Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Old SE stock still in stores since before SEPT 2016? Doesn't sound like an item in much demand. You think with such slow sales that there will be an updated SE?

Reactions: macfacts

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The SE is a heck of a little device for the price. I think people who want a smaller phone are glad that Apple is even bothering, so an upgrade every two years would be better than nothing. It would be nice to have a yearly upgrade, but it's a low margin device—they make up the margins selling it over a two year period as components drop in price. If it does get updated, I expect it to change to 32GB/128GB, perhaps for $399/499.

They could keep the primary internals mostly the same—such as the A9, display, etc, but perhaps upgrade a few things: Barometric pressure sensor for tracking stairs climbed, upgraded FaceTime camera with display flash, or maybe even OIS and/or the same camera module as the iPhone 7, the same faster TouchID sensor found in the 6s onwards, or upgrade the earpiece speaker to be stereo. So that's the low-hanging fruit that probably doesn't require much in the way of external changes. Not saying they would do all, but they could do a few. Going out on a limb, they might integrate 3D Touch, while at the same time eliminating the headphone jack to make room for it. That's a bit bigger change, but at this point we've got the third generation of 3D Touch coming out around September, so it's not novel any more. Apple could add it without hurting sales of other devices. Lastly, they could add water resistance. So yeah, there are a lot of things they could choose from the iPhone 6s and 7 to upgrade it without it really looking much different or being any faster. At a minimum I expect a storage bump and maybe a new color option.

Reactions: mattopotamus

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Touch ID Gen 2, 3D Touch, and you have a sale from me.

I was thinking the same thing. Otherwise if they just bump the storage to 32GB and 128GB and offer no other internal upgrades, I will keep my 64GB SE as the storage space is perfect for me.

Reactions: arkitect

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The SE is a heck of a little device for the price. I think people who want a smaller phone are glad that Apple is even bothering, so an upgrade every two years would be better than nothing. It would be nice to have a yearly upgrade, but it's a low margin device—they make up the margins selling it over a two year period as components drop in price. If it does get updated, I expect it to change to 32GB/128GB, perhaps for $399/499.

They could keep the primary internals mostly the same—such as the A9, display, etc, but perhaps upgrade a few things: Barometric pressure sensor for tracking stairs climbed, upgraded FaceTime camera with display flash, or maybe even OIS and/or the same camera module as the iPhone 7, the same faster TouchID sensor found in the 6s onwards, or upgrade the earpiece speaker to be stereo. So that's the low-hanging fruit that probably doesn't require much in the way of external changes. Not saying they would do all, but they could do a few. Going out on a limb, they might integrate 3D Touch, while at the same time eliminating the headphone jack to make room for it. That's a bit bigger change, but at this point we've got the third generation of 3D Touch coming out around September, so it's not novel any more. Apple could add it without hurting sales of other devices. Lastly, they could add water resistance. So yeah, there are a lot of things they could choose from the iPhone 6s and 7 to upgrade it without it really looking much different or being any faster. At a minimum I expect a storage bump and maybe a new color option.

It is the best bang for buck phone I have owned in a long time. In the last 10 years, I do not think I have had a phone for longer than 4-5 months. I have had the SE exclusively since its launch.

Reactions: macduke and BMcCoy

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Could be a simple business decision. Target is hurting badly. Maybe Target does not have the resources to pay the stocking fees and is downsizing their electronics department. In the coming months Target will be making some very painful business decisions.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I'm very pleased with the SE.
As has been echoed here, with a few internal tweaks and maintaining the price point, I'll stay with the SE.

Don't get me wrong, I think the iPhone 7 is awesome, but for the price and how I personally use a phone, the SE is perfect for me.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I already have one. It's a great phone and I do not mind replacing my other phone with the SE when its contract is due.

Reactions: nt5672

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
It sure sounds to me like the SE may just get a new display yet retain its classic design.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The SE is pretty much the perfect phone for me as it is. If they want to upgrade it, I'd like to see the display updated to modern standards (contrast ratio and brightness), and perhaps a better front camera. Faster Touch ID would be nice, but the existing one works fine. 3D Touch? Meh.

The only thing that could lure me away would be a new phone with a similar form factor but smaller bezels ...

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Nice. I hope Apple just does a spec bump on the SE (CPU, RAM and camera) but otherwise keeps it pretty much the same. Great form factor and Apple seems willing to sell it at a reasonable price.

Upgrade it to what? The iPhone 7 CPU? It's already got 2GB RAM. And it has the same camera as the 6S. They aren't likely going to upgrade the SE past the 6S, which is the exact specs it has at the moment. There's room for improvement on the front, but Apple presumably made no changes there due to the need for a greater redesign, so that's unlikely to happen now especially when the resources can be put into a future new 4" model.

Touch ID Gen 2, 3D Touch, and you have a sale from me.

Not likely to happen, especially 3D Touch which would require a significant redesign of the internals.

Reactions: navier and arkitect

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Upgrade it to what? The iPhone 7 CPU? It's already got 2GB RAM. And it has the same camera as the 6S. They aren't likely going to upgrade the SE past the 6S, which is the exact specs it has at the moment. There's room for improvement on the front, but Apple presumably made no changes there due to the need for a greater redesign, so that's unlikely to happen now especially when the resources can be put into a future new 4" model.

Not likely to happen, especially 3D Touch which would require a significant redesign of the internals.

You are right. I forgot how current the SE was. It won't go to the 7 level this Spring. But I do hope they keep refreshing this form factor.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I use the 16GB SE as my work phone. I also have the 7 Plus for personal use.

The SE is pretty much perfect as my work device, the only change I'd request is 2nd-gen Touch ID. Form factor and battery life are terrific. It seems plenty fast for business applications.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Two favorable things (both unlikely, sadly) that will get me to buy an SE: update it with newer internals or reduce the price to reflect that it's a year old. I'm waiting with my iPhone 6 until Apple gets one of those two done. Will be happy to drop the 4.7" phone.

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
I love my SE. If they get touch ID gen 2, storage upgrade, and go to USB-C, I'll most likely update.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
The storage upgrade would be great. I'd love to see them bump the CPU again (although it already rips through everything) and maybe the 2nd gen fingerprint sensor. The battery life is outstanding.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
the iPhone SE needs second gen. Touch ID, 3D Touch, more storage and new black colour option

What about that hole full of air?
No more 3.5 jack please!

(just kidding, but let's see if they ditch the jack from the smaller model to make it waterproof)

Reactions: rudychidiac

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
SE doesn't need 3D Touch when 3D Touch has been completely forgotten by Apple in software updates. You can't do much with it at all. What started out as a great idea is just another lost cause when Apple is so busy with hardware updates they continue to forget the software that needs to be supported. So until they get serious about fully overhauling IOS, there's zero reason for these additions such as 3D touch.. among plenty of others they've done nothing with.
Huh? iOS 10 added new 3D Touch features, it's not really forgotten.

Reactions: Radeon85

sgreen314

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2013
I'm currently on a 5S with a slightly cracked screen and a failing battery. Virgin Mobile has the 16GB SE on special for $179 for an unknown amount of time. Im trying to figure out what's going on with the SE at the moment to pull the trigger on a cheap update, 16GB is enough for me. VM only has a 7 day return window though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.