Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cozmosis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Hi all,

First experience with Monterey has been with B9 but B10 has same issue - has anyone had issues with tap-to-click? I have a M1 MBA, and very frequently TTC doesn't register my first click. Normal clicks seem to work fine. Tried turning on and off. Anyone experiencing this?

simzen85

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2017
sh*t, I thought it's only me. happened since some recent beta. Anyone knows how to fix this ? Thanks

swanksteak

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2017
Same here… 2017 15" MBP. I turned off three finger dragging in Accessibility and it seemed to help but only for a while. It's now back to the same weird behavior and seems to be getting more frequent over time.

Reactions: helloapple1

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
In addition to the tap-to-click problem, I've also noticed sometimes the cursor freezing and then jumping across the screen when I move it, with either the Magic Trackpad or the Magic Mouse.

It looks like something is periodically breaking the communication between the mouse/trackpad and the OS, for a fraction of a second.

Reactions: helloapple1

simzen85

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2017
This is too frustrating to the point that I'm thinking of going back to Big Sur, damn. First time got this kind of issue with Mac

Reactions: joedec

alexblunck

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2021
Germany
Experiencing the same issue on the brand new 14" MacBook Pro (12.0.1), although it only presents itself when tapping to click with modifier keys (i.e. Cmd + Tap to open link in new Tab or Shift + Tap to multi select range of files in finder).

simzen85

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2017
Have anyone tried to reinstall Monterey without any installed applications to see if the issue still occurs ?

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I've just erased and installed Monterey on my Mac mini M1. Unfortunately the tap-to-click issue still occurs. I didn't install anything else. I just did a quick test: with tap-to-click enabled, I went to System Preferences, looked for any checkbox, then clicked repeatedly on it (on/off). I could clearly see clicks occasionally not registering, just like before.

joptimus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2016
Same problem here, 14" MBP with 12.0.1
I panicked at first thinking my trackpad was broken...so glad it seems to be software!
Still very annoying, hope Apple fixes this quickly. It would help if everyone posted a report with them on this issue.

Reactions: SantaFeNM

Kelos

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2021
Happening to me as well on a new 16" MBP trackpad, as well as while using the magic trackpad. Glad to find out this is a known issue!

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Like I said in other threads, Monterey seems to have big issues with mouse and trackpad responsiveness. Many people, myself included have also problems with the trackpad not always respond to the 2 fingers gestures and secondary clicks. This is a major issue at a point I even think Apple shouldn't release Monterey to the public with a bug like this. This clearly feel like a early beta right now.

I would never thought this release would be the worst I've ever seen since I have a Mac (2015). Right now, the whole experience is affected and its irritating as hell. Apple should release an emergency update ASAP and not wait for months to have a fix because it could be a big factor to switch back to a PC for my next computer and I'm due to upgrade next year.

I'm very disappointed by Apple to release something like that. Its the first time I'm really not happy for the poor quality like this.

pneves1975

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2018
Portugal
Well I have the same problem here on a 2015 15" Macbook Pro. Touch click sometimes does not register, but I have another problem: the "ignore trackpad when mouse is present" is not working. At first it disables trackpad but when mouse disconnects it stays off. In the second activation after mouse present it does not even deactivates.

Tried the setting on my wife Air 2020 i7 and it works as expected. I deleted some plist files (com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad - although I could see the setting being set/unset). No issues with Big Sur. I suspected it was because of a dirty upgrade and installed from scratch - no change.

i can also confirm that 12.1 beta is not working. Filed a bug report.

Paradosso

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2021
Same here. Since I updated to Monterey on my MBP 15" 2019 I have issues with "Tap to Click".
Apple support was unable to help me, just wasting my time.

Reactions: SantaFeNM

VSG

Contributor
Aug 9, 2014
Thanks for sharing everyone, same problem here with iMac 2019 27" and Magic Trackpad.
It doesn't happen all the time, scrolling works as it should but sine updating to Monterey, some first tap-clicks don't register. It's as if the OS is trying to "guess" random clicks and decides I didn't want to click it with a tap.

Let's hope they fix this, soon. Those faulty clicks truly are distracting.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
14" as well.
Bit annoying, but I guess it will be solved with the next update by recalibrating the sensitivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.