Techhouseuk.com anyone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gazfocus, Sep 22, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Not much of a web presence to date, and no obvious contact information on the main page. Plus, the images for Paypal and Google Checkout are just that, images, and not links to those services.

Buyer beware. If it were my money, I'd stay away.

3. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Steer well clear. A DNS look-up also has no contact details.

4. adom macrumors 6502

5. lukemilnes macrumors member

Dont go any where near these guys. I placed an order for an external hard drive on the 10th September.

Ive recieved nothing! Ive e-mailed them and they replied, saying it should be with you in the next 2-3 days, if not they would contact parcel force.

I took steps to track the parcel myself and upon contacting parcel force, they have nothing listed for delivery at my address. hence these guys have not posted anything.

ive just sent another e-mail to them requesting more information and a contact number. im not optimistic!

6. lukemilnes macrumors member

Well just to update. After trying to contact TechHouseUk, and getting no response. I set up a dispute with Paypal. Within 3 hours i had received a full refund.

Still this must be stopped. How can we get the site taken down, so more people don't become victims of fraud? Is there a place we can report this site?

7. adom macrumors 6502

True. Probably somewhere like trading standards. I'll ask my dad at some point today, he works for them.

/hides the copied dvds he's borrowing off a friend. lol

8. Why-I-eyes-ya macrumors newbie

lukemilnes - How did you get the refund so quick?

I have the same problem with these guys. Ordered a Wacom tablet that hasn't turned up - an I expect never will.

Started the dispute and claim process with PayPal, but it says I have to wait until the 5th Oct until they look into it further.

cheers

9. GrumpyGuts macrumors newbie

DO NOT BUY FROM THESE GUYS!!!

I have just fallen victim to this "company", spending £245 on a DLSR camera (too cheap, eh), expecting it to arrive in 6-8 working days. 11 working days later, never arrived....

I love Paypal, opened a dispute and gonna get a refund!

Please be careful, look websites up on the domain search before ordering! This is Techhouseuk...

Registrant:
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States

Domain Name: TECHHOUSEUK.COM
    Created on: 23-Jun-08
    Expires on: 24-Jun-09
    Last Updated on: 23-Jun-08

Administrative Contact:
    Private, Registration
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Technical Contact:
    Private, Registration
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Please note that the addresses you see are not Techhouseuk, it is for the website host! There is no address for this company! Also note how recently the website was setup...

10. djkylej macrumors newbie

I fallen for them too. £500 on a laptop.

I've opened a dispute too but the more I look into it I think we're up the creek without a paddle.

Disputes with paypal for ebay transactions are different to non ebay.

Basically, ebay transactions you'll get the refund up to £500 no questions asked. Paypal will pay it for you. For non ebay transactions they will "try to recover the funds from the paypal account". I'm pretty sure any funds in that account will now be transferred to a false bank account and emptied long ago.

That being the case we won't get a refund from Paypal.

My hope, if that is the case, is that my credit card company (who I paid paypal from) will give me some sort of fraud protection. Not sure though, looking more into that I'm maybe only covered for "unauthorised transactions" ie someone using my card without my approval, not dodgy "fly by night" companies.

Hope I'm wrong!

Let me know how you get on. I've got another 28 days to wait from paypal............

11. junkacc macrumors newbie

I've fallen victim to these guys too :(

Tried buying a home cinema system and did not arrive (its now the 11th business day), and now of course theres no hope of getting it.

I was just wondering how did you guys get your money back from PayPal so quickly? I set up a dispute yesterday but says I have to wait until the 6 October for the seller to reply. Have I went to the wrong option within PayPal? Or does it depend on what type of account you have with them?

Obviously the sooner I can try and get my money back, is hugely appreciated.

12. mojo007 macrumors newbie

Fraud Fraud Fraud!!!!!!!!!

Same experience, ordered a £365 laptop, waited for delivery, nothing arrived. No answer to e-mails, have registered dispute with Paypal, escalated to a claim immediately. How did some of you guys get a refund so quickly? Any info gratefully received...I can NOT afford to lose £365!!!! How do these people live with themselves..?

13. GrumpyGuts macrumors newbie

I'm also interested in how you can get a refund in three hours!

I was so excited getting my camera. Now I have to wait weeks before I can get money back.

14. djkylej macrumors newbie

I seriously don't think we're going to get a penny back guys. Read the paypal website, for non ebay transactions you're only covered for funds that they can recover from the paypaal account.

My bet is that account was emptied about the same time as the first dispute was filed.

15. mojo007 macrumors newbie

Tech House UK

A search of Companies House records shows a "Tech House UK" registered on 29th July 2008 with a registered office address at
    SUITE 401 CUMBERLAND HOUSE
    80 SCRUBS LANE
    LONDON
    UNITED KINGDOM
    NW10 6RF
    Company No. 06658556

If this is the same company as the website, then it is a registered UK company and I believe that should protect UK buyers who paid via credit card under current legislation. BUT does anyone know how to link the internet site company with the registered company - the addresses given are not the same?

