Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Honestly who cares. If you are willing to pay $1,000 or more for a phone and you break the screen then you pay Apple to replace it with genuine parts, or use AppleCare to reduce the cost. Stop whinging that backyard bob does not allow screen replacements at lower cost. In addition this voids the warranty as well if not done by Apple, so there is no real benefit, financially or otherwise to bypass Apple.

Yes Apple charge more however their work is guaranteed and covered, unlike backyard bobs repairs. Why the hell would you want to go "el cheapo" to replace a screen externally to the manufacturer plus parts shipping plus your own time to repair it (further financial loss). Lay off the red cordial. I've never had to replace a screen on my iPhone ever in my life, that's what cases and glass screen protectors are for.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
On this topic Apple is playing against its customers … that is clear. This is a very dangerous game to play … will see.
This is not quality. In the same tone iOS 15 is buggiest zero day launch I’ve experienced in a decade.

Its strategy is clear … do what they can to lead users to replace their broken device for a new or refurbished one. Financially much more expensive and wasteful than it could actually be … not good for anyone, including the environment.

Last edited:

macar00n

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2021
I love how many people want some random shady service center with unqualified people to be able to install the cheapest garbage Chinese parts attainable into their $1,000+ phone thinking that it’s exactly the same as Apple doing it but at a cost savings. BUT MUH RIGHTS

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
I love how many people want some random shady service center with unqualified people to be able to install the cheapest garbage

Interesting that common practice is shady and insecure when it comes to Apple. But everything else you use in your life … no problem with the common practice. Its about choice users choice … fixing your car, your PC, your house, your console, your whatever. You can take your Mercedez to a certified shop or not. Heck people even go and look for parts on the web … go figure. Crazy people right? Or is someone actively creating a reality distortion field around you?

Cost savings? For whom? Apple has proven over and over again that whatever cost savings are converted to profit, Pilates and lobby for Grammies. Meanwhile iOS gets IMHO the buggiest zero day launch ever.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple just needs to stop this. People will get a repair directly from their stores or a third party repair shop. They're still using the product.

Their batteries are too expensive in my opinion it should be £20 max.
Labour is a thing.

And in my case, Apple offered me a refurbished 8+ when the battery swap attempt for the original 8+ failed, which also netted me a year of TV+ for free (and effectively paying for the repair, and then some when Apple went on to extend the free trial during the pandemic).

Definitely an outlier, but it's also why I would get this sort of thing done at Apple, where I know at least that the buck stops with them no matter what happens.

Reactions: amartinez1660

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple again has no ground over this whatsoever. I don’t buy the security bs. If they really care about customer data safety (which they don’t cause why bother), just like someone suggests, tie screen replacement into erasing data, so that legit owner can restore their device from backup and go on with their lives while thieves can’t get any data off of it.

At least, they stop charging exorbitant price for repairing anything on their goddamn phone. Those “Genius Bar” technicians ain’t gonna be much more capable than a competent third party repair shop technicians anyways. All they have is access to some internal tools external technician don’t have.

Same Touch ID bs happened in iPhone 7 or 6s era and apple did issue an update to fix that bug a while ago under media pressure. Dunno if they will begrudgingly issue a fix this time.

hbt15

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
Yeah, OEM ones don’t. Third party ones could very well have one, unbeknown to the consumer. Much like these new malicious USB cables.
Those cables are well north of $100...it would be even more for an inscreen malicious chip. No one gives a damn about your phone enough to blow that kind of cash just because they might get a banking password or your snapchat. No one.

somnolentsurfer

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
I'm at work so I've not been able to watch the video. If the screen has no chip in it, how does the phone tell the difference between two genuine parts?

Reactions: PC_tech

BGM

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
Amsterdam
So much of my life is on the phone I'm personally glad that Apple errs on the side of security even if it's more restrictive. It's the same attitude as when dealing with a bank for example, or a physical safe. I wouldn't want third parties tampering with it.

