Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleTomsk

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2020
Please see their work below. It's still under development stage.

They have not only fixed Antelope. But other brands like PreSonus, Slate Digital, Focusrite, Apogee Digital and few NAS brands like Drobo and PROMISE.

Such a promising thing so far when everyone gave up, especially on Antelope. They have done a demonstration too.

"Their so-called solution" is nothing more than what has been known for at least minimum a year and was found out by some users at Tonymac. First and foremost in the distribution was Joevt who has clarified some of the work of the drivers etc..

They just try to make money with it which obviously fails because this method

A) doesn't always work and B) can't be used by everyone.

On "their" original method is not addressed due to a bug.... :D
I formulate differently... There has never been this, they are trying to find a way but there is currently no solution or success.

They talk about slate but funny that no slate is shown in the video.
I really know only one video where the whole thing was implemented and also ran and that was from DSM2.
May he rest in peace.

xmas1er

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2021
Further Research:
Any explanations as to why the ethernet and usb open host controllers @thunderbolt@145,0,0 @148,0,0 and @148,0,1 has no driver installed would be appreciated.

Theses devices don’t really “need” any drivers within Mac OS.

Apple used Open usb standards. My Thunderbolt Display does the opposite from cold boot he turns the display on but no speakers , microphone or camera until I reboot.

During sleep disconnects and unplugging power from display my usb devices remain working on Mac OS.

which ssdt our you using? Pins 3&5 need to be jumped together as well.

Has been away for a while on business...
SSDT used is from Martin Lo's 0.64 package: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...n.2180095/page-53?post=28255048#post-28255048
See message #1,314, userid:h9826790

Pins 3&5 were jumped.
System still functions as described in my message#1,536 above. Love it.

Rarely, twice reboot will not turn the display on; connect and disconnect the thunderbolt cable will turn the display on.
I brought a new thunderbolt3 to 2 adapter and a new thunderbolt2 cable connecting to the thunderbolt port at the back of the display. The original thunderbolt cable was unused. That seems to turn on the display consistently(on 2 reboots) so far.

I'm trying to get the ethernet port working on the Apple Thunderbolt Display. Seems like Big Sur didn't load AppleBCM5701Ethernet kext for unknown reason... Might try using CatalinaBCM5701Ethernet.kext from Opencore-Legacy-Patcher. Did you or anyone get your Apple thunderbolt display ethernet working?

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
Hi joevt. Could you explain more how you did this physically? I have a flashed TR V2 TB3 AIC card running fine in my 2008 MacPro (11.5 Final) for Thunderbolt connectivity but the USB 3.1 connectivity is not working although System Information shows the presence of the USB controller and installed driver. Does the config.plist require extra lines to get USB3.1 working in addition to the lines that enable TB?

I connected the USB 2.0 header to an internal USB 2.0 hub, the PCIe 6 pin power to the power supply, but no Thunderbolt header connection or jumper (means Force Power is not required)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 15.56.04.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 15.56.04.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 109

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Item 7. is not necessary but I want Display USB 2 ports to work.
Item 7 is not needed to make USB 2.0 ports of other Thunderbolt devices to work.
Item 7 is only for allowing the USB-C ports of the Host Titan Ridge to do USB 2.0.

Any explanations as to why the ethernet and usb open host controllers @thunderbolt@145,0,0 @148,0,0 and @148,0,1 has no driver installed would be appreciated.
OHCI = USB controller. Do the USB ports of the display work?

Do the OHCI USB drivers have the Thunderbolt compatible flag set?
I checked my Catalina system extensions. The file at /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBHostFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBOHCIPCI.kext/Contents/Info.plist has the IOPCITunnelCompatible set to false. It needs to be set to true to be usable under Thunderbolt. Patching Big Sur kexts is not easy. OpenCore maybe can do it. Maybe a codeless kext can be made that just points to this kext but has the flag set to true.

The reason why OHCI USB might work for some people using Thunderbolt and not others (using the same macOS version) is because macOS doesn't know it's connected with Thunderbolt. In your screenshot, the slot name is "Thunderbolt@...." so I guess macOS knows it's connected with Thunderbolt in your case. Your Thunderbolt is working too well!

But wait, the Thunderbolt Display also has EHCI controllers. Looking at /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBHostFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCIPCI.kext/Contents/Info.plist, I see that the flag is false for generic EHCI controllers but is true for the EHCI controllers that exist in the Thunderbolt Display.

