Tall screens are BAD marketing gimmicks.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oplix, Oct 17, 2017.

1. oplix, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017

oplix Suspended

oplix

Tall screens that are not 16:9 are straight gimmicks. It’s Samsung that thought - how do we innovate screen size without making the phone wider? Then everyone else followed . There is really nothing great about tall screens. About 0.00001% of web content is designed for portrait.

Tall screens exist strictly as a marketing gimmick to advertise bigger screen size in a thinner phone.

This fad/phase of tall screens is supposed to get people reinvigorated about buying smartphones which have been largely unchanged for years now. Once this feature is normalized throughout the industry, marketing will come up with a new gimmick.

The real innovation would have been to make a bezelless 16:9 phone. Unfortunately, this is all preplanned based on marketing. The consumer will have to suffer at least several years of these useless designs before they “fix” it and start selling bezelless 16:9 phones.

2. ultravegeta1981 macrumors 6502

ultravegeta1981

It was actually Apple with the iPhone 5.

3. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

Really has nothing to do with the premise of the post but thanks for sharing

4. ultravegeta1981 macrumors 6502

ultravegeta1981

5. Diorama macrumors 6502a

Well what percentage of web users are viewing portrait? Because if that number is accurate* then web developers need to pull their finger out.

*it isn’t.

6. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Taller phones are easier to hold which is why Apple amd Samsung went that route.

7. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

Misunderstanding. The point is that there is no specific content for tall screens.

8. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

totally agree. i futuristic slick and slim totally bezeless 16:9 design would be the best.
    the they could even enlarge the screen a few mm for the regular and + size.

9. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Why limit yourself to an aspect ratio that suits *some* video?

Phones are used for a million other things. Look at the iPad, Apple made it 4:3 because video is just one thing you can do with it. Same thing with a phone.

Most websites have adaptive layouts that look great in portrait.

And it’s not a marketing choice, it’s a design choice.

10. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

They should make wide rectangle phones, I think that would be the best solution. Being able to handle them properly, fit in pants, etc. shouldn't really be high on the list of requests. Apple is really missing the boat here.

11. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

Right, but you know what they are good for? Viewing 16:9 content AND having on screen navigation buttons not intrude on the area that's playing the media.

12. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

It kind of does. You were the one that said Samsung was the innovator. The poster was just bringing the iPhone 5 to your attention since they were the ones that did it first.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

iPhone 5 is a tall phone that IS 16:9. The OP specifically stated tall phones that are NOT 16:9. So no, Apple did not do it first. iPhone 4s and below were 3:2.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 17, 2017 ---
    Again, doesn't have anything to do with what the OP is talking about; reread the post. The OP is referring to tall screens that are not 16:9, iPhone 5 was a 16:9.

14. ultravegeta1981 macrumors 6502

ultravegeta1981

Does it really matter? Apple is the one who went tall screen with the 5. People jokes about it being a remote controller.

Some people just want to bash Samsung.

15. Jonathantuba macrumors regular

Jonathantuba

I like the iPad screen ratio best. I wish they made iPhone that with that screen shape.

The letter box screen ratio is my main reason NOT to buy the iPhone X

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

And yet you are still wrong and missing the point of the thread. Samsung S3 was introduced before the iPhone 5 and had a tall screen.

Apple went to the 16:9 aspect ratio, the one the OP is calling a non-gimmick. He is saying anything taller than 16:9 is a gimmick, like the iPhone X. I don't understand why you are making it about something else.

17. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

As long as Apple doesn't take away from the width, and shrinks the top/bottom bezels rather than making the form factor too much taller, I welcome more usable area at the top and bottom.

Unfortunately, the iPhone X is more like a taller version of the regular iPhone, not Plus. As a Plus owner, I feel it's better to wait until next year than get a compromised device.

18. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Huh?

You say tall screens are a gimmick, yet when pointed out that Apple did it with the iPhone 5 you say it's got nothing to do with it?

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I feel like a broken record. The OP claimed tall screens that ARE NOT 16:9 are a gimmick. The iPhone 5 is 16:9.

20. nilk macrumors 6502a

What is it about 16:9 that makes it the one true display size for phones?

I haven't had a chance to try this in person, but it at least appears the taller displays make split-screen nicer to use.

I don't think your content claim makes sense. Ok, maybe video doesn't take advantage of it. But most web content and apps flow to fill the screen.

That said, I want a small phone that I can use one-handed. But a tall phone that is not too wide could work for my preferences if I could use the top portion that is out of my thumb's reach for things I don't need to touch (e.g. video playback, status info, information requested from touches in the lower portion, split screen if swapping the panes is very quick, etc) while having everything else within reach.

If the phone is going to be tall anyway, might as well fill it up with screen as long as that doesn't compromise usability or other important aspects. But I'd rather have a smaller phone body as long as we're not making compromises (e.g. losing battery life); I just don't care what the aspect ratio is as long as I can comfortably use it one-handed.

21. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yeah I saw that above AFTER I posted.

For the record though, what's the ratio with the 6 series?

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

6 series what? iPhone 6? It’s 16:9.

23. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Sorry, I refer to the 6/6+/6s/6s+/7/7+/8/8+ as the 6 series because they are all a derivative of the first (the 6/6+).

Thanks.

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Everything post iPhone 4s and pre-X are 16:9.

25. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

well let's hope developers are more creative and adaptive then the plethora of armchair designers we have around here.