I get that that's not everyone's need. But I do believe that with the phone knowing so much about us and having so much of our details that it would be treated as a secure device first, and a tech device second.

Whenever I read articles like this it makes me more inclined to buy Apple. Just sharing my perspective.

this is an interesting perspective, i do kinda see it... but i also think it's a bit simplistic, and I may even go so far as saying naive.

using the analogy of cars that is running through this thread, you're essentially saying that unless your car is always repaired by the manufacturer (let's take a windscreen chip as a solid equivalent) then you car is not as safe. Both in terms of physically blowing up, and/or people gaining access to things you keep in your car. Clearly this isn't true.

as a consumer, it is right that they are given the opportunity to make the choice, and not have that choice forced upon them - this is consumer protection 101, and government bodies (i.e. right to repair legislation) should definitely step in here.

RTR will not remove the consumer choice to go to the manufacturer, but it will add the choice that if I had a 5 year old iPhone and I want to replace the screen myself then I can, and probably would make that choice. Rather than much more likely choice of it not being economically viable to repair at the original manufacturer.

this sort of thing is exceedingly frustrating for people that actually understand the technology, and don't simply consume it.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Even during warranty it should be allowed but at most, void your warranty. Its understandable that Apple don't want you trying to get a replacement during warranty when a potential substandard repair has been carried out. But if you choose to accept that and go ahead anyway there is no reason to stop a feature working.
Agreed and unreasonable to be against that.
What about stolen phones ripped in parts though? This “original display to original display” parts swap would actually continue to help on that front.

Not saying that it doesn’t happen, maybe even at some low key Apple’s retail store where there might be/have-been a rogue employee doing some misdeeds… but I think it would be better to cover all corners before opening the gates.

RS52

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2019
Seen this all the time even before the iPhone 13 in Apple Stores where a customers brings to me an iPhone with FaceID not working because they took it to a 3rd party. The only place you can get a genuine Apple display is from Apple, and if you put on a used Genuine Apple display on another device a 3rd party can’t calibrate it and it won’t work. Good news is that unless the phone is damaged by the 3rd party you can still have the display replaced by Apple at cost and of course you can’t use your Apple Care to do this. Many times customers want to use their Apple Care to fix 3rd party damage that Apple isn’t liable for. Word of advice, if you have an iPhone get Apple Care + and always make Apple your first stop in repairs, it will be cheaper in the long run.

BGM

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
Amsterdam
Honestly who cares. If you are willing to pay $1,000 or more for a phone and you break the screen then you pay Apple to replace it with genuine parts, or use AppleCare to reduce the cost. Stop whinging that backyard bob does not allow screen replacements at lower cost. In addition this voids the warranty as well if not done by Apple, so there is no real benefit, financially or otherwise to bypass Apple.

Yes Apple charge more however their work is guaranteed and covered, unlike backyard bobs repairs. Why the hell would you want to go "el cheapo" to replace a screen externally to the manufacturer plus parts shipping plus your own time to repair it (further financial loss). Lay off the red cordial. I've never had to replace a screen on my iPhone ever in my life, that's what cases and glass screen protectors are for.

as i have said in previous comments, this is all about choice. don't remove the choice from people under the guise of protecting them, or doing them a favour.

there are many reasons to go to 'backyard bob', your device might be out of warranty, your device might not be economically viable for repair at apple, your device (as i have previously experienced) may be refused repair by apple, or even totally misdiagnosed (i have also experienced this) and the only option is to use 'backyard bob' ..

personally i have an extremely competent 3rd party repair guy that i use, that totally dumps on the apple experience - he has even repaired (by desoldering and moving parts to other donor parts) Face ID for me.. Apple's stance on this is that you need to buy a new device, which is exceptionally wasteful.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
This is ridiculous, and illustrative of why we need right to repair laws! Can you imagine if I took my car to a non-authorized service center to get the headlights replaced, but once the new ones were installed the car would refuse to let them work at all?

