Texture to Shut Down May 28 Following Launch of Apple News+

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 29, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple-owned Texture has announced that it will be shutting down on May 28, 2019, pointing customers towards Apple News+.

[​IMG]

Texture is a subscription-based magazine service that Apple acquired last year to serve as the foundation of its own Apple News+ magazine and newspaper subscription service launched earlier this week.

As noted by TechCrunch, this news is unfortunate for Texture subscribers who use Android, as Apple News+ is only available on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Apple News+ costs $9.99 per month in the United States, the same price as Texture, and is also available for $12.99 per month in Canada.

Article Link: Texture to Shut Down May 28 Following Launch of Apple News+

2. rosegoldoli macrumors regular

rosegoldoli

3. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors regular

IRockThat828pScreen

Expected casualty, really no reason for it to exist now.

4. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple offering a News+ app on Android (similar as to how they offer a Apple Music app). I think eventually there will be an Apple TV app for Android also.

5. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

I wonder if Apple would offer some services on Android as they do for iTunes?

6. rgbrock1 macrumors member

rgbrock1

If Apple was smart they would offer the News+ subscription service to Android, as well as Windows, users.

7. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Makes sense. Apple News+ offers more for the same price.

By the way, has anyone yet suggested that they should offer Apple News+ on Android? :D

8. fmillion macrumors member

I suppose the roughly 75% of the market that Android still holds is no reason for the Android version to exist now.

Maybe they'll realize like they did with Apple Music that ignoring the majority market is honestly just a bad business decision?

:p

9. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Weird that so many people use that statistic when Apple pulls in virtually all the actual profit, and a big portion of that percentage is super low-end nonsense. That's like saying my local steakhouse is making a bad business decision by not offering a dollar menu to compete with McDonald's.

10. AngerDanger, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Yep. It's a bit like saying it's foolish of Apple to exclusively sell high-end phones when they're missing out on the burner phone market!

Granted, I already have the marketing assets for an Apple burner phone ready to go:

iphone lit af.jpg

Actually, I might wanna show this to Samsung first…

11. RUQRU macrumors regular

RUQRU

I get most of these publications "free" through my public library's virtual online branch. So no need to pay Apple.

12. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

But is it as seamlessly integrated and as inviting to use?

13. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

I think that would be a smart move for Apple.

I also wish Apple offered the Messenger application on Windows like they do on MacOS. I know some would say, no, if you want Messenger on a computer buy a Mac, but I think Apple expanding applications to Android and even Windows does not dilute potential Apple customers but pulls more into the Apple sphere of influence.

14. jhwalker macrumors regular

Hope the News+ app catches up to Texture functionality :/

For example, there doesn't seem to be a way to "favorite" magazines and configure them automatically to download for offline reading when new issues are ready, etc.

It is also nowhere near so easy to navigate to back issues, etc.

15. 4jasontv, Mar 29, 2019

4jasontv macrumors 68000

I get about 20 magazines free because of T Mobile. I read some articles, and most get sent to people who will enjoy them more than me. They all end up at a school for use in arts and crafts projects. I’ve used iPad magazines before, and I found them difficult because I can’t easily rip out content and use and share them as I like.

If it pulled out the articles I care about, and didn’t serve any ads, and let me share content with other apps and other people who don’t have the service than I would be more interested. For me this removes the value of something I’m already hesitant to pay for.

16. Drogba11 macrumors member

Readly is cheaper and has 10x more magazines

17. Moonlight macrumors 6502a

Moonlight

They are both $9.99 a month, how is it cheaper?

18. thejoshuabradshaw macrumors newbie

thejoshuabradshaw

I liked Texture service, but I really like the idea of using my iMac and other devices to read magazines with the new News+(this was not a feature on Texture). Hopefully in time, more publications will be offered.

19. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

You know those local library web systems. Lauded for great UX/

20. ipedro, Mar 29, 2019

ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Unlike AppleMusic and AppleTV+, AppleNews+ isn’t expected to generate significant revenue and is more of a loss leader to sell iPhones and iPads.

It sucks for Texture users on Android but maybe that’s the point. It’s a nudge to get them to move to iOS.

21. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

They already need to redesign the app...I don't want to wade through 100 magazines to find the ones I'm interested in. They need a way to make a tagged or favorites filter.

22. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Except that Texture shows complete magazines as published. Apple news shuffles the pages and gimps the content.

23. centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

What is the under/over on when there will be lawsuits filed alleging antitrust issues about this?

24. Katzup macrumors newbie

Hope Apple News+ provides access to all the magazine back issues that Texture does now - I can only see the current issue in News+.