Mobile would bump up against capitalist limits to extreme value claims. Now we see a visible example. The rest are buried in the TOS. But they are very good at claiming they offer more while other networks charge more for services, that while expensive, actually work where you are at that time.

On the financial front SoftBank who owns T-Mobile seem to be trying to take over Sprint so the combined network can install 5G. If that happens it might accelerate 5G over ATT and Verizon's existing plans. We will see.

You mean SoftBank who owns Sprint trying to take over TMobile, right?

Comment

jcshas

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
Glad I was able to jump on board with this when I bought my iPad Pro last year. Although open wi-fi hot spots are easy to find these days, it's pretty handy when I've been in a pinch.

Reactions: Lazy
Comment

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I move my SIM between iPad Pro and iPad Mini all the time. Works great in both iPads with the 200mb free plan.

I move my 200mb SIM between my iPad Mini and a couple of Android tablets as well. Never had any issues.

Comment

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Lame. It's one of the things that made me start to like T-Mobile so much that I switched to T-Mobile on my other iPhone. Even though I've never owned an iPad or used that 200MB free plan. I'm liking T-Mobile less and less lately. FU T-MOBILE!

Lol this is the perfect example of someone getting hooked on hand outs.

1) It's nice that T-Mobile offered that to begin with. It's not like they have higher prices than other providers, and are doing this to compensate.

2) It's fairly noticeable that T-Mobile will not continue to offer these incentives, I.e covering tax for customers, free data, etc. forever, and will eventually become a slightly cheaper version of ATT & Verizon, generally speaking. ~Corruption may vary

Comment

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Incorrect.

SoftBank became majority owner of Sprint in 2013. They do not own T-Mobile US.

The majority owner of T-Mobile US is Deutsche Telekom.

Reactions: 1080p
Comment

azentropy

macrumors 68030
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Bummer, while 200mb wasn't a ton it was enough for me most months and other months I would just buy more. But this might be the tipping point of no longer getting the cellular models and just tether from my iPhone.

Like others that have stated though, I've moved SIMs around before from iPad to iPad without issue.

Reactions: Lazy
Comment

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Legere's Lambo insurance premiums most have gone up

I don't drive here in Seattle where they are HQ'd, but when I lived in the NE insurance was crazy town! Other than the constant traffic that was the worst part of driving in the NE.

While I did appreciate the free 200mb, as others have noted, in being a subscriber to T-Mobile you get 10gb of tethering data for free, so the 200mb plan probably wasn't used often. I mean, how many people that aren't already on T-Mobile chose the 200mb plan, right?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.