Tell us a random fact about yourself.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hassel, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thank you.

Three weeks ago today she passed away - it still doesn't seem believable.

2. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Wood, acrylic, bone, whatever inspires me. Yah, I use those kits, but I'm picky. Some of them aren't worth the money. And you can turn a pen on a big lathe as long as you have the right tools! I don't use a lathe, however. My methods are a bit more...daring.

There are woodworking shows going on across the country over the next few weeks. A few folks offer pen turning classes for free or low cost at these events. thewoodworkingshows.com

3. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

So sorry for your loss

4. Zenithal macrumors 603

PETA is going to object to you keeping beavers locked up in your basement.

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

Really sorry to hear this news.
    My condolences.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thank you.

As you can doubtless imagine, it made for an unforgettable Christmas.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2019 ---
    And thank you, too.

Much appreciated @Tiger8 and @Ifti.

7. metalsiren macrumors regular

metalsiren

I am a big anime fan, I prob watch more anime than I do normal TV.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

It all went down hill after D.Grey-man finished!

My random fact is I’m going on my first overseas holiday in a few weeks in years. In fact apart from a few nights away it’s my first holiday in years.

9. CE3, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019

CE3 macrumors 65816

I’ve been getting junk mail from the Church of Scientology since I was 13 (early 90s).

10. Lioness~ macrumors 65816

Lioness~

Haha, me too. They are insane.
    And they never let go. It doesn't help to tell them to. It has the totally opposite effect.
    It comes a mail in my physical mailbox every 3rd month I think. I had some calls coming on my landline to.
    Obviously wasn't so protected as my iPhone. Better today, was quite some yrs ago now since they bothered me on the phone.
    I tried to send their mail back, with note it was wrong address etc, etc.
    Didn't help. So I stopped to get irritated, just putting it in a garbage can on the way back from the mailbox.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Tell them you’ve lost all your money and are destitute. They’ll soon stop calling!

12. CE3 macrumors 65816

You’re right - a year or two ago I finally called the center that sends most of the mailings to me and very politely requested they stop wasting the paper, and it did no good. Thankfully they don’t call me!

13. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

Do their mailings include a SASE? If it does, tear up what they sent you and send it back. Eventually they will get the message, as they have to pay for them. I got Capitol One to eventually stop sending me mail that way. Stuff those envelopes full!

14. Lioness~, Jan 14, 2019

Lioness~ macrumors 65816

Lioness~

Lord no. Not a chance. They just send propaganda, no prepaid envelopes.
    I just put it on the box, return to sender, adress not valid or something.
    It kept coming mails anyway. So I just stopped giving energy to it.

15. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Yep. That’s what I did.

Years ago my little act of defiance to junk mail was to tear up the inserts and stuff it back into the enclosed self addressed prepaid envelope and drop it into the mailbox. It never stopped any junk mail, but it was satisfying.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2019 ---
    A gimmick cheap college kids used to do was to write letters home addressing the envelope to themself with their parent’s address in the return address spot. Then they’d drop it in the mail without a stamp. The post office would deliver the envelope to the parents “returned for postage”. Good grief.

16. Lioness~ macrumors 65816

Lioness~

Get it. But I’m just passed doing anything at all about it.
    Don’t want to give any further energy to them, at all.
    Just happily dropp their spam, other **** or just uninteresting stuff that happens to come in the trash joyfully today.
    I treat it the same way as all the garbage spam emails that fills up the spam box. Just ignoring the idiots.
    They are so many of them. Not worth any attention whatsoever.
    Feels best doing so.

But it feels good sharing the experience here though :)

17. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

With the prominence of paperless billing I don’t receive much substantive mail.

The US Postal Service offers a free Informed Delivery product where I receive an email each morning with photographs of each letter to be delivered that day.

I might go several days without picking up the mail. And when I do most goes right into the shredder.

18. Zenithal macrumors 603

Amateurs. The smart thing back in the day, sometime during the last century, was throwing it into the administrative office's outgoing pile which would get stamped with a USPS seal ensuring first class delivery. Not sure if you can pull that trick nowadays like the one you outlined, but it worked then.

19. Gutwrench, Jan 14, 2019

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I didn’t write anyone. I was too busy sleeping through class, in class, and in practice two x a day. There wasn’t time to write after that either because we’d be raising hell in the bars. Not me, of course. I was the designated lookout. When the bartenders finally got tired of our **** they call our coach...not the cops. If I saw the coach coming I’d yell “LOOKOUT” and we’d run to an opposite door.

20. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

In the UK our mail comes through the door. Much easier.
    But most mail I get is bank statements or bills.
    Don’t get much junk mail. I’m happy with that.

21. Lioness~, Jan 15, 2019 at 8:43 AM
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 10:27 AM

Lioness~ macrumors 65816

Lioness~

Not much mails (spam or real mails) in my inbox (on the entry floor on my condo building) either these days.
    Not checking it daily either if I don't have any errands that makes me pass it, or know that I expect something.

Saying that and discovered that I had forgot to set up sync of mails between my iMac and MBA.
    As long as I only had 1 Mac mail was stored on my Mac obviously, now on iCloud, except the archives that I only store on the iMac.
    I just wondered as a written mail I wrote on the MBA in bed, didn't show up on the iMac.
    Fixed however now.

22. Zenithal macrumors 603

And that is different to mail delivery here how?

23. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    In the US, in many "garden-style" multi-family dwellings, mail is delivered to individual boxes within an outdoor kiosk, and each condo or rental apartment unit has its own box and key to that box. In high-rise condo or rental apartment buildings where there is space off the lobby, for example, mailboxes may be set up in a room there. As for individual homes, while in some older communities people may still get the mail delivered right to the house through a mail slot in the door or a box designated for the mail that is affixed to a spot adjacent to the doorway, many others only get their mail in an external mailbox at the end of a driveway, where the mailman can simply pause his truck, toss the mail in and move right on to the next box. It seems that most newer communities have kiosks such as in my condo development. These days, efficiency in mail delivery is key, and this is especially noticeable in newer developments.

24. Zenithal macrumors 603

Those I know. I also haven't seen mailboxes near the curb here. Though that may be some codified law in the city books and surrounding cities. The closest I've seen to that is a mailbox attached to the house right next to the front door. Or a flip box that delivers mail down a chute next to the door and drops it on the floor on the inside.

Don't really see condos much or those unified kiosks in a central garden. I know of them in other states, but I presumed those were isolated design choices. Most townhouse sets here have individual mailboxes requiring the post person to walk up to each individual door.

The majority of what I've seen is as exactly as he pointed out. Except unlike Gutwrench, I don't use that scanning service. I like mail being a surprise.

25. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

My understanding is that many properties in the US, especially rural ones don’t have all their mail delivered to the door. Certainly not on the TV I see here, where even in suburbia the box with a flag is popular at the end of the drive.
    I think the Royail Mail do an excellent job of delivering to all UK addresses, no matter how remote.