Thank God for Student Discounts!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheFam, Jul 1, 2008.

1. TheFam macrumors member

With the release of AT&T's plans today, my monthly bill is gonna be something like this:

$69.99 (450 anytime, 5,000 night and weekend)
    $20 (unlimited text)
    $6-$10 (tax. For the sake of calculation, lets say $10)

=$99

99-15% student discount($14.85)

= a reasonable $84.15 a month.

The $10 spike in the data plans and voice plans hurt, but the student discount nearly makes up for it. I'm still a go for Iphone 3G

Anybody else?

2. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

what proof do u show to them to get student discount?:confused:

3. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i want to do this but for me to get the corporate discount i get for being a summer intern (its a nice 22% discount), then i have to be an account holder. my parents pay for my phone, and they could still do this with me as the account holder but they have to run a credit check on me and since i havent established credit then i would have to pay roughly 300 bucks for the deposit which is refundable, but my parents dont want to do that

4. cynr4eva macrumors member

check eligibility here: https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/

If eligible, you'll get an email bringing you to the premiere site, which has a FAN account number on it. I've heard that's all you need, but I'll find out for myself on the 11th.

And yes, Thank God for the discount, I'm actually looking at the exact same plan as you. So clutch.

5. izibo macrumors 6502

TIME OUT!

Since when has at&t announced that school / corporate discounts were going to be available for the iPhone? I have a 15% discount that went bye-bye when I got the first iPhone (and quickly reappeared a month ago when I sold it). What makes you think that things have changed?

6. PcEhAoCsE macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure that the $69.99 includes the UNLIMITED DATA....

7. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea that's got me a little worried. A woman at AT&T said my discount only counts with VOICE plans. Since the iPhone plan has both lumped together I may have a problem. If they are billed as a voice plan + the iPhone data plan, there shouldn't be any problem getting it applied to at least one portion of the plan.

8. izibo macrumors 6502

You'd think that, but we had no service discount for the first iPhone (not even on part of the bill). Why would anything have changed?

9. TheFam thread starter macrumors member

Crap. I forgot to add the data plan.

Ok so 69.99+20.00+30.00+10.00= 129.99-!5%=

Crap.

10. wako macrumors 65816

LOL....

I cant believe nobody picked this up before, but there is no discount on tax. ;)

11. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

69.99 already inculdes the data plan.

12. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Well according to the last 5 reps i've talked to at ATT the discounts will apply to the iphone 3g (not phone but monthly bill) because it is now being treated like any other data phone.

13. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

how the heck are you guys getting such high student/company discounts? (on your plans)

Damn my company only gives me a 10% discount :(

14. elbirth macrumors 65816

This link says it's web only discounts. does the number you mention somehow apply in-store, or can you go online to apply the discount after you've purchased the phone in-store? And do we actually have any actual confirmation that the iPhone 3G will be eligible for student discounts?

15. nojokews6 macrumors regular

the 69.99 includs the data package. your first post was correct. but that is very low for tax. isint tax like 24%?

16. brandonzar macrumors regular

I just got off the phone with AT&T and I asked them about adding a iPhone 3G to my family FAN account and the lady said that it would cost me $30 a month to add the data plan (or $45 if I want the corporate plan), so it looks like the discount only applies to the regular rate plan. :( Unless the lady had no idea what she was talking about...but it sounded pretty legitimate. Still the rate plan is pretty reasonable for how many minutes I get (and never use), at least we won't be paying full price for everything.

17. MojoWill macrumors 6502

surely if your a pennyless tudent you shouldnt be having extravagant phones like this?

18. ayale99 macrumors 6502

19. izibo macrumors 6502

Hmmm... that is interesting, because I remember last year I was told the discount would apply to my existing voice plan but not the iPhone data plan. But sure enough, even though I only added the $20/mo data plan in addition to the Nationwide 900 minutes plan I lost my voice discount.

I hope things are different this time around, but I would caution people against planning on the discount being there when figuring out their budgets.

20. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yeah but the 15 percent off only applies to teh voice part. so the 69.99 is voice and data. 39.99 is the voice part and the 30 extra is data. apply the discount to the voice, which brings voice to 33.99. then add on the 30 for data. which bring the plan to $63.99. then you can add texting and everything from there. this is just speculative and im not even sure if at&t will take discounts on the iphone plan but i would be stoked if they did

21. TheFam thread starter macrumors member

22. brandonzar macrumors regular

Are you kidding, I'm a graduate student in chemistry, we get paid a stipend and can live in student housing so if you play your cards right you can be a pretty well off student.

That is bad news, I hope that lady knew what she was talking about. :confused: Who told you that you would still get the discount?

23. christf10 macrumors member

christf10

I believe it applies to all services. I was browsing the plans and there were discounts attached to the data plans as well.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

24. cynr4eva macrumors member

I'm pretty sure you can bring the FAN number to the AT&T store and they will be able to implement it. Or you can apply it afterwards, either way.

And I'm not sure that the discount is only on voice, if you go the the premiere site it will show you prices after your discount. Everything is discounted, including data.

25. elbirth macrumors 65816

Thanks... I'll write it down just in case and see what they say when I go to pick up the iPhone, but may apply it myself later if it may cause too much fuss in-store so I can be sure to keep things moving, as I'm sure the store will be hectic enough already. If I do end up having to do it later, I hope I can easily do it online instead of having to call AT&T support and discuss it with someone.