Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I haven't watched iJustine's video yet, but let me guess what she says:

OMG IT"S, LIKE, SOOO COOOL. WOW WHAT AN AWESOME MAC!

Has she ever made an even slightly-negative comment about anything - ever?!
Her claim to fame is being pretty and cute in a nerd world. I find her videos very annoying.
Please people, don't get all sensitive and mad. Just an opinion. ;)

lantree

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
For once I was impressed by iJustine's video for a change.
When she was shooting and editing the three 8k Red camera footage video.
I'm not a video editor by trade more of a sound person ,but it showed what this machine can do.
The cringe bit was the hugging of the display.

Reactions: AdeFowler

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
There was a time when I would take out a 2nd mortgage to buy a new MacPro. I still have my last MacPro tower sitting in the original box, and it was great! Likewise, I also have the first Intel-based Mac laptop. Today, I admire the new MacPro 'LOOK,' but I no longer trust the reliability of Apple software and hardware. I'm still having issues with my 2017 MacBook Pro after the atrocious update 10.15.x, and yes, I have another defective keyboard key.

Regrettably, I may never buy another Apple product. That hurts as I have nearly every product they make. My iPhone XS Max, with the equally appalling iOS 13.2.3, is still causing me frustration. I suppose I became jaded by decades of love and somewhat trouble-free issues in my 36-years (no typo) of being an Apple consumer. Today, I feel entirely different. I wish the best of luck to those that acquire the new sexy MacPro.

Last edited:

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I'm really sad my Apple Tower dreams got shot in the head when they announced the pricing on this thing.

I did my waiting...12 years of it...in Azkaban...for nothing.

What an amazing machine this is, in both a positive and a negative way.

I guess I better force myself to love iOS... and shrivel up in my Mac Pro envy. :(
Why do you need a Mac Pro? Your reasoning behind this is flawed. "I cannot afford a Mac Pro... so I am stuck with an iOS device?" There are several products in between that a more reasonably priced than a Mac Pro... but can still outperform and do more than an iOS device. Hell... even a mid spec'd Mac Mini can outperform an iPad Pro... and from your desire to own a Mac Pro, I don't think portability is a priority to you.
[automerge]1576008656[/automerge]
How many of those subscribers are interested in buying a $6,000 desktop computer?
They don't necessarily need to hook new purchasers of the Mac Pro. They need to send out the message to the masses... "Hey... Apple still makes cool new stuff."

vir2l2k

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2019
look at the rich youtuber kids getting a pro machine. like dogs with a chess board. give it to the real pros please. also it’s ironic how bad youtube compresses ijustines 8k video it looks worse than on an iphone. i wonder whether the 20 employees doing the real work also got sponsored pro machines.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Does this take Samsung NVME drives and RAM from the retail shelf or you're stuck with what you bought on day one?

MGrayson3

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
There was a time when I would take out a 2nd mortgage to buy a new MacPro. I still have my old MacPro sitting in the original box, and it was great! Today, I admire the new MacPro 'LOOK,' but I don't trust the macOS anymore. I'm still having issues with my 2017 MacBook Pro after the atrocious update 10.15.x.

I may never buy another Apple product. Believe me, that hurts as I have nearly every product they make. My iPhone XS Max, with the equally appalling iOS 13.2.3, is still causing me frustration. I suppose I became jaded by decades of love and somewhat trouble-free issues in my 36-years (no typo) of being an Apple consumer. Today, I feel entirely different. I wish the best to those of luck (you'll need it) with your new sexy MacPro.
I started in 1984. Aside for a three year gap (Sculley), I've been a constant Mac user. As an IBM employee, I had a Mac IIfx as my office machine. Since I did scientific computing, I needed whatever their most powerful machine was. But then Video came along, and everything *I* needed a computer for became trivial. Storage? Pfft! Load an image? Instant. This was very helpful, until the machines started to specialize. The 6,1 was the first Mac that was a waste of resource *for me*. I went, reluctantly, to the iMac. Even today, where Photography is my most computer intensive application, an iMac5K is probably best. (I have a fancy wide color gamut monitor, but it's really not THAT critical.) Yes, I miss the "Wooah! So Cool!" feeling of a Mac Pro. But I see no reason to drop Apple. Sure, an Alienware Threadripper would be faster. I don't care. I'm not speed limited.

