Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Why do people feel the need to upgrade?
I’m with a XR and will happily sit this one out, will only consider once Apple offers a TouchID+ FaceID combo alternative or better refresh rate on their phone.
Plus it’s the pandemic so save the money for rainy days.

Not everyone has a phone as new as a Xr. Lot’s of 7, 8, and X’s out there. Plus the mini is huge for a lot of people. I skipped out on the original X and got an 8 because a) the screen was too big and b) $1000 is too much for a phone with only 64 GB of storage. The mini is going to attract a lot of buyers who want a small, premium phone.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Every year they are promoting better cameras. Next year will probably be the same.

Not to mention year by year they have been doing sneaky stuff like removing headphone jack, decreasing battery capacity, making things harder to repair and then removing earphones/ wall adapter all in the name of “courage”/“save the environment” when it’s ultimately to profit from their user base.

Firstly, every year they are providing better cameras. They aren’t promoting something they’re not doing. If you need a camera better than the one you currently have, and you have the money, what’s the big deal? Everyone has to decide their own reasoning for upgrading or not.

Secondly, your latter paragraph is full of loaded language and cynical assumptions:

How is anything you listed that Apple has done been “sneaky?” They release a product, and you figure out if you need it or not. If a headphone jack makes or breaks you, buy another device. There’s no anti-farkingdom conspiracy at Apple.

As far as “battery capacity” it is only one part of the equation. What you should care about is battery life. Bench-racing the specs on phones with different processors and different operating systems is for fools and children.

When it comes to removing the power transformer and EarPods from the box, they said they were doing exactly that in the midddle of a heavily-advertised presentation to the public - so I don’t know how much less sneaky they could’ve made it. In any case, I doubt you can speak in an informed way about Apple and their motivation. It is entirely possible that they are saving money and benefiting the planet in one fell swoop.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I agree with the Taiwanese carriers that say so. This will be huge.

And I think Apple underestimates the potential sales of the iPhone 12 mini if they think the regular 12 will be the most sold.

The mini might have the potential to be huge...

I remember that the mini/nano iPods were crazy popular, but I think that was mainly because they were 30-40% cheaper than the full size ones. The iPhone 12 mini isn't anywhere cheap enough, and all the budget iPhones already exist and haven't sold in impressive numbers.

I'm just not seeing it... the iPhone has existed for far too long and too many people are just switching to buying 1-2 year old iPhones for vastly cheaper than buying them from Apple new.

• Disagree
Reactions: NetMage

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Why do people feel the need to upgrade?
I’m with a XR and will happily sit this one out, will only consider once Apple offers a TouchID+ FaceID combo alternative or better refresh rate on their phone.
Plus it’s the pandemic so save the money for rainy days.

I think it's consumers with much older iPhones than what you have who have decided to upgrade to the 5G iPhone models. I think since many people are not spending their money on things like eating out, going to movies, or traveling, have decided to spend their money on electronic devices. Many people feel better when they're buying things for themselves or others. If a person is working from home, why not have a high-end telecommunications device?

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Between the pandemic and the fact that it is a fairly lackluster upgrade for most average consumers (not the ones in this forum, before someone comes listing the upgraded specs that make negligible difference in real world use) with a recent model, I really doubt it.

5G might be a good push in the markets where it’s available but other than that I doubt.
Pandemic isn’t impacting Apple negatively. It’s actually accelerating their success, evidenced by their last quarter. Incredibly strong.

And AGAIN, like all new iPhones, the upgrade isn’t for people with an iPhone 11, XS or X. This is about upgrading the 400-500M iPhone 8 and lower models. It is a HUGE upgrade for those folks.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
I'm not normally an annual upgrader, but signed up for "Next" when we switched to AT&T last Nov. I'll be getting a 12 Pro sometime in the next couple months to replace my 11 Pro.

Reactions: E.Lizardo

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think consumers with much older iPhones than what you have who have decided to upgrade to the 5G iPhone models. I think since many people are not spending their money on things like eating out, going to movies, or traveling, have decided to spend their money on electronic devices. Many people feel better when they're buying things for themselves or others. If a person is working from home, why not have a high-end telecommunications device?

I suspect consumer spending is up, when you look at ordering to go from restaurants v.s. ‘Dine-in’, online spending versus in-store shopping, however; travel is certainly down, but smart phones are to the point where they’re exponentially expensive where consumers generally think twice about dropping a $1000, considering all these smart phones generate the same execution, but key feature(s) like the camera Would probably be notable, or whatever Apple markets to promote the iPhone. In the end, it’s carriers making it possible to ‘afford’ the latest iPhones through payments. I own my iPhone outright and that’s how prefer it, but I understand not everybody is in that situation where they can drop a $1000 for a smart phone.

Reactions: TheBeck

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I wish the home screen would rotate like they did back in the plus days (as seen in the pic). With the mouse and keyboard support I could turn my phone into a decent desktop.

musukosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Puyallup, WA
Every year they are promoting better cameras. Next year will probably be the same.

Not to mention year by year they have been doing sneaky stuff like removing headphone jack, decreasing battery capacity, making things harder to repair and then removing earphones/ wall adapter all in the name of “courage”/“save the environment” when it’s ultimately to profit from their user base.
Welcome to the smartphone industry. First time?

musukosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Puyallup, WA
How many USB-C power bricks do you have in the house. I have exactly ONE - the one from my iPad.
What I have plenty is Qi-Chargers.

If you have a bunch of Qi-Chargers, I would think you would have a handful of USB-C power Bricks as well. Most Qi-Chargers I have bought either come with or require one (if you want fast charging).

Reactions: Michael Scrip

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Their explanation for not including a power brick or headphones though... makes sense. I have stacks of unopened headphones behind me on my bookshelf. Our house is littered with power bricks and USB cables, I still have fresh, unused cables from products a year or two ago. There's definitely a lot of e-waste generated every upgrade cycle and a lot of fluff distributed with each iPhone.

Exactly.

When Apple sells 200 million iPhones in a year... that's 200 million power bricks that they have to produce... and 200 million sets of headphones too... every year... whether you want them or not!!!

And if we expand beyond Apple... there are 1.5 billion smartphones sold every year... with charging bricks and headphones included! EVERY YEAR!!!

That's completely ridiculous.

I know Apple is getting a lot of flack for this... but I support what they're doing. And I hope this trend continues industry-wide.

Let ME decide which power brick I want and I will make that purchase on my own. I prefer to have better multi-port chargers from Anker since I like to charge more than one thing at a time. I also have multi-port 12-Volt chargers in my cars that Apple doesn't even offer.

So... I don't need to purchase any additional charging gear for my new iPhone 12 since I already have plenty of chargers and cables that I'm currently using today. And I'm sure there are many other people like me.

Of course we will hear about some people who buy an iPhone 12 and have ZERO ways to charge it out of the box. They will be a vocal group, shouting "WTF APPLE!" every chance they get. But I imagine they are a VERY small number of users overall.

So while this is definitely a risk for Apple... I still support their decision to remove chargers and headphones from the box. And I hope other companies follow in this direction.

There is simply no need to produce billions of chargers and headphone every year.

Last edited:

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I’m on a xs Max and see absolutely zero reason to get a new one. This is the first time since the iPhone 3g that I won’t be upgrading at the end of my 2 year contract.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Okay, let's put this into perspective. As a way to stimulate the economy, the Taiwanese government gave out basically free money in a form of a voucher that you can spend on anything. The voucher works like cash, but will expire at the end of this year. With the increase tension with China, seems like Apple got the lucky draw. :)

Those who are in Taiwan can correct me if I'm wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.