Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
Any tech watch whether from Apple or Google is really a gimmicky gadget. There is no market segment as most people who wear watches and high end ones at that do it for the status value.

Besides who can be bothered charging their watch EVERY NIGHT in order to use it the next day. Steve Wozniack said he threw his Samsung watch in the bin after less than half a day as he thought it was next to useless. There is no real need for an iwatch now or possibly even in the future.

To paraphrase the Macalope re your first paragraph: and there's no way that Apple could possibly do something different and better. Just like when the iPod and iPhone came out there were just like all of the other existing products and only sold really well because... ???

As for the nightly charging, previous rumors have said that battery life is one of the issues they wanted to solve before being willing to introduce a watch.

And define "real need". Almost everything in modern society isn't not fundamentally needed, but people buy things they don't "need" for a lot of reasons.

brewcitywi

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Watch

How is it that people still misunderstand the fact that when Apple aims at a new product segment, they ARE the competition and usually take over that segment?!?!?

This just shows how out of touch this hiring manager was that said this.

I don't think this product is meant to compete with any luxury watch brand...I see it as an apple tech product. I'd wear an iWatch on one wrist and a luxury watch on the other.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Final Thoughts

Apple has been great at making tech fashionable. This is their first foray in making fashion out of tech.

I'm going to bet that Apple will stick to doing what they do best.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
How is it that people still misunderstand the fact that when Apple aims at a new product segment, they ARE the competition and usually take over that segment?!?!?

This just shows how out of touch this hiring manager was that said this.

The iWatch will not dominate the real luxury watch market because it's a "gadget."

The lure of fine mechanical watches is that they can last generations by keeping them serviced and well taken care of. They don't have circuit boards, coils, resistors, etc. What happens to those components after time?

With that said, Tag Heuer isn't what I call a luxury watch IMO.

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
ipod_nano_watch.jpg

That already looks better than any android watch I've seen to date.

brewcitywi

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Wow

I don't think so. Rather, I think this gentleman sees the writing on the wall that his company and industry will soon be superceded by Apple's innovation. So he's happy that at least his sales manager was able to exit the sinking ship successfully.

Wow, really? Let's not double down on total stupidity! I have a bold prediction:

The Apple iWatch will not affect a single sale of a Rolex, or that of any luxury watch brand.

In fact, Apple doesn't want, or need it to. What Apple needs for the iWatch are some experts in the watch field for things like:

-- overall fit (design characteristics that high end watch wearers value)
-- marketing (the types of advertising that watch lovers respond to)
-- aesthetics (colors, band types, etc. that consistently perform better)

We are not going to see iWatch vs Rolex commercials.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
The iWatch will not dominate the real luxury watch market because it's a "gadget."

The lure of fine mechanical watches is that they can last generations by keeping them serviced and well taken care of. They don't have circuit boards, coils, resistors, etc. What happens to those components after time?

With that said, Tag Heuer isn't what I call a luxury watch IMO.

you wanna bet? if they do the design right...anything else is a plus over the luxury watch that only show your status and the time, and Apple can make it for health. You know that health is the important thing in this world right? Even if you are a teenager or even better an adult

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
It's going to be massive; massive in price that is. The common iPhone customer won't be able to afford/justify it.

No way it's massively priced. Wearables are a nascent market, and Apples not going to charge too high of a price for something it's going to have to convince people to buy. It'll probably be stuffed with sensors, but still ultimately much cheaper than an unsubsidized iPhone (probably no camera, little storage, slower processor, etc).

I'd guess $299-499. Current offerings from Lg and Samsung are $200-$300 and far from compelling (I.e. No downward pressure on price). Once you get to $500+ people will think why they're not just spending the money on a new iPhone/iPad. I could see this in 2-3 years becoming the new iPod, the low-hundreds of dollars portable thing that makes for a really nice Christmas gift and comes in different colors, sizes, etc.

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Umm... Yes it does.