LuciusWrong

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019
This type of "pro" is different from the "pro" in iPads and iPhones. Youtubers do a terrific job, however they can talk about specs, looks and price, full reviews should be conducted by professionals who use these kind of hardware and demand every bit from these computers. When you do things like that, then the price is not that high.

Yeah, youtubers are amateurs compared to the kind of "professionals" these units are designed for. This is meant to live in the kind of studio where a single microphone, or the monitor speakers, can cost as much as this machine does.

Reactions: MNJohn

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Why would she? Then she wouldn’t get free toys.

I haven't watched iJustine's video yet, but let me guess what she says:

OMG IT"S, LIKE, SOOO COOOL. WOW WHAT AN AWESOME MAC!

Has she ever made an even slightly-negative comment about anything - ever?!

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I am really waiting for professionals using this. Not YT folks. Real pro enviroment situations like 3D rendering, FCP, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
YouTube techie culture has become super harmful IMHO.

a) They're not really experts on any of the stuff they're talking about--they are just good at shooting/editing video. Some of them are kind of funny sometimes, but I find most of them to be absolutely insufferable, self important, and arrogant.

b) They will say literally anything to generate clicks, subscriptions, and affiliate link clicks. Their very livelihoods depend on those three things.

c) Because of the first two reasons, you're not really getting good information from them. You're just hearing what they need you to hear in order for them to stay in business on YouTube.

I use YouTube for a lot of different things, but getting good information on tech, especially when it comes to Apple stuff, is not one of them.

LuciusWrong

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019
Her claim to fame is being pretty and cute in a nerd world. I find her videos very annoying.
Please people, don't get all sensitive and mad. Just an opinion. ;)

She's a five-long!

(Sorry, lego joke...I saw a documentary about lego people on netflix...)

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
The only sad thing is that they went with Intel. They could have had Threadripper and PCIe 4.0. But they’re probably squeezing Intel on those CPUs so much that you can hear the scream a bit every time you turn on a MacPro ;-)
Disappointing Apple always comes at a price for a supplier.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
I used to review tech software, hardware and books. I kept all the books, software and some hardware but not laptops or desktops.

Jeremy
Dude...the father of MacRumors Arnold Kim (@arn) liked your comment! I would be so ecstatic if I were you haha

Update: He just liked mine too! That's awesome. I feel like MacRumors royalty now or something ?
[automerge]1576010314[/automerge]
Wow she surely put that Mac Pro to good use! Can there even BE more useless Apple youtuber?
I LOVE iJustine! She's actually one of the most popular Apple youtubers. Up there with MKBHD and EverythingApplePro

Last edited:
Reactions: rosegoldoli and arn

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
There was a time when I would take out a 2nd mortgage to buy a new MacPro. I still have my old MacPro sitting in the original box, and it was great! Today, I admire the new MacPro 'LOOK,' but I no longer trust the reliability of Apple software and hardware. I'm still having issues with my 2017 MacBook Pro after the atrocious update 10.15.x.

I may never buy another Apple product. That hurts as I have nearly every product they make. My iPhone XS Max, with the equally appalling iOS 13.2.3, is still causing me frustration. I suppose I became jaded by decades of love and somewhat trouble-free issues in my 36-years (no typo) of being an Apple consumer. Today, I feel entirely different. I wish the best of luck to those that acquire the new sexy MacPro.

Sympathetic to it. I'd say the original 'Mac fans' have been left behind. I still miss the stability of some of the older OSX's. I trusted my Mac completely and now I really do not.

Reactions: idktbh and Tilopa

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I like how much joy iJustine and Jonathan show with these systems. I mean I know they're not for everybody I just like to see people happy and you can see how giddy they are to receive these computers from Apple.

Reminds me of how I first felt opening an iBook G4 or iPod all those years ago.

defboob

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
I'd like to see some real world professional usage of these machines. This feels like a circle here, consider this:

Apple gives the machines to these YouTube stars, who in turn use them to make YouTube videos, in which we watch. Vast majority of people watching the videos are not going to do their own hardcore video encoding like this, with the type of camera power these folks have at their disposal. In the end, all we do is watch the end result video in a normal browser (come on, 8K...) and drool over how they trimmed down minutes of encoding time with the insane computing power at hand which most of us have no reason to use.

Simply put, here's a crazy powerful computer to encode youtube videos that end up just being used for the sake of making youtube videos faster for public consumption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.