Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason83

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
PA, USA
So
ApplePay
ChasePay
SamsungPay
LGPay
WalmartPay
TargetPay
ChasePay

We really need Apple and Google to take off and kill these little "me-too's" running around. I'm fine with them, but not like in the case of Target and Walmart blocking the others to promote theirs.
I'm excited for some brand and product specific services. Fruit of the loom Pay, hot pocket Pay, etc.

Reactions: HarryWarden

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Target... the place people will pay a premium to avoid wally world, yet no  Pay? Foolish.

While I would pay a premium to avoid white trash and garbage quality goods, Target is the same or cheaper most of the time in price. Especially with the 5% off with your red card. (Wally is often 2 or 3 cents less).

But, in the case of Target compared to Walmart or others, I use Cartwheel just about every time I go there. If my payment card can be bundled into the app I'm already using at checkout, that's actually a win for me and anyone else who uses the target cartwheel app.

Still.... why are retailers dodging the inevitable? And this crap about "we will have an open mind when we upgrade our credit card readers..." Well, they did that last year. Right after they got hacked. Every store.

Where paying from Cartwheel would be useful for the Target devout stacking the red card 5% on top of extra discounts in cartwheel, CurrentC can suck my butt. It's just a useless pain in the ass, like the walmart app will be. Even the Starbucks app is a pain because of scanning a barcode.

Surely with NFC, it can all be done in a tap. Tap... give me discounts, coupons, and take my money with a tap. CurrentC will never have that simplicity.

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
...with all the security the phones and some of the system having now, you feel safe if you're losing your phone or if it got stollen - coz on top of losing the phone, all your credit cards details are gone as well ?
Very safe. Not 100% safe, but you can never hope to be 100% safe in anything, including your own bed. In order to get to my credit card details a thief would need to have my 15 character password or my fingerprint. Then they'd have to use it before I remotely wiped the phone, which would be within hours (more likely minutes) of losing it. Now, if I were using Android that would be a totally different story, since I'd have to worry about any and all apps that I downloaded.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Very safe. Not 100% safe, but you can never hope to be 100% safe in anything, including your own bed. In order to get to my credit card details a thief would need to have my 15 character password or my fingerprint. Then they'd have to use it before I remotely wiped the phone, which would be within hours (more likely minutes) of losing it.

I wonder how many people would remotely wipe that quickly. A lot of people might hesitate to lose non-backed-up photos and videos. I'd think that there was a better change of someone returning the phone, than of someone hacking into it to read the storage.

Now, if I were using Android that would be a totally different story, since I'd have to worry about any and all apps that I downloaded.

Why? Android users have been able to turn on encryption since Gingerbread.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I wonder how many people would remotely wipe that quickly. A lot of people might hesitate to lose non-backed-up photos and videos. I'd think that there was a better change of someone returning the phone, than of someone hacking into it to read.

But you don't have to remotely wipe quickly unless the person managed to steal your finger as well. There is nothing the thief could get out of the phone that would be useful to them even by hacking as everything in the phone is encrypted. And I'm not 100% sure of this part, but it seems to me that I saw that it may be possible to remotely wipe ApplePay without wiping the whole phone. Maybe someone else can confirm.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Sure, let me trust my money and credit information to a company that don't know or care about customer data security.

I go there cause some game things like Disney Infinity go on sale but I always pay cash. I just don't trust them with my credit card

Can someone explain why some companies are holding out? It doesn't seem like Apple is asking for much income from each transaction.

As I understand it, they aren't asking anything from the merchants. They get like 1% of the bank fee.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Can someone explain why some companies are holding out? It doesn't seem like Apple is asking for much income from each transaction.
Lastly, If target is reading this, I am not looking for exclusive apps to be used at every store - I might as well keep all my credit cards in my wallet. I am looking for a single payment system on my watch or phone. I'd be willing to pay Target the extra penny per transaction for my convenience.
Data is the answer. Apple Pay essentially generates a new card number every time you use it, so there is no way to track that purchse and link it to return visits (other than via a rewards card.)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Its funny how upset people here are getting as if multiple paying options was a new concept. If there are losers the market will whittle down the list in time.

Just an example of all the payment vehicles I regularly use (AMEX or Visa is the root payment for of all them):

1. Metro card when riding the bus or subway (required on DC subways)
2. Starbucks card when at Starbucks -- love those stars!
3. Target Red Card @ Target - 5% discount pays for most of the sales tax and better incentive than Visa or AMEX points.
4. Apple Pay where available
5. Visa at Nordstrom (reward points and free alterations) and stores that don't accept AMEX
6. AMEX just about everywhere else -- Delta AMEX gets my 1st bag free though I try not to check, Gold Premier AMEX gets me $100 in airline extras each year plus accelerated points.

