Teenagers Banned from Apple Store

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ProwlingTiger, May 31, 2008.

1. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

http://consumerist.com/tag/overreac...they-are-banned-from-the-apple-store-for-life

2. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

That story just seems too weird...

What exactly did they do to deserve being detained?

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

i read this earlier

there is always more to these kinds of stories than we actually hear about

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

They added applications to the store iPhones, which means they jailbroke them in the store. They deserved whatever treatment they got.

5. mr.light macrumors 6502

Yup. They never ever do anything wrong. They are being picked on by the establishment etc. etc. Just because they are young...

Did they explain why they were "hacking" into the iphones?

6. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

They should have kept walking...once you leave the store the manager can gripe and groan all he wants, but they can't chase you down on the street.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

hmmmmmm

maybe they shudda not screwed with the iphones :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. danny_w macrumors 601

That probably depends on the complaint. A shoplifter can certainly be detained even outside the store.

9. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Doesn't matter, it's still illegal for a private citizen to chase another down on the street, especially if they're acting on behalf of a corporation. The fact that they did something (minorly) wrong doesn't give the manager the right to do whatever he wants.

True, but if you try to detain someone for shoplifting and they haven't done anything wrong, they have every right to punch you in the face if you touch them in any way. For this reason, general SOP for shoplifting is to call the police, get security footage, and detain them BEFORE they leave the store.

10. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I can't stand consumerist. As an employee at circuit city, I see my company get dogged on all the time. Like Macdawg says, there are always two sides to the story. In most cases, the customer is an a**hole, like many customers are. In this story, the kids most likely jailbroke the phones, which is not allowed. If consumerist got what they wanted, retail stores would not exist anymore.

Sheesh.

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Mmm...I basically sold an iPhone to a friend while Jailbreakme.com was still alive by showing him what could be done with it, at Regent Street...

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

no, and that is not what i said at all
    but that is pure deflection to blame the store for bad behavior but excuse the kids

my point was, they should not have messed with the iphones
    that is where the issue started

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

13. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

I agree that they shouldn't have f***ed with any property that wasn't there's..

However if I had been in their position afterwards I would have KEPT ON WALKING, even if it wouldn't have been the 'right' thing to do.

The fact that they stopped probably shows that they were scared and knew they were doing something 'wrong' by jailbreaking the iPhones..

14. mr.light macrumors 6502

Well at least they did go back. That's a bit of a redemption.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, you can only detain someone if you actually SAW them take something and walk out.

Physically detaining someone you didn't actually see steal can immediately lead to kidnapping and physical assault charges.

Basically, a store commits a felony in order to stop a misdemeanor. Heck even a misdemeanor charge can cost the store when the person files civil charges for detaining them.

So basically keep walking until they grab you and start screaming, Ow ow that hurts when they take you back. And then the first words out of your mouth when the cops show up is, I'd like to file assault and kidnapping charges.

That doorway check insult is pointless at the store and completely voluntary, since most areas you can just keep walking due to the above.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They acted like smart-asses and got caught at it.

Bet it was their giggling, like little schoolgirls, that gave them away.

:rolleyes:

17. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Actually, I believe LP associates who have been trained and are certified to apprehend shoplifters. Stores like mine who have no LP associate are a stomping ground for shoplifters. We watch people steal, they walk through the security checks which beep, and they smile and walk on.

18. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I think Apple should ban all teenagers from anything but the kiddy section anyway.:D I'm tired of wanting to really see how a machine works while waiting behind a bunch of giggling tweenagers playing for many minutes and not spending a dime on anything. They almost all seem oblivious to anyone else and are rather rude.

Spongebob on iMacs w. parental controls set to max. is all they deserve. Oh, maybe they can play with a shuffle, too.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Scan their credit cards on the way in.

If they don't have any "room" for the cheapest product in the store, give them the heave-ho.

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It's compulsory to have a credit card?

21. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

It's compulsory to buy something?

The cheapest product in the store is a $10 iTunes gift card, if it's not a set of replacement foam pads for iPod earbuds or a belt clip or something like that. Even such a check wouldn't be very useful.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The thrust was if you can't buy, or are not planning to buy, get out.

This isn't an amusement park, it's a place of business, and legitimate customers want a place at the table.

23. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

ohhh, do i detect another cranky old fart????;)

24. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

perhaps yellow can add a "cranky old fart - o - meter" in this thread like his "creep-o-meter"

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

25. mr.light macrumors 6502

You can count me as "another cranky old fart". Last summer, my wife and I went into the Apple store to look at the iMacs. Wanted to try them both to figure out which to buy, the 20 or the 24. It took nearly and hour to get to them because of all the kids (young adults?) playing on them. We finally had to be rude and ask one group if they were planning on buying one. Since they were not we suggested they clear off so that we could have a look to buy one. They were not happy with us.:rolleyes: