Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Curious to see how the space gray stainless bands hold against scratching. It definitely has a similar color to the black stainless Apple Watch, but with the PVD coating, should be interesting to see the overall durability.

Reactions: Olivia23

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Like both colors but man the back of the silver looks white to me and I hate white phones. Lol.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I went to the Apple Store and tested the iPhone X.

Both models are amazing. Really love the feel of the phone. Super comfortable to hold. The interface was so fluid and gestures reminded me of the Palm Pre. I liked that phone so the iPhone X without the home button will be fine for me. Animoji will be fun to use but couldnt play with it so much as many people wanted to test the phones.

The silver model is better than the grey one. It just catches your attention. You want to keep holding it and not let go.
Yes, I did notice tiny abrasions but it can't be noticed until you look up so close. The shine on the silver model is also nice. The back of the silver model is a mix of gray and champagne combined. Looks nice.

The grey model looks like Jet Black. At the Apple Store the phones were kept near the iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 8 Plus. So when I saw the grey iPhone X and compared to the Jet Black they looked so similar apart for the camera and the size it would be little difficult to tell it's iPhone X.
The grey model has so many fingerprints and smudges. Users will have to wipe the back of the phone often. Even the frame had many finger prints and smudges.

Overall both phones are nice because Apple made a great phone. Can't wait to get mine later this month.

I think I will go with the Silver model. It is what I have been waiting for. A phone from Apple which is not grey or black and has a black front.

Thanks for the feedback, I’m glad to finally hear the grey one is like the JB 7. I have the JB 7+ and love it, so I’ve been hoping the grey X was a close match for it.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I just noticed that myself and I fell for it..LOL!

I think the OP, which I thought is already set for the silver one, is desperately trying hard to gather opinions from us to help him decide...or make him feel better about his decision. ;)
So much for being nice and sharing my experience at the Apple Store.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Hey OP, before dropping $1000 on a phone, how about spending $5 on a pair of nail clippers?

In all seriousness though, I'm also getting the silver/white for the same reason. Always wanted a black front with the white/silver. Looks super classy imo.
Lol. Actually it was my plan this morning after shaving. I rushed out to go to the Apple Store before by business meeting. Will take care of it tonight. Thanks for the reminder.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Like both colors but man the back of the silver looks white to me and I hate white phones. Lol.
It's not white for sure.

It all depends o the lighting. With bright white light it may look light grey or off white. With yellowish light it may look grayish champagne color. It's a nice color.

The SG model looks more black than grey.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I can confidently say everyone will be happy with their iPhone X. It's a stunning phone. Just sad that I have to wait for mine.

To all others who are getting their phone, I want to say that you have nothing to worry.

Reactions: JerTheGeek

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I can confidently say everyone will be happy with their iPhone X. It's a stunning phone. Just sad that I have to wait for mine.

To all others who are getting their phone, I want to say that you have nothing to worry.

There’s going to be some, there always is :rolleyes: I won’t be one of them, can’t wait until I get mine this afternoon. I’m even happier now I know the grey is more like the Jet Black.

Going to be a fun day, new iPhone then tonight is the fireworks display which is in the field at the back of our house. So me and the wife will be sitting with the chiminea going, roasting marshmallows, hot cider in hand and I’ll be taking photos of the fireworks with my new toy. Happy days :D

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
both look awesome. i would love to have both colors :D but for me personally i can't see myself with the flashy one. just doesn't fit my style i guess.

Reactions: blackhawk526

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
There’s going to be some, there always is :rolleyes: I won’t be one of them, can’t wait until I get mine this afternoon. I’m even happier now I know the grey is more like the Jet Black.

Going to be a fun day, new iPhone then tonight is the fireworks display which is in the field at the back of our house. So me and the wife will be sitting with the chiminea going, roasting marshmallows, hot cider in hand and I’ll be taking photos of the fireworks with my new toy. Happy days :D
Sounds fun. Lucky you.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
both look awesome. i would love to have both colors :D but for me personally i can't see myself with the flashy one. just doesn't fit my style i guess.
For me stainless steel is an attraction.

