Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antnythr

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2020
I love how the Vision Pro truly defines the computing experience I've been missing all these years. I love how I can use the same flat apps, but visionOS makes me feel like they're floating right in front of me! The translucent window blur is groundbreaking, the background is breathtaking. The future is now!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you got a $3500 headset and your buddy has a $3500 headset you can throw 💩💩💩 emojis at each other for free.

That’s the power of Apple Vision Pro.

I'm thinking of a radiologist looking at some CAT scan images in 3D using the headset who wants to use Telegram without taking the headset off. There ARE reasonable use cases for this where $3,500 is pocket change.

In fact, many radiologists will spend $3,500 on just an LCD monitor screen.

I might someday use VR for my work in robotics simulations. $3,500 is not much compared to. a $100K machine that is being developed. But really, Occulus works for this at 1/7th of the price.

Reactions: swiftapplefan

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm thinking of a radiologist looking at some CAT scan images in 3D using the headset who wants to use Telegram without taking the headset off. There ARE reasonable use cases for this where $3,500 is pocket change.

I might someday use VR for my work in robotics simulations. $3,500 is not much compared to. a $100K machine that is being developed. But really, Occulus works for this at 1/7th of the price.

This device won’t be used in hospitals and doctor’s offices. It isn’t targeted at that market segment and it would likely need FDA approval to deploy in that context.

Erlendmarkussen

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
Not very much interesting to see in the demo... But I'm not surprised Telegram are on this - they're always early in supporting APIs and stuff today.

I just use Telegram for chats with my friends and small groups. And for that, it's by far the best chat app. It's what you get when a chat app actually tries, instead of just relying on lock-in.

And while there are more secure options out there, they at least don't track you or serve you ads.

(I think they have some, track-less, ads in big channels. But as I don't use that part of the app, I've never seen any.)

I don't love the owners, but I like Meta less I think (which is the alternative here). And while, for instance, Signal would be a more secure option, with more sympathetic owners, it's already a big ask to get friends and family to install an app. And then I at least want it to be great (and not just good, as Signal is).

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Apple should create a projector on the ceiling that can beam videos 360• with auto focus and adjust to walls just like vision os, so we wouldn’t need that helmet…
Yeah this is ultimately the only way any of these things are going to truly take off. When I say take off, I mean in the context of a phone, TV, computer, etc. I do think that is something we will see within our lifetime and if it’s done right, whoever that company may be, will basically control the narrative and be on the top of the heap like Apple became after the iPhone.

I think that is a fun thought but ultimately I don’t think a first gen product should be used in that manner. Maybe used by a hospital network to research the idea for when it is more practical. These dumb things need you to go into an Apple Store just to make sure they fit your face, and pretty sure more than one person would need access to it within a medical setting.

Reactions: JustSomebody12

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
Y’all are so cynical. It’s just a chat app - something they’ve confirmed will be more than just the iOS/iPadOS version in compatibility mode. It will be pinned off somewhere in the shared space and just sit there while you’re doing other stuff.

Acting like you use Discord or whatever full screen is just as disingenuous. What else is it supposed to do? It’s using SwiftUI, it has all of the core UX of the platform, and it’s a simple app… if it was some convoluted overdone app that takes over your whole space with crazy 3D panels, it would be annoying AF to use. This is supposed to be an app used in an amazing AR platform, not some faux-futuristic app that blows your mind every time you open it.

Just a bunch of whiners.

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
The kind of serious power user with $3500 who's genuinely excited about "spatial computing" doesn't want a bunch of distracting 3D garbage in their messaging app that's off to the side somewhere.
Actually I do, I love telegram

Infiniti_Z

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2017
Sweden
Who would want to dictate the stuff they send on Telegram? I know the stuff me and my buddies talk about in our group chat is definitely not something I wanna say out loud. The virtual keyboard is gonna suck too probably. It’s just a big mystery who this product is for, especially considering the price point.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Lol. Now, that I think about it, Apple is clever...

They are releasing the Vision Pro around tax refund time. Haha. They're like...just give me your tax refund check.

Reactions: newyorksole

Polinsky

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2023
"if you're stupid enough to buy a $3500 Vision Pro and you got a buddy who also stupid enough to buy one than, you can........."
So, in other words, I and everyone else buying one, are just plain stupid in your eyes. What's really unbelievable is all the bashing of this product when you folks haven't even seen it in the flesh or used it. Now that's really ignorance and it's getting old and beyond obnoxious.

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
So, in other words, I and everyone else buying one, are just plain stupid in your eyes. What's really unbelievable is all the bashing of this product when you folks haven't even seen it in the flesh or used it. Now that's really ignorance and it's getting old and beyond obnoxious.

You can take it that way, but the statement is clearly rhetorical. He’s not literally calling you stupid.

And again: there’s a significant difference between thick headed bashing and valid criticism. We know a lot about Vision Pro already and more every day. Saying that it isn’t subject to any criticism unless and until the critic has worn the device is unreasonable. There are many elements of this technology that raise BIG red flags without ever having to hold one in your hand or stick it on your face.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Y’all are so cynical. It’s just a chat app - something they’ve confirmed will be more than just the iOS/iPadOS version in compatibility mode. It will be pinned off somewhere in the shared space and just sit there while you’re doing other stuff.

Acting like you use Discord or whatever full screen is just as disingenuous. What else is it supposed to do? It’s using SwiftUI, it has all of the core UX of the platform, and it’s a simple app… if it was some convoluted overdone app that takes over your whole space with crazy 3D panels, it would be annoying AF to use. This is supposed to be an app used in an amazing AR platform, not some faux-futuristic app that blows your mind every time you open it.

Just a bunch of whiners.
There are actually features that would make sense in AR, like pinning several Telegram channels around you, showing thread structure and/or timeline in some 3D view, having a large sticker picker on the side, and so on. But there is nothing of that kind, it's like they have no imagination what to do in 3D.

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007

I mean, it could be worse?

You could be doppled into an anteater?

What, no MST3K fans here?

Anyone planning on tuning into the livestream Thursday? Or the Turkey Day Marathon?
Wait, what?
You’re saying MST3K is still around and they’re going to have a live stream?!
Details, please.. This is news I can use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.