Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Tested Battery after JBing

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
So I tested my battery for the past 5 days and here are the results:

I charged my battery to 100% each night before bed. The first two nights the phone was NOT JB. After 8 hour so standby time and 3 min of usage I had 99% battery life when I woke up. Both nights didn't pass 3 in of usage.

After JB on Tuesday and installing the following apps (bitesms, sbsettngs, my3g and shrink) I know wake up with 93% battery with 40 min of usage and 8 hours of standby. I turned everything off just like how it was before I JBing. The phone was set up the same exact way each night.

I guess my questions is where is the difference coming from between the 3min of usage to 40 min of usage over night while I'm sleeping. I was fine with 3 min even though I didn't touch the phone once I unplugged it from the charger, but 40 min is pretty steep IMO.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I was noticing that as well on my iPhone 4. The usage was several hours when I would only use it to check a few things and read a few email messages.

I've restored my 4 as a new phone and after 3.5 hours, the battery is still at 100% after jailbreaking. I haven't added any of my purchased Cydia apps in yet but I'm about ready to now that I know the problem isn't the jailbreak itself.

I had iBlacklist and MyWi and My3G installed so it was likely one of those for me.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
I was noticing that as well on my iPhone 4. The usage was several hours when I would only use it to check a few things and read a few email messages.

I've restored my 4 as a new phone and after 3.5 hours, the battery is still at 100% after jailbreaking. I haven't added any of my purchased Cydia apps in yet but I'm about ready to now that I know the problem isn't the jailbreak itself.

I had iBlacklist and MyWi and My3G installed so it was likely one of those for me.
So ar eyou saying that JBing isnt what's making the usage increase, but it's one of the apps we downloaded? I would agree with that.. The only app that we both had was My3G so I would assume there's something running in the background even when everything is unchecked?

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
So ar eyou saying that JBing isnt what's making the usage increase, but it's one of the apps we downloaded? I would agree with that.. The only app that we both had was My3G so I would assume there's something running in the background even when everything is unchecked?

It's definitely one of the apps. Screen cap is with only the jailbreak and nothing else installed.

Attachments

• photo-1.PNG
    photo-1.PNG
    105.5 KB · Views: 76

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
I just uninstalled My3G. I will test it now. How do you get that screen shot on the computer?

ZenoVT

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2009
to perform a print screen on your phone just press the home button + lock button at the same time then let go.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I just uninstalled My3G. I will test it now. How do you get that screen shot on the computer?

Image Capture on a Mac or the Camera Wizard thing on a PC (forget what it’s actually called, but it comes up when you hook up the iPhone via USB).

My JB of the iPhone 4 has had no affect on battery life whatsoever.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008

Take a screenshot with your phone (Home button + power button, short press on both at the same time) and then email it to yourself lol? You can also get the photobucket app and upload straight to photobucket.

Also look into SbSettings.. Usually with that OpenSSH gets install and it gets enabled by the default.. You might not see a switch in sbsettings, even tho its enabled under the Switches settings for it until you go into cydia and actually download the switch..

Give that a try im quite curious about this, im gonna keep an eye out on this thread.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Also look into SbSettings.. Usually with that OpenSSH gets install and it gets enabled by the default.. You might not see a switch in sbsettings said:
Sorry, I'm not following this. I don't see anything for sbsettings?

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Also look into SbSettings.. Usually with that OpenSSH gets install and it gets enabled by the default.. You might not see a switch in sbsettings said:
Sorry, I'm not following this. I don't see anything for sbsettings?

When you swipe across so the Sbsettings APP drops down.. Do you see a switch for OpenSSH?

If not go into cydia and download the switch.. Im guessing your SSH is running and thats what might be draining battery. Once you get the switch for it you can turn it off/on like any other function

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
When you swipe across so the Sbsettings APP drops down.. Do you see a switch for OpenSSH?

If not go into cydia and download the switch.. Im guessing your SSH is running and thats what might be draining battery. Once you get the switch for it you can turn it off/on like any other function

I don't see that option currently when I swipe across. I went into cydia and searched for sbsettings switch and came up with nothing. Do you know the exact file name? Is this how your Iphone is set up? Thanks for your help!

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
I don't see that option currently when I swipe across. I went into cydia and searched for sbsettings switch and came up with nothing. Do you know the exact file name? Is this how your Iphone is set up? Thanks for your help!