BGM

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
Amsterdam
I love how many people want some random shady service center with unqualified people to be able to install the cheapest garbage Chinese parts attainable into their $1,000+ phone thinking that it’s exactly the same as Apple doing it but at a cost savings. BUT MUH RIGHTS

some people want cheapest service possible.
some people want the convenience of going to the mall.
some people want to support small businesses.
some people want repairs to be economically viable.

whatever your reason, and i don't deny that a LOT fall in to the cheapest possible, choice is the key. an informed consumer, that is correctly protected through legislation, and given options, is a great outcome.

devices are no longer getting replaced every year.. personally i use an iPhone 7, Xs, and Xr .. i don't need a newer phone, they are fine for various reasons.

the iPhone 7 is now 5 years old, and if it has a defect, or if i smash the screen [prior to it stopping receiving iOS updates] i want the choice of a repair that's going to cost less than what the device is worth.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I want to give Apple the benefit of the doubt on this one. Maybe there’s a fear that if an unauthorized party swapped the display, they could’ve somehow tampered with the Face ID module before hand, which would hamper security.

Yep.

It was the same for replacing the home button — it could be an attempt to tamper with Touch ID.

Reactions: bsamcash

BGM

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
Amsterdam
You have the right to repair by any jack-leg mechanic you wish.
If he is not capable, that's your fault.

it's the fault of the consumer if the item being repaired is deliberately built to not be able to be repaired, and instead treated as disposable?

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I understand Apple not wanting people to use low quality replacement displays. Thats exactly why they need to let consumers purchase OEM replacement parts at a decent price direct from Apple or allow a place like iFixit to sell OEM parts to the consumer. They could also just undercut all the repair places and charge a lower price for screen replacement at an Apple Store. None of that will happen though, not until right to repair starts to become law.

• Love
Reactions: Shirasaki and BGM

BGM

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
Amsterdam
I understand Apple not wanting people to use low quality replacement displays. Thats exactly why they need to let consumers purchase OEM replacement parts at a decent price direct from Apple or allow a place like iFixit to sell OEM parts to the consumer. They could also just undercut all the repair places and charge a lower price for screen replacement at an Apple Store. None of that will happen though, not until right to repair starts to become law.

being able to self purchase OEM parts is where this needs to start, 100%.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I've mentioned this before in the past in here when similar threads have been made and in my opinion it has something to do with the second hand market. Apple have a brand name to protect and they want to make sure that people purchasing their products whether it be brand new or secondhand, are getting the best quality available. We all know that many iphone owners will get their iphones fixed at an independant repair shop using the cheapest parts possible. These iphones are then sold on through the secondhand market which has the potential to influence peoples opinion on the company based on the quality of the iphone.

We've all been there, looked at a secondhand iphone, thinking the screen looks a bit dull and not sharp (icons do not look crisp and clear), touch response is not as smooth as it should be, the battery do not appear to hold it's charge as long as it should do and then we say to ourselves, 'this is a rubbish iphone, what the hell is Apple doing'. we never stop to think what has the owner done to the phone to have it behave that way, for some reason we automatically blame Apple for the poor quality of that phone, not realising that it is actually the owners doing in having cheap quality parts fitted when it needed repairing. The seller is not going to tell the buyer what they have done to the phone because they know if they do it could drive the price down so instead, they keep quiet and give the impression that it is a genuine iphone.

This is the kind of thing that i think Apple are trying to prevent because they know it is part of human nature to be dishonest and deceitful and thus Apple get the blame for something that it the fault of the iphones original owner. If we are prepared to fix our phones with cheap quality parts, why should Apple take the flak for poor quality phones when their owners are not prepared to tell the truth about what they did to the iphone.

I see nothing wrong in Apple wanting to protect their brand name in the second hand market.

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
Most car manufacturers do require OEM parts to be used during warranty period or the warranty can be invalidated. Same with servicing at an authorized dealer. Ok not tyres but just about everything else.

I’m not saying that’s OK but it is absolutely true - even in “we love our consumer protection laws” Europe.
That’s not true

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.