EHCI is for USB 2.0 so maybe your USB is working fine?
OHCI is for USB 1.1 so maybe some USB devices of the display are not working?
Do the EHCI and OHCI USB controllers control the same ports or different ports?
Need an ioreg dump to see what's connected to what (after enabling the OHCI driver and connecting stuff to all the ports)

I'm trying to get the ethernet port working on the Apple Thunderbolt Display. Seems like Big Sur didn't load AppleBCM5701Ethernet kext for unknown reason... Might try using CatalinaBCM5701Ethernet.kext from Opencore-Legacy-Patcher. Did you or anyone get your Apple thunderbolt display ethernet working?
Your screenshot doesn't have the info for the Ethernet device. An ioreg dump can get that info, or lspci, or FixPCIeLinkRate.efi.

Last edited:
Reactions: dabotsonline

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hi joevt. Could you explain more how you did this physically? I have a flashed TR V2 TB3 AIC card running fine in my 2008 MacPro (11.5 Final) for Thunderbolt connectivity but the USB 3.1 connectivity is not working although System Information shows the presence of the USB controller and installed driver. Does the config.plist require extra lines to get USB3.1 working in addition to the lines that enable TB?
My Thunderbolt cards are not flashed so they have working USB.

The USB 2.0 hub I used connects to a USB 2.0 port of my MacPro3,1. The 6 pin power comes from a Netstor NA255A, but I don't think that's required.

BriceChevallier

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
Hey guys!

Im might need some support right now.
Im trying to flash my Titan Ridge 2.0 following the github tutorial and Im having this error when trying to flash the firmware on the blue chip.

% flashrom -p ch341a_spi -w TitanRidgeNVM23-E64Fr.bin

flashrom v1.2 on Darwin 19.6.0 (x86_64)

flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.

Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q80.V" (1024 kB, SPI) on ch341a_spi.

Error: Image size (273511 B) doesn't match the flash chip's size (1048576 B)!

Any kind of help would be appreciate.
Thanks
Best,
Brice C

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hey guys!

Im might need some support right now.
Im trying to flash my Titan Ridge 2.0 following the github tutorial and Im having this error when trying to flash the firmware on the blue chip.

Code:
% flashrom -p ch341a_spi -w TitanRidgeNVM23-E64Fr.bin
flashrom v1.2 on Darwin 19.6.0 (x86_64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at [URL]https://flashrom.org[/URL]
Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q80.V" (1024 kB, SPI) on ch341a_spi.
Error: Image size (273511 B) doesn't match the flash chip's size (1048576 B)!
Is the .bin file actually a zip file?

dd if=TitanRidgeNVM23-E64Fr.bin count=1 | xxd

if the first couple bytes are PK then it's a zip file and needs to be decompressed first.

JoeOIVOV

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2020
I found out today that, to fix the problem with the brightness control becoming broken after sleeping and waking with a Apple Thunderbolt Display... you can either, run this command after every wake: sudo killall corebrightnessd

Or, connect the USB header on the Titan Ridge to the USB 2.0 port on the MacPro, it seems like connecting this cable after first of all, fixing the sleeping issue by removing the resistor noted earlier in this thead, connecting the USB cable allows the wake up to work better in my experience as before I would have to run the command above to get my brightness control back.

Now with the cable connected, I no longer need to do that. Maybe it would help waking up of other TB devices as well. I figured I'd share in case there are other people using the 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display with their Titan Ridge.

Reactions: Macschrauber

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
I found out today that, to fix the problem with the brightness control becoming broken after sleeping and waking with a Apple Thunderbolt Display... you can either, run this command after every wake: sudo killall corebrightnessd

Or, connect the USB header on the Titan Ridge to the USB 2.0 port on the MacPro, it seems like connecting this cable after first of all, fixing the sleeping issue by removing the resistor noted earlier in this thead, connecting the USB cable allows the wake up to work better in my experience as before I would have to run the command above to get my brightness control back.

Now with the cable connected, I no longer need to do that. Maybe it would help waking up of other TB devices as well. I figured I'd share in case there are other people using the 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display with their Titan Ridge.
Please would you post your config.plist and SSDT-TBOLT3.aml files

JoeOIVOV

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2020
Sure, I put the titan ridge in the 4th slot. 3rd slot is empty 2 is nvme, and 1 is gpu

Attachments

• config.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 113

quattro4ever

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2019
Poland
I have a problem with Titan Ridge rev 1.0 (flashed),
I installed Big Sur 11.2, then OpenCore 0.7.2 with Martin's Package
it looks like the system does not see thunderbolt only usb 3.1
the usb-c disk connected to the card works normally, the disk connected with the Thunderbolt cable is not visible in the system
the same for Mojave 10.14.6 and Catalina 10.15.7

Screenshot 2021-08-28 at 14.47.58.png
Screenshot 2021-08-28 at 14.48.40.png
Screenshot 2021-08-28 at 14.50.08.png

aclarubicin

macrumors member
May 27, 2018
Hi all,

Have noticed that the Titan Ridge is out of stock in many places and has now been replaces with the Maple Ridge.
Any news on flashing those for macos compatibility?

