Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
I'm on my last week of return window for my IPP. Today I see this:

10powm0.jpg

You can tell why I am so intrigued by this. Just looking at that FULL KEYBOARD WITH FUNCTION KEYS - can be charged less than 4 hours. 10.5 HR battery life. SUPER AMOLED 12" display. Sure it runs Windows 10 but this is way better option than the surface pro 4. I mean I really like the keyboard case I do not understand why apple decided to make theirs like that without a back cover and the strange origami flip flapping folds to sit it up.

How is this not enough competition - I don't think the IPP can hold it's own. I don't think I can justify the price of everything vs this.

x9i14.jpg
2uityz5.jpg

15zfclv.jpg
2a78sy8.jpg

Reactions: baypharm

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
I know it's Windows 10 but seriously, the specs are just competitive and makes my IPP look bad!

TabPro S specs:

* LTE CAT 6
* 4GB RAM up to 256GB SSD
* Core M 2.2GHz
* USB-C port
* 4K video playback w/support for mkv
* NFC supported
* fingerprint authentication

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
So you are willing to put up with Win10 because you like the specs?

To be honest I've been having a similar dilemma on the Mac front. For the price of a 15 inch rMBP with dGPU you can get a near desk-top class gaming laptop with Windows. It bothers me that Apple doesn't offer decent graphics options... I love OS X and macs for their simplicity and build quality, but the cost-efficiency is a whole new topic :(

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Well, this IPP doesn't have the best OS either. It's still an iPhone OS and I do have to work around a lot of apps just to get the same thing done like in a full OS.

Even though I am tempted, I am hoping I can see a real unit in the store today then decide. You guys can't deny how much better these devices are getting and I just am really fed up with my keyboard issues at the moment with my IPP. Tab switching apps often scroll automatically for no reason, I get disconnected issues - alt-tab doesn't work sometimes, and these bugs are just annoying as hell. Even my pencil drains battery fast even when set down and not moving but still connected.

I just really want that keyboard from Samsung however. There's no excuse for no function row keys either. The Samsung can hold full row of keys with normal keys and normal key press pitch height yet it's thinner than the entire case/cover is thinner than the APK. I don't know the price of the Samsung keyboard but paying for a gimped APK at $169+tax is not tempting.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Well, this IPP doesn't have the best OS either. It's still an iPhone OS and I do have to work around a lot of apps just to get the same thing done like in a full OS.

Even though I am tempted, I am hoping I can see a real unit in the store today then decide. You guys can't deny how much better these devices are getting and I just am really fed up with my keyboard issues at the moment with my IPP. Tab switching apps often scroll automatically for no reason, I get disconnected issues - alt-tab doesn't work sometimes, and these bugs are just annoying as hell. Even my pencil drains battery fast even when set down and not moving but still connected.

I just really want that keyboard from Samsung however. There's no excuse for no function row keys either. The Samsung can hold full row of keys with normal keys and normal key press pitch height yet it's thinner than the entire case/cover is thinner than the APK. I don't know the price but paying for a gimped APK at $169+tax is not tempting.

Which keyboard are you using, I haven't had ANY issues with the Smart Keyboard. And the design of the Samsung Keyboard is exactly like the old Surface Keyboard. It sucks. Why do you think they changed it for the typecover for the Surface Pro 4?

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Which keyboard are you using, I haven't had ANY issues with the Smart Keyboard. And the design of the Samsung Keyboard is exactly like the old Surface Keyboard. It sucks. Why do you think they changed it for the typecover for the Surface Pro 4?

I wanted to buy the APK but I don't think I can justify the $169+tax because I would need a back cover as well. I am using a Bluetooth keyboard at the moment. Is the APK worth the high dollar value? I am using the apple wireless keyboard. I have 3 of them and all three have same issues. It's so frustrating at times I have to turn off Bluetooth and reconnect just to make things normal again...but then shortly it goes haywire. I know this is a software issue.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I don't really see the iPad Pro as being in direct competition with this or the Surface Pro. The latter run a desktop OS and the iPad runs a mobile OS. I'm not saying that one is better than the other. It's entirely a matter of what the user wants. To me it's like comparing a sedan to a motorcycle. If you buy a sedan expecting it to somehow give you the experience of a motorcycle you're going to be disappointed, and vice versa.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Quick question, what is so appealing about function keys on a tablet? I appreciate them for a desktop OS but not sure how useful they would be in iOS.

Nothing - except that if I pay $169+tax for an APK, it doesn't even have any of the keys. I need to change brightness, sound, pause/play, do all those things quickly with one button press.
[doublepost=1458241493][/doublepost]
I don't really see the iPad Pro as being in direct competition with this or the Surface Pro. The latter run a desktop OS and the iPad runs a mobile OS. I'm not saying that one is better than the other. It's entirely a matter of what the user wants. To me it's like comparing a sedan to a motorcycle. If you buy a sedan expecting it to somehow give you the experience of a motorcycle you're going to be disappointed, and vice versa.