16. GrumpyGuts macrumors newbie

Right, thanks for that information...

The US address is the website host, in otherwords they have used an American host to build their website. The London address must be where they operate.

I'm going to report these guys to the police.

17. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

do not think you guys will like my 2p worth. If you pay Pay Pal with a credit card then the CC company only have to protect you from Pay Pal going bust or failing to deliver. The CC company are not responsible for other 3rd parties.

Scrubs Lane in the address is the location of HMP Wormwood Scrubs. They must be jokers.

If it sounds too good to be true ...

18. Why-I-eyes-ya macrumors newbie

How the hell can anyone register an business address at a prison?! :mad:
    Does no one check these things?

If they took all the money out of the PayPal account a couple of weeks ago then it's going to be difficult to get our money back.
    But PayPal freezes funds in an account when a dispute is started, and if enough of us started a dispute before they took the money out, then PayPal might have frozen the whole account.
    Although if lukemilnes got his money back in 3 hours and he rest of us haven't, it doesn't look good.
    Not going to use PayPal outside of ebay again.

If they took the money out of PayPal, then they it will have gone into a bank account. If they have a bank account, then there is a chance they can be traced - you can't just walk into a bank and withdraw £10,000's in cash without some very good ID.

Is there anyway we can make sure PayPal are investigating and not just waiting around for a reply from them?

Grumpy Guts - Let us know how it goes with reporting it to the police. I'll do the same. And if everyone else does the same, then the police might take it seriously.

:mad::mad::mad:

19. GrumpyGuts macrumors newbie

This is the address of HMP Wormwood Scrubs:

HMP Wormwood Scrubs
    P.O. Box 757
    Du Cane Road
    London
    W12 OAE

This isn't the same as the business address. The business is located NW in London, whereas W is West London.
    When I looked up the road on MultiMap, the buildings there look like warehouses and such. Hmm.....

I hope I do get my dosh back!

20. Why-I-eyes-ya macrumors newbie

Cheers GrumpyGuts, should have checked. Forgot that some people can be idiots.
    Did a quick google search for the Cumberland house address.
    The building's full of offices for all sorts of random companies
    http://www.londononline.co.uk/area/Scrubs_Lane_NW10/
    def not a warehouse, but could be just one of those places people rent as an business address, but never operate from there.

21. jamesbland macrumors newbie

Hi, im not a Mac user but i have registered to let you know what is happening to me with regards to this site. I ordered an LG moniter on 17th of September. I decided to email them today as i have had nothing yet. I am getting bounce back on the email, mail box is full. This is for both address on the temp front page.

Also a check of the postcode and address on royalmails site brings up this

Myrecruiter.co.uk
    322 St. John Street
    LONDON
    EC1V 4NT

My paypal payment went to a company called WEB&NET LTD. Cant find anything on them.

Has anyone had anything from them yet??

22. GrumpyGuts macrumors newbie

I threatened them with legal action today, so we MIGHT hear from the little worms tomorrow, if not, my spear comes out!

Web&net LTD came out with a phone number. They are computer servicers, apparently. I'll try that number...
    I think there is a link here. TechhouseUK may have been setup to fund this company if the Paypal payment went to them. I'll have to dig this up!

UPDATE: I have just got a bounce-back from the e-mail I sent. Looks like they've stopped using them! Cheeky ****s!

23. trollbooster macrumors newbie

First and probably last post here chaps

Just came across this forum when doing a search for TechhouseUK..

I saw their web-site and the prices (actually it was posted on UKSAABs, where I normally live)

I bought (ha-ha) a Fuji Digital camera for my daughter, but I used my Barclaycard.

I have never trusted PayPal since they stuffed me for fifty quid on some stuff I sold - and got positive feedback for - but the buyer waited 45 days and dropped a dispute in. PayPal made no attempt to help me, just threatened me with court action until I paid the £50 into my Paypal account.

Barclaycard have suspended my payment pending their investigations, which I suspect will reveal the fraud. I have contacted the met (only 300 miles from my home!)

I'm thinking thank goodness I didn't use Paypal, although when I reported it (TechhouseUK actually sent me a Paypal receipt! Go figure - I bet the number is the same on all of them ) to Paypal they were very helpful. It is a shame that they keep sending me the survey and I have to say on it that I won't recommend them, and why.

Good luck guys, but unless you used a credit card directly, you are subject to Paypals rules.....

Anyway, better open another Window...

/coat...

24. Moks macrumors member

Just visited the website...

"As part of our efforts to improve your experience we are updating our website. We look forward to serving your needs soon."