T-Mobile users, how/when will you get the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by California King, Jun 9, 2010.

1. California King macrumors 65816

If you guys are planning on getting the iPhone 4 and use it on T-Mobile, when will you get it (release day? when an unlock releases?) and also, how will you get it (sign up for 2 yr contract and pay ETF? no commitment price?)

:)

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Probably through a friend or family member once it can be unlocked.

3. RNVarma macrumors regular

I'm thinking of going either the factory unlocked route (through eBay) or buy an AT&T-locked one (again from eBay) if it's able to be unlocked.

4. calvy macrumors 65816

i don't understand why you'd want an iPhone 4 and use it on tmobile. Edge would drive me crazy.

5. RNVarma macrumors regular

You're right, EDGE access is pretty slow on T-Mobile. However, for my plan (500 minutes + unlimited text/MMS + unlimited web), I'm saving nearly $30 / month compared to paying AT&T, which works out to around $360 / year.

So, for me, I'll live with the EDGE access for the price difference.

6. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Not everything on it requires the internet.

7. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

No, but the things that do are enough to drive me nuts. I used a tmobile android on AT&T for a while and email and browsing were unbelievably slow. But I guess that's only after having used 3G for a while

8. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

If this is like the 3G and 3GS launch, you'll still have to be an AT&T customer to get the no commitment pricing. It took 6 or so months before they'd sell them to anyone no questions asked. It doesn't extend your contract, but you still need to be a customer (and I'm pretty sure at purchase time they add the data plan to your line since it's required, even if not getting a new contract).

9. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

Yep, same here. EDGE is just fine for me at that price.

10. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

Ordering mine on pre-order day.....I will wait for the unlock but I want the phone first.

11. bmms8 macrumors 68020

hey just a question, do you have an att account? if not, how will you get the phone? thanks.

12. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

I'm jumping ship and going to AT&T...wish I had in the first place. Using only Edge is making me go freaking crazy! Having to pay for data and then seeing my bill every month show 0mb in data use is just killing me. I'd rather pay more and actually get to use what I pay for.

13. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

You can just setup a new ATT account, cancel, and then pay the ETF and wait for the unlock. Cost = $595

14. JRML970 macrumors member

Wrong. At the 3GS launch last year I waited for the unlock to be released. Once it was announced by the dev-team (less than a week after the 3GS launch) I went to my local Apple store a bought one at the contract free pricing. 10 days exactly after the official launch date of the 3GS I purchased my iPhone 3GS without any contract from AT&T and was on my merry way. For those wanting to unlock the new iPhone 4 I'd suggest waiting for confirmation from the dev-team or Geohot that the unlock is possible and then grabbing one from your local Apple Store.

15. str8spd2001 macrumors regular

str8spd2001

I don't think it's the same anymore since they raised the ETF pricing. $199 + tax = about $268 then 1 month of service which is about $85.00 and then you add their new ETF price which is $375. You're going to be out about $730 when it's all said and done for a 16gb. That's only a rough estimate but I guess this is ATT way of trying to lock down customer.

16. .macstiled macrumors member

Some of us have no choice. There's BARELY a lick of AT&T service in the Santa Monica/Marina Del Rey, CA area. I'd gladly renew with them if there was...

Bought my 3G in Dallas, then moved out here for a job. Noticed the bad reception right away, but was only a few months from ending my contract.

The problem? Contract ended end of April this year, and I'd already upgraded my iPhone to 3.1.3...

I hope someone releases a fix for 3.1.3, because my iPhone wasn't cheap, and I'd really like to use it again. But development has been really quiet lately...

Edit: Oops, never mind. Just read this. :)

17. icanhasiphone? macrumors regular

I guess i'l be buying one through craigslist or Ebay, I really don't wanna have to though.

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

^
    get it from apple. You will have more piece if mind if u get a dud or something. Prices on eBay are going to be probably higher.

19. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

my nephew and his friends all have upgrades....they are college kids with iPhones already and would rather have some extra money then a new iphone so i am getting 4 of them......

20. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

AT&T didn't start offering no commitment iPhone 3GS until March 19th of this year. So Apple and AT&T must be on different schedules then, or you just got really lucky.

21. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Depends if a jailbreak is said to be soon after the launch. EDGE is slow and sometimes drives me nuts but what drives me nuts more is my 2G ringer volume being so low, i miss calls more times than not. That really drives me crazy. That external speaker is pure crap. The ear speaker isnt very good either for that matter.

So....since times arent as good as they used to be for me, ill either wait to get a new iPhone somehow but if it is just too expensive, im seriously thinking of going to the new My Touch that is just coming out. Just hate having to lose my $6 data that i still have on my iPhone.

Its a wait and see for me but no way am i just going out and buy the new iPhone and i dont want to switch to AT&T at all. And in fact, if they dont fix that external speaker for a louder ringer i might not get one at all.

22. icanhasiphone? macrumors regular

Thats what I wanted to do but people have been saying that you have to be on AT&T to buy an iPhone even at full price. I guess ill wait to see if thats true.

23. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

The new ETF price is $325, not $375. It was originally $175. The total cost would be 199 + 325 + 70 = $594 + tax. The no contract pricing is $599 + 70 (I'm assuming you have to pay at least a month's service when you sign up), so it actually comes out a bit cheaper to got the ETF route.

24. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

The unlock for 3.1.3/4.0 is already possible according to musclenerd of the dev team. So it should be out shortly after launch.

25. RNVarma macrumors regular