Texans report seeing UFO

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, Jan 14, 2008.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

CNN

I don't know anyone who claims they've seen a UFO. But I wish to god I could see one, if there are any. I find these stories fascinating.

That stat about the pilots is kinda strange tho. YT link

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I once saw an unexplainable small multi-colored light in the night sky while at work. I asked if it was an airplane, and apparently it wasn't. Probably something else, but since it was definitely 'unidentified', I suppose it was a UFO in the technical sense.

3. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Of course it's an UFO. UFO is an "unidentified flying object". Since this flying object has not been identified, it's an UFO by definition. Is it aliens? Well, that's a whole different matter.

:rolleyes:

4. Queso macrumors G4

I saw one back in the early 90s. Luckily the story made the local paper so nobody thought I was mental when I went on about it :)

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Um, so say there are 300m Americans, 42m of you peeps have seen a UFO?

Crikey, the US Air Force has been busy ;)

6. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

To be honest whenever I see people who've claimed to have seen UFOs on TV (many of them Texans?) they don't exactly seem the sharpest knives in the drawer. Nothing to get excited about I'm sure!

7. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Crap, they spotted my poker buddies trying to go home.

8. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You know a normal star, close to the horizon, will go thru every color of the spectrum like a pinwheel. Its actually quite pretty.

9. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

So, many people actually saw this phenomenon, and not one of them had a cell phone with a camera (is there one now without??), or a digital camera near at hand.

Me, cynical??

10. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

12. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

You've nailed it! Steve is going to tell us where all this amazing technology is coming from... it's not from our planet :eek:

13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I got some new glasses last week and was enjoying looking an airliner flying over my house for the first time in ages. I could actually see the craft. It was a very clear sky and it was late afternoon so the sun was low. Then not too far from the plane there was a huge flash of light. It actually hurt my eyes for the split second it happened. I was like 'what the feck was that?'
    Turns out it was another airliner flying in the opposite direction and the sun reflected off its side as it turned and shined directly into my face. I'm a level headed guy but this plane seemed to appear from nowhere with a huge flash of light. It was quite impressive and had me thinking for a second what it was.

14. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I had thought of that, but this was considerably larger than a star or planet. My guess is that I was seeing another airplane, perhaps one of the Citations that partol the border (I was just north of El Paso at the time). Their presence wouldn't be made known to me, and maybe they elected to fly with just their nav lights on.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've seen a few of these. As another poster says whether or not they were aliens is another matter.

Oh, and my extremely down to earth father swears he saw one too. Only found out recently that the area he spotted it flying around is a hotbed for strange activity. Silly government. A few of us spotted one of them "donuts on a rope" style steamlines after hearing some strange bangs a long time ago.

16. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

About 10 years ago I was in Vegas for CES and a couple friends and I had rented an SUV and gone exploring in the hills outside of the city. We were driving over the crest of a hill and all of a sudden over the horizon there was a shiny cylindrical looking thing that shot up, hovered in mid-air for about 10 seconds, and then took off to the side faster than I've ever seen anything move. All 3 of us saw it, and we all just say there silent for at least a minute, then just looked at each other like WTF :confused:

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What do you think the aliens think when they fly over.:p I bet it is by design tho, fly over the dumb people that nobody would believe or fly over hollywood and have a bunch of movie stars see something.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I believe they probably saw a UFO.

The excuse given by the government is usually, "We were testing new aircrafts that night", or "It was the Sun's light playing tricks."

Then people will complain there's no photo or video, but when there IS a photo or video, people believe it was edited in.....an obvious fake.

In other words, even if people did see an alien flying in the sky, the entire population of the world would miss the news entirely, as we'd just treat it as "weird news".

19. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

I've seen some odd looking planes :) UFOs, sure, aliens, no ;)

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Is that you Mulder?

21. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Shall we invoke Occam's razor? What is more probable: alien spacecraft regularly travel light years to visit our planet, only to immediately turn around, and every government in the world is covering it up, or some people have seen unusual (or sometimes not so unusual) phenomenon in the sky, and hastily attribute it to aliens?

If there were aliens visiting our planet, there wouldn't be a debate - we'd know.

23. dudeitseddy macrumors member

i honestly believe its possible that there are aliens. i doubt they ever came here.

24. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The odds are very good that there is intelligent life out in the universe, the odds are even better that there is bacteria living somewhere out there.

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The first. :)