Tesla Debuts $65 5W Battery-Powered Qi Wireless Charger [Updated]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 28, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Tesla today launched a new battery-powered Qi-based wireless charger that's designed for iPhones and Android devices that support wireless charging.

Priced at $65, the Tesla Wireless Charger features a 6,000mAh battery so it can be used for charging while on the go. According to Tesla, it's been constructed using the "same design language" used in Tesla energy products like Powerwall, featuring a sleek black or white enclosure.

[​IMG]

In addition to wireless charging, the Tesla Wireless Charger includes a built-in USB-C cable for charging USB-C Android devices. For non-USB-C devices, there's a USB-A port that can be used for faster wired charging. A built-in USB-A cable is used to charge the Wireless Charger from any USB-A port.

[​IMG]

According to Tesla, the wireless charging is limited to 5W, which is slower than the faster 7.5W charging that is available on the iPhone X, 8, and 8 Plus. Other 5W chargers can be purchased on Amazon for as little as $10, which means Tesla is charging quite a premium for the Tesla branding and design of this accessory.

[​IMG]

The Tesla Wireless Charger can be purchased from the Tesla website for $65.

Update: It appears Tesla may have removed the Wireless Charger from its website as the store links to the device no longer work nor does a search on the site bring it up.

Article Link: Tesla Debuts $65 5W Battery-Powered Qi Wireless Charger [Updated]

2. CerebralX macrumors 6502

CerebralX

Looking for a place of freedom and rationality
    This thing might just sell out quicker than the NoFlameThrower haha

3. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

4. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

Doesn't make sense. World's biggest battery company and all they can come up with is a 5W rated battery charger.

5. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

6. KeepAustinAJ macrumors newbie

I can't find it in the store...preemptive post?

7. serialiphoneuser macrumors regular

8. Ankaa macrumors 6502a

Well, I personally don't trust random $10 chargers from Amazon and other Apple-certified chargers come much closer in price - and they don't have a battery built in...

9. Junior117, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018

Junior117 macrumors 6502

The design looks nice, to say the least. Not too sure why they went with 5W instead of 7.5W, though.

10. Architect4122 macrumors regular

... why compare it to a $10 charger when this is also a battery? [I think this has also confused a few readers]

... but Tesla branding for Qi + Battery? I guess $65 seems in line.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 28, 2018 ---
    My thought exactly ... if anything - all things considered - $65 seems pretty reasonable

11. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

12. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Hey guys,

Not sure why, but the link to the Wireless Charger isn't working. It was up and functional when I wrote the post, but it looks like Tesla may have pulled the accessory for some reason. I can't search for it on the site either, so not sure what's going on with it.

13. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Are they though? It has a 6000mAh battery. Mophie charges $60 for their 10000mAh version. It’s a premium device, but I wouldn’t say it’s a significant premium. There are various off brand versions for cheaper, but with all the garbage sold on Amazon I’d not want to risk buying any charger that isn’t well known. Sucks that it’s not 7.5W or better, especially since the new iPhone will likely support 10W.

14. zakarhino macrumors demi-god

zakarhino

$65 hahaha, guess they need that Tesla tax to fund their Model 3s.

15. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

Why wouldn’t you just use a cable?
    Surely there is some kind of loss charging wirelessly so why wouldn’t you want to maximise the batteries power?

16. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

--- Post Merged, Aug 28, 2018 ---
    Well it would be the only Tesla I could afford.;). Maybe it can drive itself to me?

17. Ion-X macrumors member

Ion-X

I love Tesla and would consider buying this... if it were 7.5W. For now I will stick with my much faster Anker chargers, which offer PowerIQ over USB-A and Power Delivery over USB-C.

18. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Not compared to Mophie, no, but Mophie's prices are also always kind of high. Ravpower's 10,000mAh wireless charger is $35, for example. https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Wireless-RAVPower-10000mAh-Qi-Enabled/dp/B07CC3X6F4

There are even cheaper options on Amazon, but yeah, I agree I wouldn't go with an untrusted brand. I've personally used the Ravpower charger and know it's decent, though.

In general, I think the wireless power banks are not the greatest idea. Inefficient and slow compared to wired charging. Typically you're using a power bank when your iPhone is low and you need juice fast/in an emergency, and wireless charging is not super useful for that.

19. zakarhino macrumors demi-god

zakarhino

I purchased a 20,000mAh battery from a reputable company for about $40 a few weeks ago. Charges faster than 5W too.

20. rjp1 macrumors regular

21. LessO2 macrumors regular

A) Tesla fans
    B) People who like battery fires
    C) A & B

22. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Who wants that from Tesla?
    They can't even keep the bumper to stay on a car in the rain...

23. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

Agreed! But... things like this could be a natural result of other R&D they're working on and could potentially be just a POC for things they'll build into a future vehicle. Under those conditions it might actually be smart to sell them on the side and generate a bit of extra cash flow.

24. mistasopz macrumors 6502

Apple users.

25. Hieveryone macrumors 68040