TaskPaper - Outline/Todo-Sync between PPC/intel-Macs and iOS

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bobesch, Mar 1, 2017.

1. bobesch, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

I've searching for a long time for a simple non-distracting Outliner for use on my PowerBook, MacBook and iPhone.
    During the last days I rediscovered "Taskpaper" and it's qualities of being a text only solution, with files, that will even survive a sudden death of it's applications (which will hopefully never happen) and can be read and even edited with any text-editor.
    I use the (now free) TaskPaper1.0 application on PPC (http://support.hogbaysoftware.com/t/where-can-i-download-older-versions-1-2-of-taskpaper/1754), latest TaskPaper3 with Sierra/ElCapitan and Taskmator on iOS. All devices stay synched with the still working DrpBx (thanx @Czo). Since I only keep that single TaskPaper-folder in sync with my PowerBook there's no delay in synching.
    Hopefully DrpBx-Sync will stay alive for longer to keep this solution working.

Short description/structure of TaskPaper-files:

Titel:
    - List
    - List @tag
    - List @tag(yyyy-mm-dd) for due date
    text text text
    text text text
    etc.

Lines can be dragged and dropped and Titels or @tags can be filtered.
    That's the main principle, but I feel very comfortable with that simplicity.

Reminds me to the old PalmOS-times, where simple text-based solutions like memoleaf (http://www.redwood-creative.com/global/memoleaf.htm) and thoughtmanager (https://web.archive.org/web/20050410031622/http://handshigh.com/html/thoughtmanager.html) had been my peripheral brain ...

2. bobesch thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Dropbox-Sync workaround for PPCs

Today I checked a workaround for the time coming, when there's no more working Dropbox-client for PPC/Leopard.
    It uses file-sharing with a connected intel-mac within my home-network.
    The intel-mac holds the Dropbox-folder which is in sync with Dropbox.
    On the PPC I opend that shared Dropbox-folder, created an Alias of my TaskPaper-Folder wihthin the remote Dropbox-Folder and placed it onto my PPC's desktop (this can be done with any other folder or the whole remote Dropbox-Folder too)
    By clicking onto the Alias, my PPC automatically connects to my intel-Macs connected folder and I have access to the folder, which is in sync to Dropbox.
    In combination with "ChronoSync" it's also possible to sync a local PPC folder with a correspondant remote Dropbox-folder on the connected intel-mac.
    This is certainly nothing new to most of the members here in the forum, but I was quite happy about finding out about this option, even if it's limited to my home-network and another (intel-)Mac.
    Since I mainly use my iOS device for TaskPaper-input when away from home, the file-sharing-trick gives me the option to also use my PPC for editing Taskpaper-files and keep them simply in sync with my Dropbox-account and iOS-devices.
    I wonder, if there's a "Back To My Mac" option to connect my PPC with the intel-MAC at home....?

3. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I haven't tested the app yet, but if it really isn't working, @Czo may release a new patch soon.

4. bobesch thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Fortunately there might be patches for a while, but it's a good idea to look for workarounds before the service isn't available on PPC anymore...
    Forking "Cyberduck" to meet the current demands on connecting to Dropbox would be a great think, but I have zero knowledge about programming.
    Would be a great deal for croudfunding ...

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Dropbox is working.

You are the second person this week to wonder if it is or not.

I assure you. It's working.

Finder.png

6. bobesch thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobesch

As for me - I know.
    Just thought about the days after ...

Here's another option I'm gonna check over the weekend:
    WinXPFundamentals within VirtualPC with folder-sharing between the VM and the Mac.
    Unfortunately "Mountainduck" for Windows (which allows Dropbox-Access) requires Win7.

Maybe a small Linux-Distribution within VirtualPC might offer a running Dropbox-Client etc. too, but I didn't succeed with some small distributions yet...

7. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah…of course now that two people this week started talking about it NOT working, guess what?

Now, it is not. Will have to post in the thread later and see if Czo can update. :(