Tested the iPhone X at the Apple Store this morning

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MCube74, Nov 2, 2017.

1. MCube74 macrumors 65816

I went to the Apple Store and tested the iPhone X.

Both models are amazing. Really love the feel of the phone. Super comfortable to hold. The interface was so fluid and gestures reminded me of the Palm Pre. I liked that phone so the iPhone X without the home button will be fine for me. Animoji will be fun to use but couldnt play with it so much as many people wanted to test the phones.

The silver model is better than the grey one. It just catches your attention. You want to keep holding it and not let go.
    Yes, I did notice tiny abrasions but it can't be noticed until you look up so close. The shine on the silver model is also nice. The back of the silver model is a mix of gray and champagne combined. Looks nice.

The grey model looks like Jet Black. At the Apple Store the phones were kept near the iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 8 Plus. So when I saw the grey iPhone X and compared to the Jet Black they looked so similar apart for the camera and the size it would be little difficult to tell it's iPhone X.
    The grey model has so many fingerprints and smudges. Users will have to wipe the back of the phone often. Even the frame had many finger prints and smudges.

Overall both phones are nice because Apple made a great phone. Can't wait to get mine later this month.

I think I will go with the Silver model. It is what I have been waiting for. A phone from Apple which is not grey or black and has a black front.

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

How does the Space Gray on the X compare to the Space Gray on the 8/8Plus? Is it the exact same color?

3. cannono macrumors 6502

cannono

Yeah I think that’s why Silver won the polls here. Silver looks better this time. SG doesn’t show the form well and thus resembles the older iPhone 7 and such.

4. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

If you use your phone naked, then go with Silver. If you plan to use a case, go with black. That’s how I feel anyways.

5. TheColtr macrumors 6502

Interesting, I ordered the space grey since I liked my jet black 7 plus and the space grey 8 looks good too. I have a stainless steel watch and I can say that the darker SS shows less scratches. I couldn’t imagine how many searches I’d get on the phone since I don’t use a case, not to mention you saw small abrasions and it’s literally the launch day.

My original iPhone was a black 4, so since this is the first phone that has gone back to a glass back, and is the anniversary iPhone it’s symbolic.

6. MCube74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes kind of same.

7. MCube74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Think of it this way.

Silver looks best naked or with the Apple Case

The key is the SS Frame. It just shines and catches attention

8. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

The vast majority will put their phones in a case, thus color of phone becomes meaningless.

9. MCube74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes but I saw some users purposely scratching the frame with their finger nails. I feel the grey model will also show scratches because the frame color is darker.

When the grey phone was placed on the table face down it looked horrible with the smudges and finger prints. Not one to be used without a case.

10. MCube74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Not with the Apple Case. The bottom of the phone can be seen.

Silver will go with any color case.

Cosmos Blue and Silver

11. MCube74 thread starter macrumors 65816

12. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

I doubt most people will be staring at the bottom of phone. If the phone is in a non clear case, color of phone is meaningless.

13. MCube74 thread starter macrumors 65816

14. MCube74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Of course but the contrast will be eye catching

15. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Silver looks great to me, but the grey looks more seamless. Two good options this year with no terrible white bezel. Think everyone will be happy.

16. donster28, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

donster28 macrumors 68000

I still like the grey one better. Yes, it’s seamless indeed and looks classier.

The camera on the silver is what’s driving me nuts...it sticks out like crazy.

I can’t deal with fine scratches on the silver because they need extra and invasive effort to remove...good luck on not getting polish on those bottom holes. I can deal with fingerprints on the grey because at least I know can wipe them just like that. And with a cover, it’s lesser of a hassle.

17. joefrank64k macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

Thanks for the pics, OP!! Your impressions match mine when I went in last week to check out the 8’s in Silver and SG, trying to make up my mind on the X pre-order.

Your pics make me really excited to be getting silver X’s tomorrow!! :)

18. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

Now I know why Apple didn't include a gold this year. These two are so perfect that if there was a third, many people might actually pick the third option. Or they are saving that warmer tone for later, just like how the gold didn't come out until the final bit of the first decade.

19. Macalway macrumors 68030

Another color thread. They are adding up :)

20. donster28 macrumors 68000

I just noticed that myself and I fell for it..LOL!

I think the OP, which I thought is already set for the silver one, is desperately trying hard to gather opinions from us to help him decide...or make him feel better about his decision. ;)

21. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

I saw the sg 8 again earlier and think the rear has oleophobic coating. It smudges but not as badly as the jb 7 next to it. Or the S8, Note8, and Essential which all smudge easily.

My preferences would have been black rear but silver banding as tribute to the first iPhone. Too bad so many of us had to base our order through videos, photos, and second-hand accounts.

I actually think the space gray doesn't seem so bad. But I guess I'll be happy with silver. I'm one who actual prefers that bling-bling even if it scratches. Reminds me of classic iPods and iPhone 2G-3Gs.

If you have a sg AW, then it makes sense to match it up with sg X. I guess since the sg X doesn't show as much fingerprints as other black reared phones, the off-white rear will show even less.

22. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Wish the silver model had darker chrome sides more like the space gray model

23. donster28 macrumors 68000

Exactly! And if they made the camera unit silver too.

24. LasersGoPewPew macrumors regular

LasersGoPewPew

I ordered silver but kind of wish I got the space gray now after seeing the pics. But it’s going in a case anyways so I guess it doesn’t really matter.

25. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Hey OP, before dropping $1000 on a phone, how about spending $5 on a pair of nail clippers? :p

In all seriousness though, I'm also getting the silver/white for the same reason. Always wanted a black front with the white/silver. Looks super classy imo.