Target Working on QR Code Mobile Wallet as Apple Pay Holdout Continues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 18, 2015.

1. BruiserB macrumors 68000

I guess they could have meant that Samsung's implementation of "LoopPay" that they incorporated into SamsungPay will work on their terminals. That just emulates a magnetic card swipe and doesn't use NFC.

But I agree that it seems stupid to have recently upgraded terminals without getting NFC enabled ones.

2. BruiserB macrumors 68000

3. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

That's fantastic for Pay, but not everyone takes Pay. So during the time your card was being replaced, you could only use it with Pay, which is all well and good, but again, not everyone takes Pay. And, even though Chase quickly handled the situation, and I'm not so sure every bank would be as helpful, had you used a different card, in the interim both your Pay and the physical card are still good, so you can use it in this emergency while you wait for your replacement card -- to say nothing about if this had happened while you were traveling. Now given that you have multiple cards, this is less of a problem for you than someone who only has one card tied to Pay for everything. But I have specific cards for specific kinds of purchases, and I like being able to never have to worry about at least one of them -- Pay, and it's always there at the ready no matter what happens to the other two. My cards are all with one bank, they all have the same kinds of rewards and are very easy to manage. Indeed, there's no additional work required to do it this way, and it gives me the added benefit of knowing what's going to be affected if one of my physical cards is compromised, making organizing the recovery of that card very easy.

4. BruiserB macrumors 68000

Your argument is precisely why I (and many others here) am/(are) peeved that more places aren't taking ApplePay/NFC. The problem of waiting for a new card number in the event of something going wrong with ApplePay is eliminated because issuers can immediately change your number. You can even change it yourself by removing and re-adding your card to ApplePay. I'd much rather not have to carry any physical cards with me at all and wish that ApplePay/NFC was widely available. It virtually eliminates the possibility of fraud to begin with as no one ever sees your full card number, and the number is also a token that can be changed quickly and easily. Physical cards with exposed numbers that take time to replace are the security problem....not ApplePay.

5. gijoeinla macrumors 6502a

I agree. Once I started using the chip in the card system I thought that the only good the chip does is do nothing. If you loose your card it still works everywhere until you cancel it. And since online usage is going thru the roof these lame chips do nothing to protect us - correct?

6. tmiw macrumors 68020

How often does that kind of fraud happen though? (Hint: it's not often.) How much more of a pain will the cards end up being if there was a PIN? Keep in mind that you'd likely be made to enter the PIN for every single transaction vs. not being required to do anything for under $50 as it is with swipe/chip and signature.

The major banks have concluded that the latter isn't worth the cost of the former and the rest have basically followed along for the most part. Chip still protects against card cloning, so it's not useless. Not to mention that people still vastly prefer shopping in store to the Internet.

(BTW, 80% of card transactions are for <= $50 according to Visa. Imagine 5x as many transactions taking longer to complete compared to even chip and signature. Food for thought, is all.)

7. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Seriously? How much harder is it to enter 4 numbers while you're standing there waiting to pull your card out anyway? By the way, the "under $50" rule for eliminating signatures is not universal, it's merchant by merchant. I've had to sign for transactions under $5 at some merchants. Moreover, it takes far longer for a chip transaction than when I had to swipe a card. This seems to be a universal complaint across all merchants I've used. Not sure if this will ever improve, but currently it's much worse time wise than swipe and sign. Typing in a pin would certainly be the least of it. Europeans are doing it every day with no problem, only lazy Americans who won't impulse buy if it's too hard would rather open themselves up to credit card fraud, however unlikely, than memorize a few digits and actually be involved in their transaction than texting with their buddies and ignoring the merchant.

8. tmiw macrumors 68020

Actually, considering how much trouble people are having with the chip part, I don't really trust the PIN part to go over well. Also, chip acceptance is still not common enough to where people reasonably won't forget the PIN; forgetting the PIN means that purchases can't happen. Maybe in 5 years or so it'll be a different story.