Thanksgiving 2010

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Let's talk turkey. It's Thanksgiving in a few days time and I've never been anywhere that's celebrated it or even with friends.

Your favourite recipes and drinks, what you're looking forward to, what you're thankful for this past year, the distances you've travelled, family festivities and feuds, even the Black Friday sales... let's hear it all, no matter how small or grand.

Tell us about your day. :)

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Deep Fried Smoked Turkey... not the healthiest (think cholesterol instead of blood through veins), but tastes dam good.

Black Friday is online shopping only.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Cajun bacon wrapped turkey, rum & diet cokes. :D

4. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and corn pudding. That's all we prepare here. Then, there is of course whiskey and football.

If I'm not asleep by midnight after the huge dinner I head over to the outlet malls and try and catch their sales (they open at midnight). More of a get out of the house/tradition thing.

90% of my Black Friday shopping is done online, mostly Amazon.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Now that you mention cajun, I forgot to mention the good ole Jambalaya with smoked sausage. Down here in NO, that can't be missing.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

What I am looking the most forward to is the Apple Pie I make. It is the best I have ever eaten. Actually it is the only one I ever liked. For those with a dirty mind this is not a reference to "American Pie".

I would also like to make sweet potatoes unfortunately all I can ever find in Georgia are yams labeled as sweet potatoes, though they suffice.

ttar_sweet_potatoes_h.jpg
    Yams Right, Sweet Potatoes left

7. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Turducken.
    A chicken, inside of a duck, inside of a turkey, all empty spaced filled with stuffing.

Seriously, if you've never tried it, please do. It's amazing.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

All the more reason to start a thread about it. :)

We're going to my moms house for dinner.

9. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Flying 2,500 miles in a few days from California to Ohio, not looking forward to that at all. But it will be good to be with family and old friends again, eating amazing food, and not having to work :)

10. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

California to Ohio, I feel for you brother...

11. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Doing this almost every year, it's my way of vicariously living through you all. When I was little, brought up on Disney annuals, I asked my mother if we could have Thanksgiving, but no.

Maybe one day.

Anyway, onwards. After checking out the recipe, I like the sound of wvuwhat's corn pudding. :)

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Going to our annual Thanksgiving fest in Chelsea: an immense meal slaved over for days beforehand by an obsessive cook. Always good fun.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm cooking the turkey, for what ever reason cooking duties has fallen on me instead of the wife. She generally gets home from work so late that I start dinner for the family. So on thanksgiving, I was elected to get up 5:00am/6:00am to start the bird. If I have to get up that early, I might as well do it all.

Anyways, I prefer a simple approach to cooking the turkey and letting the turkey flavor come through. I'll put s few aromatics in the body cavity, smear butter between the meat and the skin and bath the outside of the bird with olive oil.

14. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

Thanksgiving for me the last two years has sucked, since I live in Greece now. It will be just another day for me here. I will gladly accept some leftovers anyone has, just ship it to me in dry ice, or vacuum seal it, I dont care :D

15. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Isn't Turkey for Christmas? do you have it on both days?

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The leftovers are finally gone by Christmas, hence the need for a new turkey to be sacrificed to the gods

I will be taking red to meet some family for the first time

We also have tickets to the Dawgs game on that Saturday
    They are playing the Bees, and she seems to be partial to them for some reason :rolleyes:

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Turkey isn't very popular in Greece. :)

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

We usually have goose for Christmas Saturnalia.

19. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Oh yes! Green bean casserole! I can't wait!
    I'll be driving to Louisiana to see my folks (recently moved there) and let the eating begin. I should have gone on a diet a month ago to prepare. Chocolate pie here I come!

Oh and black Friday, for me, is online only as well. No way I'm getting out in that mess!

But I'm still excited!

20. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

Working all day.. Then meeting the rest of the family at my grandparents house :)

I loves me some pumpkin pie!! :cool:

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I moved to the UK and I haven't had a Thanksgiving in 4 years and I didn't except to miss these family events as much as I do. :eek: :( Such is life.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ I was in Hinckley in 2006 for Thanksgiving and the people I was visiting cooked what they hoped to be a traditional turkey day meal. They did these stuffing balls that would have been classed as assault weapons in the states. The other stuff was meh, but it was really the whole thought that counted. Being a traveler I would have been fine with fish and chips from Kingfishers. :D

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

:D Yeah, Stuffing here is not the same as US stuffing. That's sweet they gave it a go though. It's really just another day for me here. Though I'll have other things on my mind on that Thursday. ;)

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

25. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Turkey is traditional to have for Thanksgiving (though some Philistines eat tofurky :eek:).

Christmas seems to be more open as far as the meat portion of the meal goes. Plus it varies by country. I would consider a goose to be the traditional meal. As that is what Charles Dickens mentions in "A Christmas Carol". As I recall a Christmas Goose is also mentioned in at least one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "Sherlock Holmes" stories.

Normally I have ham for Christmas. The best are Montana Hams. They are actually sweet, tender and don't overdue it on the salt. Rather than the tough salt licks they call hams at the store.