Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To make the Unbox Therapy guy seem less annoying, imagine he got tanked before shooting the video and is trying his damnedest to seem sober.

It… it doesn't work, but it's a fun mental exercise.

He is constantly trending on YouTube and I know he has a strong following, but his video's and the way he conducts himself is absolutely obnoxious. Other forum members have mentioned he appears intoxicated during filming, is this a regular occurrence for him or something? Anyways, my 32 GB is plenty fast. Didn't need to waste my time watching his video.

Reactions: xDKP

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
4x the speed would make sense, but 8x is a bit much.

does not seem to be the same chip. probably an older and cheaper technology, since 32GB has been around for a long time.

Reactions: Wondercow

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
He is constantly trending on YouTube and I know he has a strong following, but his video's and the way he conducts himself is absolutely obnoxious. Other forum members have mentioned he appears intoxicated during filming, is this a regular occurrence for him or something? Anyways, my 32 GB is plenty fast. Didn't need to waste my time watching his video.

His videos were used to be good. I mean, with a more serious tone for the stuff he's reviewing/unboxing. Nowadays, he yells at the mic like he's drunk, laughing like a buffoon. His voice is so damn annoying.

Unsubscribed him.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Reading speed is around 800Mb and writing speed around 80Mb on my 7+ 32Gb.
Don't really care as I probably will not notice any differences in real world performance.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 118

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
The high cost of being cheap!
More like the high cost of cheap internals to save a few pennies.
[doublepost=1476856660][/doublepost]
Reading speed is around 800Mb and writing speed around 80Mb on my 7+ 32Gb.
Don't really care as I probably will not notice any differences in real world performance.
It's definitely noticeable when you're transferring things to your device.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
"... controller has more access to the NAND flash memory chips..."

Er, that should probably read "... controller has access to more NAND flash memory chips..."

The former implies the controller can access the chips in more ways, while the latter tells it like it is, there are more chips available.
So when you get to the last 32gb of free space of your 256gb device, will it be the same speed as a 32gb device? Serious question, I didn't know about these speed differences.

coldsweat

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Not being a grammar nazi or anything like that, but can any of my American cousins answer whether the first sentence of the article is just an American way of saying things or is it sloppy writing.................

"A couple weeks ago etc. etc.........."

To me it should be 'A couple of weeks ago etc. etc.' (an 'of' has been added)

Just curious if it's an American English thing!

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Not being a grammar nazi or anything like that, but can any of my American cousins answer whether the first sentence of the article is just an American way of saying things or is it sloppy writing.................

"A couple weeks ago etc. etc.........."

To me it should be 'A couple of weeks ago etc. etc.' (an 'of' has been added)

Just curious if it's an American English thing!
"A couple of weeks" is correct. "A couple weeks" is just bad grammar, not American English.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010

This writing speed case is interesting just as a fact, however ... for real world performance...not worth making any problem out of it IMO.

P.S. I installed 10.1 (B4)...maybe that is why I get ~80Mb and not 40Mb...( ? )

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
This writing speed case is interesting just as a fact, however ... for real world performance...not worth making any problem out of it IMO.

P.S. I installed 10.1 (B4)...maybe that is why I get ~80Mb and not 40Mb...( ? )
For real world performance you're probably not going to notice much.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
While the 32gb model may be slower than its larger brethren, it's still faster than the 6S's SSD. Also I don't think the person buying the 32gb model will care... someone writing lots of content needing the speed would have at least 128
My 6S Plus 64gb got 183 MB/s write and 664 MB/s read.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
While the 32gb model may be slower than its larger brethren, it's still faster than the 6S's SSD. Also I don't think the person buying the 32gb model will care... someone writing lots of content needing the speed would have at least 128

My 6S 255. That would be 6x faster than the 7

Note just reran it and got 280, so 6-7 times faster

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
My 6S 255. That would be 6x faster than the 7

Note just reran it and got 280, so 6-7 times faster

I assume your 6s is either 64GB or 128GB? Does anybody have a 16GB 6s to test it against the 32GB 7?
[doublepost=1476865429][/doublepost]

This is the thing I'm curious about. Assuming the Lightning port on the 7/7+ is still USB2.0 and the theoretical max speed of 2.0 is 480Mbps which is equals to 60MB/s. That means my 32GB 7+ is hitting max speed on the USB2.0 since it's write speed is 60-70MB/s.

So how is it possible that the movie transfer test that Hilsenteger did in his video showed a ~50secs difference between the 32GB and 256GB models?

The movie he transferred is a 4GB+ file. And the time difference between both devices is definitely not 8x like shown in benchmarks. So sometimes benchmarks only tells so much.

Therefore I assume normal consumers will never really feel the difference because transferring a 4-5GB file to your phone is not a thing you do everyday and you'll never have both the 32GB and 256GB side by side to compare anyways.

Last edited:

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Ok this is an explanation taken from another website:
This is flash channels in play.
More capacity, more flash chips, more (parallel) channels the phone has.
Which translate to faster R/W, same behavior from SSD.

Usually max speed is hit when all the available channels are used (8 channels maybe?).
And to give good user experience, more mainstream capacity will be picked to utilize all the channels, in this case 128GB.
This translates to 128GB/8 channels (I assume) = 16GB/die
On 32GB variant, it could be using 8GB/die or 16GB/die flash, which mean only using 4 channels or 2 channels. Theoretically half or even quarter speed of the 128GB capacity variant.

For 256GB variant, it can use 8 channels * 32GB/die flash, of total 256GB capacity with same speed. This way manufacturer don't have to produce different flash controller to handle different capacity, changing the flash size will do.

Reactions: alleggerita

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
As someone who has been following tech for a long time, stop trying to find problems with tech and just enjoy it. If you had an iphone 3GS in the year '99 your mind probably have exploded in amazement about 3 times.

There are some real problems (like screen discoloration, faulty drives) then there are problems that people want to create to complain (slower transfer speeds between iphone models, antenna gate)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.