I have a stainless steel Apple Watch, Silver bracelet and Silver ring. I wear these everyday.

I normally dress formal on weekdays and casual in the weekend.

Reactions: Olivia23

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Sounds fun. Lucky you.

Well the dog gets really wound up when there’s fireworks, so we don’t like to leave her. Least doing that we can enjoy them and keep an eye on the dog. Besides, I’m a big kid, I love fireworks and the display here has been outstanding the past few years.
[doublepost=1509694614][/doublepost]

I have a stainless steel Apple Watch, Silver bracelet and Silver ring. I wear these everyday.

I really, really want to make a joke about your silver ring, but it would be in bad taste and I can almost feel the wife smacking the back of my head :D

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012

yeah if it fits your style, absolutely. that white back is freaking beautiful but for me it would just look forced and put-on if you get what i mean.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Well the dog gets really wound up when there’s fireworks, so we don’t like to leave her. Least doing that we can enjoy them and keep an eye on the dog. Besides, I’m a big kid, I love fireworks and the display here has been outstanding the past few years.

I really, really want to make a joke about your silver ring, but it would be in bad taste and I can almost feel the wife smacking the back of my head :D
Hehe. It's actually white gold. I don't wear my wedding ring everyday as it costs too much money. The ring I am wearing is the one my wife gave me since we were dating before marriage. It has been with me ever since. Never leave without it.

Last edited:

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
yeah if it fits your style, absolutely. that white back is freaking beautiful but for me it would just look forced and put-on if you get what i mean.
You know yourself better than anyone. Think what will suit you best.

Light color phones can match many cases and clothing. Just like my Silver Apple Watch I have 10 bands at home. All different colors and styles. The black one is limited.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Hehe. It's actually white gold. I don't wear my wedding right everyday as it costs too much money. The ring I am wearing is the one my wife gave me since we were dating before marriage. It has been with me ever since. Never leave without it.

Awwww, you’ll get me all teary you old sentimental you ;)

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I went to the Apple Store and tested the iPhone X.

The grey model looks like Jet Black. At the Apple Store the phones were kept near the iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 8 Plus. So when I saw the grey iPhone X and compared to the Jet Black they looked so similar apart for the camera and the size it would be little difficult to tell it's iPhone X.
The grey model has so many fingerprints and smudges. Users will have to wipe the back of the phone often. Even the frame had many finger prints and smudges.
I did not think the Space Grey looked like Jet Black at all. You can definitely tell that is a dark grey color and not black. The Silver also is a very light grey. I'm not sure why people keep saying it's white. So you have a dark grey and a light grey, not a black or white to choose from. Sorry

xsimplyjosh

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
I got the iPhone X in Silver 64GB too. Coming from a 6S Plus

Pros:
I like the size more, was getting kinda sick of the Plus form factor this feels just right. The iPhone 6/7/8 Screen was too small with the huge bezels and this fit nicely in between fulfilling the cons of both the 6/7/8 and 6/7/8 Plus
Got used to the gestures so quickly, I don't know why people made a huge drama out of the "New gestures thing"

Cons:
Can't think of much really, other than the initial price, I hope it fades quickly haha.

Hope I can get 3-4 years out of this phone. Worst case scenario I would just change the battery after 2-3 years.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Silver looks cheap to me, when I saw it in person the stainless steel band being shiny killed it for me.

Grey all the way
You mean the original iPhone many years ago looked cheap also?

None of the iPhone X phones look cheap.

Today when you pay $1500 for the phone, you will realise it fast enough.

Megan Boyce

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2016

now im all curious lol

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
You mean the original iPhone many years ago looked cheap also?

None of the iPhone X phones look cheap.

Today when you pay $1500 for the phone, you will realise it fast enough.
Well if thats what you concluded, then yes I guess the orignal does in my opinion...

When I had one in hand yesterday it did look cheap, it might not be cheap in price but the silver due to the shiny band looks tacky and cheap.

If it didnt have that I'd probably like the silver a lot better.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I normally dress formal on weekdays and casual in the weekend.

I wouldn't have been opposed if Apple would have put silver stainless bands on the space gray version. I think that would have looked interesting with the contrast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.