It really doesn't. Remember when rich people had Vertus or whatever. Now you look like a ****ing idiot if you have one. Same will happen with the iWatch or whatever it'll be called. It won't be as luxurious as the top luxury watches but stylish and luxurious enough (and offer much more) that people will opt for it instead of a traditional watch since people are not going to carry both. It will destroy traditional watch business as we know it.

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
This post demonstrates that iwatch is definitely a watch then and not just some sort of wrist band device. Not sure how I feel about that until I see it I guess.

Also, Tag Heuer watches are expensive. I've had my eye on the Monaco but its too expensive for me. I hope none of that translates to a bulky, over expensive iwatch.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
you wanna bet? if they do the design right...anything else is a plus over the luxury watch that only show your status and the time, and Apple can make it for health. You know that health is the important thing in this world right? Even if you are a teenager or even better an adult

I don't think that you have even the slightest clue about the luxury watch market. What you say makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas

Bet what? When you guys say it will dominate or take over the luxury watch market - that means it will outsell everything in that segment. Is that what you think?

Everyone that likes/collects luxury watches will simply stop buying them and make the iWatch have higher sales than Rolex, Patek, Panerai, Cartier, Vacheron, Jaeger, etc? Get a grip.

I'm all about the iWatch and excited to see all the health benefits. I will mostly likely purchase one myself or my parents but I won't be wearing it daily over my Panerai or Rolex.

I agree the iWatch will dominate the "wear-able gadget market" but not true luxury watch market.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
It really doesn't. Remember when rich people had Vertus or whatever. Now you look like a ****ing idiot if you have one. Same will happen with the iWatch or whatever it'll be called. It won't be as luxurious as the top luxury watches but stylish and luxurious enough (and offer much more) that people will opt for it instead of a traditional watch since people are not going to carry both. It will destroy traditional watch business as we know it.

Trust me Nokia 8800 arte or any Vertu has its design.You can compare or say you look like an idiot. I think that more strange looks a kid with a 6" smartphone

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Let's not forget that Apple is the only luxury tech brand

No. It isn't a luxury brand to begin with, and even if it was, it definitely would not be the only one.

Apple is a mass market designer brand. Kinda like, say, Gant or Benetton.

brewcitywi

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Example

Example:

I'm the brides father in a wedding. I can't wait to wear my iWatch under the sleeves of my tuxedo.

Come on. They are two products for two markets..I'm not sure, branding-wise, whether the iWatch will even occupy the "watch" territory in customers minds!

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
No. It isn't a luxury brand to begin with, and even if it was, it definitely would not be the only one.

Apple is a mass market designer brand. Kinda like, say, Gant or Benetton.

Sorry but Apple is an luxury brand tech for mainstream, and the only one. Everyone knows that..why you argue with me?

----------

Example:

I'm the brides father in a wedding. I can't wait to wear my iWatch under the sleeves of my tuxedo.

Come on. They are two products for two markets..I'm not sure, branding-wise, whether the iWatch will even occupy the "watch" territory in customers minds!

You are kidding right? i think you have an Vertu in your tuxedo pocket and not an iPhone for your point to be right

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
No way it's massively priced. Wearables are a nascent market, and Apples not going to charge too high of a price for something it's going to have to convince people to buy. It'll probably be stuffed with sensors, but still ultimately much cheaper than an unsubsidized iPhone (probably no camera, little storage, slower processor, etc).

I'd guess $299-499. Current offerings from Lg and Samsung are $200-$300 and far from compelling (I.e. No downward pressure on price). Once you get to $500+ people will think why they're not just spending the money on a new iPhone/iPad. I could see this in 2-3 years becoming the new iPod, the low-hundreds of dollars portable thing that makes for a really nice Christmas gift and comes in different colors, sizes, etc.

Just about my exact thoughts on the matter, including the price range. :cool:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The way this thing is shaping up I damn near expect it to be at home at Best Buy and Tourneau.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Can someone PLEASE explain to companies that employees are not property? Employees are free to work for whomever the **** they want to work for. Stop you ***** aching and try to keep your employees by treating them better or paying them more.

Its called a contract. At E/C Level, they actually mean something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.