That black notch ruins the movie experience!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donster28, Sep 12, 2017.

1. donster28 macrumors 68000

I don't watch a lot of movies on my iPhone, but for those who do, that black notch on the left on landscape mode on the X just becomes a nuisance, damn...

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You’ve already watched a movie on it?! Dang....

3. donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Haha, good one. Double check, I didn't say I did. ;)

4. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I would guess the notch would be something you get use to, but it is a distraction at least right now.

I think a bar (with persistent displays such as power/cell bars) instead of the video around the notch would have looked better.

5. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

I might as well respond here to a post from another thread that was just closed:

Watching full-screen video, part of the video has always been blocked on every iPhone out there unless the aspect ratio of the screen exactly matched up with the aspect ratio of the video. Why is this only now a problem? If it bothers you, just do a double tap on the video, exactly as before and you'll still end up with a larger screen area:

screen shot 2017-09-15 at 43953 pm.png

6. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

Videos are 16:9 and so are the iPhone Plus models.

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

And that should close this thread.

8. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

The notch has officially taken over the forum :rolleyes:

9. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

All iPhones since...

Attached Files:

10. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

Except the iPhone has been 16:9 since the 5.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2017 ---
    Weirdly enough, I just posted the same thing.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

What does that I have to do with it? The thread was about the notch being intrusive to video. The post I quoted showed that that is optional.

12. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

It was asked why this was NOW a problem. It is because Apple fixed it in older phones. Full screen video can work perfectly.

13. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Actually according to the title of the thread you did. Otherwise how could you make that claim?

14. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

He watched the keynote and saw them show everyone the notch as a part of the video?

15. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

I would've thought watching movies on such a small device would ruin the movie experience. :D
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2017 ---
    That's just wow-factor marketing. Realistically, no one should be watching 16:9 movies on full screen on the X as you have picture cropped out on all 4 sides & also the notch to contend with.

I can only see myself watching Youtube videos in full screen at this stage.

16. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Wait, the new iPhone has a notch in it!? Where would I have heard about this!!?

17. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

Which makes the X functionally worse as a media player than the previous phones.

18. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

The iPhone X provides at least as much space for watching (even) a 16:9 video uncropped as the iPhone 8 does, doesn't it? I'm not sure I get what is supposed to be worse or why the notch specifically would be making anything worse. Who cares whether it's technically "full screen" when the display area filled with uncropped video is just as large (or larger) than on previous phones.

19. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

The notch makes everything worse about the phone because it has no reason to exist. It screws up portrait mode or makes the phone essentially the same amount of usable screen as the 8.

And yes, the revolutionary new phone gives you a 10% bigger usable screen size.

Good job, Apple. Literally everyone did better than you at this.

20. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

Watching content at 16:9 on the X will be no different to watching the content on a 6/7/8. So how is that worse? It’s practically the same size device.

21. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

That has been pointed out to me. Guess the Plus model is just superior.

22. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

It amazes me that to date, in all the notch threads, I can't recall a single person posting this link from Apple: https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/overview/iphone-x/

It's easy to see that the iPhone X display is the same width as the 4.7" iPhone displays, but is substantially taller. Much of that added height is in the clear - it allows for viewing of wider-screen formats (in landscape mode), with less letter boxing. The display is 145 points taller (375x812 points) than an iPhone 7 (375x667 points), including the notch. However, the notch is perhaps 30 points, leaving something like 375x782 vs. 375x667 in the clear.

Apple's current product images are intended to sell the edge-to-edge display - maximize every graphic to fill that screen. In practical use, we will, as always, adjust images to our personal needs and tastes. In cases where the notch is an obstruction, we'll resize until it's outside the margins. I can see, however, that wallpaper, lock screen, and the like will emphasize the notch's existence. If one finds that too offensive, save $200 and get an 8 Plus.

23. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

It's obviously still a physically much larger device. They could always release a Plus-sized version of the iPhone X. Me, I'm actually hoping for a version using the SE's form factor at some point...

24. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

Look. Just take the six form factor and don't have a stupid notch. It's that easy.

25. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

So you'd have a black bar instead of the notch across the top, right? How does that increase the usable screen space?