Except for #1 I use all the other payment methods because there is an incentive to do so. For any of the non-native mobile pay schemes to work, i.e., the user has to download an app to enable it, it will need incentives as well. But if you look back to grocery store "loyalty cards," that is exactly how they got customers to use them -- they tied their weekly sales to them. No card, no discount (well usually you can get the cashier to put in a dummy number, but that can be a PITA after awhile). I doubt consumers will use these alternate methods unless the supporting companies give them a reason to do so. The market will work itself out here.

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
Accepting a new type of payment shouldn't be a difficult task to accomplish.

Buy the new Verifone MX925, work with your processor to get certified for EMV and NFC transactions, be done. If you want to track what your customers purchase, attach your loyalty cards Apple Pay like Wegmans and Walgreen's has, or attach your store credit card to Apple Pay.

Only in America would companies whine and try to avoid something and create the most resistance possible before finally giving in to what should've been done in the first place. I should be able to use a contactless card and wave it everywhere for small transactions, and insert it for larger transactions by now.

Verifone and other pin-pad companies shouldn't even sell anything other than consumer facing terminals.

Sometimes I regret living in America between being so far behind the times with everything, and the lack of mandatory vacation time every year.

They're not different things.

NFC payments can (and do in most of the world) use EMV protocols.

I think the part you're missing, is that the NFC Secure Element in the iPhone (or any phone) is simply emulating a card chip. Both a phone and a card are running Java applets provisioned from each credit card scheme. Those applets do the actual encoded transactions.

On the software side, they're essentially the same thing. On the hardware side, one you insert into the terminal, and the other you place near the terminal and it works that way.

One is contact, the other is contactless.

Last edited:

MrShoehorn

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
As I said before, the whole mobile payment is mess. You get Apple Pay which only works with iPhone, you get Samsung Pay which only works with Samsung phones, you get Android pay which works with NFC enabled Android phones, you get current C, Surtap in Canada.

There are too much limitation and so many craps. None of them including Apple Pay will take off. All those mobile payment crap do not make wallet irreverent and just to much of chaos.

I still believe industry need come together to develop a unified solution for mobile payment that works with all NFC enabled phone regardless iPhone, Android, WP or BlackBerry. Otherwise, I do not see how mobile Payment can take off anytime.

Eh, it's really not as complicated as you make it seem. iOS users use Apple Pay, Android Users use Android Pay. Done.
The only real difference with Samsung Pay is the ability to use non nfc terminals, since they have their MST thingy. All retailers need to do is enable nfc. It's very easy for a user to buy an iPhone and setup Apple Pay, it's very easy for that same user to buy an Android phone and setup Android Pay. There isn't any complications or confusion about which one you need on which device. If that same user buys a Samsung they'll setup Samsung Pay because that's what is presented to them directly. All of which can be done very quickly without any hassle.

It's extremely difficult to make a wallet irrelevant. You need to carry an id, sometimes cash and usually a backup card. I've downsized tremendously, I have my 3 id's and one card, all in my phone case. I'll keep a 20 or two in my truck.

WigWag Workshop

macrumors 6502
The only products I buy from Target is bathroom/household stuff has they usually have great deals. That being said, I always order on-line and have it delivered because of the free shipping. However, I don't see why these merchants are not embracing all forms of legitimate payments. Is the fact they can't track your purchases worth so much to them, that losing business is worth the trade off?

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
I wonder how many people would remotely wipe that quickly. A lot of people might hesitate to lose non-backed-up photos and videos. I'd think that there was a better change of someone returning the phone, than of someone hacking into it to read the storage.
Many people do many stupid things. The question was about how secure we feel. Knowing that it's nearly impossible for a thief to hack into my phone before I can wipe it makes me feel very secure.
Why? Android users have been able to turn on encryption since Gingerbread.
Encryption can't help you if you've got a key logger on your Android phone and it's sending your passwords and other account information to a server somewhere. Android security is a nightmare and adding encryption is just theater. If you paid me to use an Android phone I still wouldn't put any financial or any other sensitive information on it. It's much better to be in the walled garden.

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
The only real difference with Samsung Pay is the ability to use non nfc terminals, since they have their MST thingy.
Let's remember that Android is highly insecure, so storing credit card information on a Samsung phone is inadvisable.