Under the list of installed package in cydia do you see OpenSSH? Also go into the Sbsettings settings themselves.. and look under Toggle Switched.. is the OpenSSH toggle enabled? Im talking about the spot where you can add toggles and what not..

Search for SSH or OpenSSH in cydia.. you should get the toggle switch for SbSettings download to show up..

I dont have a iphone currently anymore so i cant tell you exactly.. But yah i had the same thing and then i realized it was constantly on until i turned it off

BigKyle

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2009

Swipe to open SB settings
In the blottom lest click on "More"
Click on "Set Toggles"
Scroll to Bottem and look at "SSH"
Turn it off

Or you can jsut just download the "toggle option" from cydia

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Thanks guys. Just turned it off. So what did this exactly do? SSH is for? Will I ever need to turn it back on?

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I have the 4g jB and use SBSettings, My3g, Mywi, Lockinfo and uwatch. Fully charge at 100% when going to bed and woke up with 100%.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
I have the 4g jB and use SBSettings, My3g, Mywi, Lockinfo and uwatch. Fully charge at 100% when going to bed and woke up with 100%.

So you are not charging overnight at all and wake up with 100%? So is your phone dead? or not using ANY charge whatsoever? I mean keeping the phone in standby for 8-10hours overnight will drain your battery atleast 3-5%.

SO OMG OMG please share your secret sauce? cuz its magical to me!!

Later
AE

ichiban06

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
So you are not charging overnight at all and wake up with 100%? So is your phone dead? or not using ANY charge whatsoever? I mean keeping the phone in standby for 8-10hours overnight will drain your battery atleast 3-5%.

Later
AE

my Iphone 4(Pre Jailbroken) would still be at 100% after 9 hrs on standby.

Attachments

• photo-1.PNG
    photo-1.PNG
    122 KB · Views: 54

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Click on "Set Toggles"
Turn it off

Doesnt that just set the toggles to APPEAR as in show up on the thing? I dont think this actually turns SSH off..

I think he still needs the Toggle itself that disables it.

Thanks guys. Just turned it off. So what did this exactly do? SSH is for? Will I ever need to turn it back on?

It allows you to get into your phone and do some customizing/editing..

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Click on "Set Toggles"
Turn it off

Doesnt that just set the toggles to APPEAR as in show up on the thing? I dont think this actually turns SSH off..

I think he still needs the Toggle itself that disables it.

It allows you to get into your phone and do some customizing/editing..

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007

Later
AE

Nope I am not charging overnight. Infact one of the first things I looked at was the percentage drain and very suprised staying at 100%. I could not tell you why. I was expecting it to drop.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So I tested my battery for the past 5 days and here are the results:

I charged my battery to 100% each night before bed. The first two nights the phone was NOT JB. After 8 hour so standby time and 3 min of usage I had 99% battery life when I woke up. Both nights didn't pass 3 in of usage.

After JB on Tuesday and installing the following apps (bitesms, sbsettngs, my3g and shrink) I know wake up with 93% battery with 40 min of usage and 8 hours of standby. I turned everything off just like how it was before I JBing. The phone was set up the same exact way each night.

I guess my questions is where is the difference coming from between the 3min of usage to 40 min of usage over night while I'm sleeping. I was fine with 3 min even though I didn't touch the phone once I unplugged it from the charger, but 40 min is pretty steep IMO.

I was having this issues before jailbreaking, my overnight usage was on the 35min range every night.

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
My battery is draining a lot quicker now that my phone is jailbroken, what you guys think is my3G and mywi causing this, should I delete them since I'm not using them?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Springflash did it for me.

I initially had this mapped to "hold" on the status bar. Well, I was playing a game and somehow, with the currently buggy Activator, the light came on. Of course I failed to notice it and the light was on for 10 or 15 minutes (and WOW did it get hot).

Unmapped it in Activator and forgot about it.

Flashforward, my phone has been draining at a pretty good click for the last couple of days. Logged into my iPhone via SSH and behold:

32 ?? Ss 0:00.02 /usr/bin/springflashd

Springflash installed a daemon. Uninstalled it, and the battery which has been draining quickly all day (80% after barely any use) is now holding steady.

If you are having serious problems, log into your phone with MobileTerminal or SSH and PM me the results from the command 'ps ax', without the quotes. Although it's not always indicative, often this is enough to tell what is killing it (assuming it's not just overreaction)

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
I turned off SSH through the "more function" on SBSettings and it seems like my battery is holding up a little better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.