Well if Apple doesn't do anything different with the IPP I may just give up. I already don't think it's appropriate to waste entire 13" display using a smartphone UI design. Not only that but to get things done with files I have to use a few apps to get around but I love the sandbox security so maybe it's not a wise decision to jump ship over to Windows 10 anyway. Just the design of these new Samsung devices are very nice and I look over at my gigantic iPhone with a 13" display and go wtf did I just spend on. You know the feeling when you still have opportunity to return within the refund time window and you are just unsure :(
[doublepost=1458241768][/doublepost]I'm headed to bestbuy/Microsoft store to check this out! Let's hope this thing sucks for my own sake.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Nothing - except that if I pay $169+tax for an APK, it doesn't even have any of the keys. I need to change brightness, sound, pause/play, do all those things quickly with one button press.
[doublepost=1458241493][/doublepost]

You do not find the swipe to bring up the control panel sufficiently convenient? I sometimes find it annoying but not so much so that I want a dedicated key for it.

Andy847

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2016
Chicago Suburb
I've had the Surface Pro 3 + 4, both i3 and i5 processors, and returned both. Even though you can run full programs on them, they would heat up within minutes, depending on the program. The sp 4 stylus is nice, but hated windows. I came to the conclusion I just need a tablet.

I had an ipad pro a couple of months ago and reformed because of no floating browser, which android has. I loved the IPP, but needed the browser for drawing with a certain apo. I was going to wait to see if Samsung was coming out with a new Note tablet. When I found out about the tabpro S, I checked to see what tablets were coming out this year from them. No new note tablets this year, so I went back seems bought threw IPP again. I love this tablet for drawing. I have an original now 10.1 as backup, but glad I stuck with the iPP.

For me a tablet is all I need. Have my mac for everything else. Also, you only have the M processor as an option on the Tabpro S.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I wanted to buy the APK but I don't think I can justify the $169+tax because I would need a back cover as well. I am using a Bluetooth keyboard at the moment. Is the APK worth the high dollar value? I am using the apple wireless keyboard. I have 3 of them and all three have same issues. It's so frustrating at times I have to turn off Bluetooth and reconnect just to make things normal again...but then shortly it goes haywire. I know this is a software issue.

Honestly, I have no complaints, especially after coming from the Logitech Create. The keys work great, got used to the short throw quite quickly. And let's be honest, you almost feel like a ninja folding and unfolding the keyboard.. =)

Reactions: yaxomoxay

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
It's a decent system to be fair and if you don't mind it being Windows then it wouldn't do you wrong I guess. It's all down to personal preference when it comes to these things.

Having used Windows 8 and 10 on tablets I cant help but hate it, I find that for many things I have to drop down into the desktop, which just isn't finger friendly or tablet optimised at all. Fine when you have a keyboard and mouse with you, but that just defeats the point of a tablet a lot of the time, you might as well just buy a laptop.

But it's that preference thing, both iOS and Windows have their pros and cons, neither is perfect... Yet ;) No-one could tell you which way to go, it depends on your use of the thing, your preference for operating system and available software to meet your needs and perhaps the eco-system you are entrenched in. So you've got to go with your gut.

(As a side note and I know for a lot of people it's not a concern or consideration, but there's also the resale value aspect. Within weeks of buying any Windows, or Android tablet for that matter, the resale value plummets faster than a Guillemot carrying a brick. That's not something that happens with Apple hardware. like I say not an issue for those of us who keep, or donate, out old hardware but it's something to consider for many folks.)

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
It's a decent system to be fair and if you don't mind it being Windows then it wouldn't do you wrong I guess. It's all down to personal preference when it comes to these things.

Having used Windows 8 and 10 on tablets I cant help but hate it, I find that for many things I have to drop down into the desktop, which just isn't finger friendly or tablet optimised at all. Fine when you have a keyboard and mouse with you, but that just defeats the point of a tablet a lot of the time, you might as well just buy a laptop.

But it's that preference thing, both iOS and Windows have their pros and cons, neither is perfect... Yet ;) No-one could tell you which way to go, it depends on your use of the thing, your preference for operating system and available software to meet your needs and perhaps the eco-system you are entrenched in. So you've got to go with your gut.

(As a side note and I know for a lot of people it's not a concern or consideration, but there's also the resale value aspect. Within weeks of buying any Windows, or Android tablet for that matter, the resale value plummets faster than a Guillemot carrying a brick. That's not something that happens with Apple hardware. like I say not an issue for those of us who keep, or donate, out old hardware but it's something to consider for many folks.)

You do realize it's a Core M machine right, so the performance will be pretty meh.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
You do realize it's a Core M machine right, so the performance will be pretty meh.

Well, yeah that's true. I wasn't really mentioning the performance differences, just waffling on about the importance of being able to gel with the operating system and of course the consideration of the purchase history with any particular AppStore.

But some people don't necessarily bother about cutting edge performance either, it's all about the experience for some folk.
Personally I'd avoid it like the plague, but then I'm an Apple boy these days (well, for over 15 years) Working with, repairing, owning and programming for Windows systems for a lot of years put me off them completely :D

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
All Samsung did was make their own version of the Core M Surface Pro 4. If Surface Pro didn't win you over, I doubt this will. Keyboard is certainly important, but I can't see myself switching eco systems and OSs over a keyboard, especially when the iPad Pro has third-party options.

Reactions: Night Spring
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.