I don't have a problem with multiple pay options but let's not pretend they're all the same. Apple Pay is fast and secure, with the only known security issue being that some banks early on were not careful about who they let add a card to an iPhone. Some of these other systems are slow, inconvenient, and/or insecure.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Only in America would companies whine and try to avoid something and create the most resistance possible before finally giving in to what should've been done in the first place. I should be able to use a contactless card and wave it everywhere for small transactions, and insert it for larger transactions by now.

More like: only in America do people whine as if they are owed something, the moment they hear about it.

The fact, is, other countries did not convert overnight. Not even close. It's taken years / decades for them to get where they are.

Also, unlike much of the world, US banks have had the advantage all these years of realtime authorizations, plus some of the most sophisticated fraud detection authorization software on the planet... which has allowed them to delay while other banks had no choice.

Most importantly, EMV is a two decade old standard that might not be the best solution for today. I think that US banks are still feeling out what really should be done for the future.

Sometimes I regret living in America between being so far behind the times with everything, and the lack of mandatory vacation time every year.

Actually, I quite like the fact that I don't have to enter a PIN for credit transactions, and that I'm fully covered for any fraud.

I agree with you about vacation, though :)

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
So this is all about tracking what you buy.

We have a winner! Yes, that is why these retailers want their own pay system. Of course, they will implement them differently, and they will be hacked. After the last debacle, you think Target would leave the pay system to the adults.

I enjoy using Apple Pay....easy, convenient, no brainer.

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
More like: only in America do people whine as if they are owed something, the moment they hear about it.

The fact, is, other countries did not convert overnight. Not even close. It's taken years / decades for them to get where they are.

Also, unlike much of the world, US banks have had the advantage all these years of realtime authorizations, plus some of the most sophisticated fraud detection authorization software on the planet... which has allowed them to delay while other banks had no choice.

Most importantly, EMV is a two decade old standard that might not be the best solution for today. I think that US banks are still feeling out what really should be done for the future.

Actually, I quite like the fact that I don't have to enter a PIN for credit transactions, and that I'm fully covered for any fraud.

I agree with you about vacation, though :)

Doesn't matter. Credit and debit card fraud has been a huge problem in this country for many years, even with the advanced fraud detection software. The EMV shift should've taken place 4-5 years ago (at least).

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Eh, it's really not as complicated as you make it seem. iOS users use Apple Pay, Android Users use Android Pay. Done.
The only real difference with Samsung Pay is the ability to use non nfc terminals, since they have their MST thingy. All retailers need to do is enable nfc. It's very easy for a user to buy an iPhone and setup Apple Pay, it's very easy for that same user to buy an Android phone and setup Android Pay. There isn't any complications or confusion about which one you need on which device. If that same user buys a Samsung they'll setup Samsung Pay because that's what is presented to them directly. All of which can be done very quickly without any hassle.

Chase apparently only supports Samsung Pay and Apple Pay and not Android Pay. That's why fragmentation in the mobile payment space is not a good thing.

yankinwaoz

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
From what I heard, the Engineers for Walmart and Target saw SQRL and realized that is what they really wanted. So it sounds like Target is taking SQLR (which is open source) and running with it as an alternative to Apple Pay.

https://www.grc.com/sqrl/sqrl.htm

Makes sense. Target and Walmart don't want to have Apple demanding a slice of their revenue.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
From what I heard, the Engineers for Walmart and Target saw SQRL and realized that is what they really wanted. So it sounds like Target is taking SQLR (which is open source) and running with it as an alternative to Apple Pay.

https://www.grc.com/sqrl/sqrl.htm

Makes sense. Target and Walmart don't want to have Apple demanding a slice of their revenue.

SQRL is just an authentication mechanism, not something to facilitate payments. And Apple wasn't going to charge Target and Walmart money.

Reactions: aristobrat

kdarling

macrumors P6
Let's remember that Android is highly insecure, so storing credit card information on a Samsung phone is inadvisable.

Besides Samsung Pay running in a hardware KNOX partition for security, no account number is stored, only tokens.

In fact, even its magnetic swipe payment method uses issuer based tokens instead of the real account number.

Thus anyone who claims to be truly concerned about payment security (which is mostly people being dramatic to begin with, since consumers are covered and it's usually just an inconvenience), should be using a Samsung S6 or Note 5 with Samsung Pay, so that they're protected by tokens even at the millions of sales terminals that still only take swipe cards.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
Apple doesn't take a slice of their revenue, Apple takes a slice of MasterCard and Visa's revenue. Target and Walmart don't get a better discount rate for non-Apple Pay transactions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.