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Hi all,

Have noticed that the Titan Ridge is out of stock in many places and has now been replaces with the Maple Ridge.
Any news on flashing those for macos compatibility?

Maple ridge flashing likely won't come until/if Apple releases a new Mac Pro with a TB4 maple ridge controller. You can still find the Titan Ridge V2.0 in stock on amazon

SDVIG

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2021
Hello.
Have you had a successful experience GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 Thunderbolt 3 with MacPro 3.1?
I have 2 controllers version 2.0 and 1.0 flashed Mac Pro.
It work on MacPro 5.1 with Apollo Twin mk2 without an Open Core, with a cold reboot.
But they don't work with MacPro 3.1
The controller itself in the system is determined.(MacPro 3.1)
On MacPro 3.1 installed macOS High Sierra using a patcher.
Thanks for the answer.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
Yes, I have (had) a working flashed GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 Thunderbolt 3 in slot 4 in a MacPro 3.1 (on Monterey 12). I removed it recently due to lack of PCie slots after installing an RX580 GPU. TB worked fine but I was NOT able to get USB 3.1 working although system information showed the presence of the card and loaded drivers. The secret to TB success was modifying lines 23 and 26 in the SSDT-TBOLT3.aml file to match the "path" to the card.
Here is the SSDT that worked for me.

Attachments

• SSDT-TBOLT3.aml.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 166

JoeOIVOV

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2020
Yes, I have (had) a working flashed GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 Thunderbolt 3 in slot 4 in a MacPro 3.1 (on Monterey 12). I removed it recently due to lack of PCie slots after installing an RX580 GPU. TB worked fine but I was NOT able to get USB 3.1 working although system information showed the presence of the card and loaded drivers. The secret to TB success was modifying lines 23 and 26 in the SSDT-TBOLT3.aml file to match the "path" to the card.
Here is the SSDT that worked for me.

Nice! I swapped my .aml file for this one and it fixed it for me as well. Thank you! I usually have to boot it up with a type-c usb plugged in, and then have to replug it once its up to use tb3 data drives, now with this .aml file it comes up right away, no replugging.

One thing I haven't been able to get working is the network port on Thunderbolt Display. Not a big deal, but I retested and still doesn't work. Maybe there is something obvious to get it working?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Nice! I swapped my .aml file for this one and it fixed it for me as well. Thank you! I usually have to boot it up with a type-c usb plugged in, and then have to replug it once its up to use tb3 data drives, now with this .aml file it comes up right away, no replugging.

One thing I haven't been able to get working is the network port on Thunderbolt Display. Not a big deal, but I retested and still doesn't work. Maybe there is something obvious to get it working?
Figure out what Ethernet controller the Thunderbolt Display uses, then check the Info.plist of the kext that's supposed to match to see if it's setup properly.

g2only

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2015
USA
I hate to ask, but is there a plug and play one-stop solution to installing the GC-Titan Ridge board? Or at least a step-by-step compilation of what works to this point? Mac Pro Early 2009 flashed to 5,1...

I've been reading through this for a couple hours now and have gotten conbobulated on what to do, hah! ?

SDVIG

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2021

nekton1

Thanks a lot.
This works on MacPro 3.1 installed macOS High Sierra
Apollo Twin mk2, with a cold reboot.
It works without Open Core.
flashed GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 & GC-Titan Ridge 1.0 in the 4 slot.
You just need to turn on Apollo first.
(On MacPro 4.1 and 5.1, you can turn on Apollo later, with a cold reboot.
flashed GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 & GC-Titan Ridge 1.0 in the 4 slot.)
And it works with Open Core too.)))
I'm on youtube:
Thanks.

Last edited:

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
Has anybody EVER got Thunderbolt AND USB3.1 working on a flashed TitanRidge TB3 AIC card in any classic MacPro from 3,1 thru 5.1? I can get TB working OK but USB3.1 has NEVER been functional although System Information shows the presence of the USB 3.1 side of the TitanRidge card and loaded drivers.

Attachments

• PCi bus.png
    PCi bus.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 92
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.