Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tesla today launched a new battery-powered Qi-based wireless charger that's designed for iPhones and Android devices that support wireless charging.

Priced at $65, the Tesla Wireless Charger features a 6,000mAh battery so it can be used for charging while on the go. According to Tesla, it's been constructed using the "same design language" used in Tesla energy products like Powerwall, featuring a sleek black or white enclosure.

teslacharger1-800x692.jpg

In addition to wireless charging, the Tesla Wireless Charger includes a built-in USB-C cable for charging USB-C Android devices. For non-USB-C devices, there's a USB-A port that can be used for faster wired charging. A built-in USB-A cable is used to charge the Wireless Charger from any USB-A port.

teslacharger2-800x499.jpg

According to Tesla, the wireless charging is limited to 5W, which is slower than the faster 7.5W charging that is available on the iPhone X, 8, and 8 Plus. Other 5W chargers can be purchased on Amazon for as little as $10, which means Tesla is charging quite a premium for the Tesla branding and design of this accessory.

teslacharger3-800x747.jpg

The Tesla Wireless Charger can be purchased from the Tesla website for $65.

Update: It appears Tesla may have removed the Wireless Charger from its website as the store links to the device no longer work nor does a search on the site bring it up.

Article Link: Tesla Debuts $65 5W Battery-Powered Qi Wireless Charger [Updated]

Architect4122

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Tesla Wireless Charger features a 6,000mAh battery so it can be used for charging while on the go.
... why compare it to a $10 charger when this is also a battery? [I think this has also confused a few readers]

... but Tesla branding for Qi + Battery? I guess $65 seems in line.
[doublepost=1535503314][/doublepost]
Well, I personally don't trust random $10 chargers from Amazon and other Apple-certified chargers come much closer in price - and they don't have a battery built in...

My thought exactly ... if anything - all things considered - $65 seems pretty reasonable

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Hey guys,

Not sure why, but the link to the Wireless Charger isn't working. It was up and functional when I wrote the post, but it looks like Tesla may have pulled the accessory for some reason. I can't search for it on the site either, so not sure what's going on with it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Other 5W chargers can be purchased on Amazon for as little as $10, which means Tesla is charging quite a premium for the Tesla branding and design of this accessory.
Are they though? It has a 6000mAh battery. Mophie charges $60 for their 10000mAh version. It’s a premium device, but I wouldn’t say it’s a significant premium. There are various off brand versions for cheaper, but with all the garbage sold on Amazon I’d not want to risk buying any charger that isn’t well known. Sucks that it’s not 7.5W or better, especially since the new iPhone will likely support 10W.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

Tesla today launched a new battery-powered Qi-based wireless charger that's designed for iPhones and Android devices that support wireless charging.

Priced at $65, the Tesla Wireless Charger features a 6,000mAh battery so it can be used for charging while on the go. According to Tesla, it's been constructed using the "same design language" used in Tesla energy products like Powerwall, featuring a sleek black or white enclosure.

teslacharger1-800x692.jpg

In addition to wireless charging, the Tesla Wireless Charger includes a built-in USB-C cable for charging USB-C Android devices. For non-USB-C devices, there's a USB-A port that can be used for faster wired charging. A built-in USB-A cable is used to charge the Wireless Charger from any USB-A port.

teslacharger2-800x499.jpg

According to Tesla, the wireless charging is limited to 5W, which is slower than the faster 7.5W charging that is available on the iPhone X, 8, and 8 Plus. Other 5W chargers can be purchased on Amazon for as little as $10, which means Tesla is charging quite a premium for the Tesla branding and design of this accessory.

teslacharger3-800x747.jpg

The Tesla Wireless Charger can be purchased from the Tesla website for $65.

Update: It appears Tesla may have removed the Wireless Charger from its website as the store links to the device no longer work nor does a search on the site bring it up.

Article Link: Tesla Debuts $65 5W Battery-Powered Qi Wireless Charger [Updated]
[doublepost=1535505340][/doublepost]
Who the hell will pay $65 for a 5w charger?

Well it would be the only Tesla I could afford.;). Maybe it can drive itself to me?

Ion-X

Cancelled
Oct 23, 2017
I love Tesla and would consider buying this... if it were 7.5W. For now I will stick with my much faster Anker chargers, which offer PowerIQ over USB-A and Power Delivery over USB-C.

Reactions: Geurt

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Are they though? It has a 6000mAh battery. Mophie charges $60 for their 10000mAh version. It’s a premium device, but I wouldn’t say it’s a significant premium. There are various off brand versions for cheaper, but with all the garbage sold on Amazon I’d not want to risk buying any charger that isn’t well known. Sucks that it’s not 7.5W or better, especially since the new iPhone will likely support 10W.

Not compared to Mophie, no, but Mophie's prices are also always kind of high. Ravpower's 10,000mAh wireless charger is $35, for example. https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Wireless-RAVPower-10000mAh-Qi-Enabled/dp/B07CC3X6F4

There are even cheaper options on Amazon, but yeah, I agree I wouldn't go with an untrusted brand. I've personally used the Ravpower charger and know it's decent, though.

In general, I think the wireless power banks are not the greatest idea. Inefficient and slow compared to wired charging. Typically you're using a power bank when your iPhone is low and you need juice fast/in an emergency, and wireless charging is not super useful for that.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014

I purchased a 20,000mAh battery from a reputable company for about $40 a few weeks ago. Charges faster than 5W too.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
Dear Elon,

Focus.

Agreed! But... things like this could be a natural result of other R&D they're working on and could potentially be just a POC for things they'll build into a future vehicle. Under those conditions it might actually be smart to sell them on the side and generate a bit of extra cash flow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.