Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richdmoore

Contributor
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I would guess the notch would be something you get use to, but it is a distraction at least right now.

I think a bar (with persistent displays such as power/cell bars) instead of the video around the notch would have looked better.

Reactions: donster28

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I might as well respond here to a post from another thread that was just closed:

I can't believe full-screen videos aren't cut around the notch. So when you're watching a full-screen video, the notch is literally blocking part of the video.
Watching full-screen video, part of the video has always been blocked on every iPhone out there unless the aspect ratio of the screen exactly matched up with the aspect ratio of the video. Why is this only now a problem? If it bothers you, just do a double tap on the video, exactly as before and you'll still end up with a larger screen area:

screen shot 2017-09-15 at 43953 pm.png

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I might as well respond here to a post from another thread that was just closed:

Watching full-screen video, part of the video has always been blocked on every iPhone out there unless the aspect ratio of the screen exactly matched up with the aspect ratio of the video. Why is this only now a problem? If it bothers you, just do a double tap on the video, exactly as before and you'll still end up with a larger screen area:

View attachment 718581

Videos are 16:9 and so are the iPhone Plus models.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

View attachment 718581
And that should close this thread.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Except the iPhone has been 16:9 since the 5.
[doublepost=1505700679][/doublepost]

Weirdly enough, I just posted the same thing.

What does that I have to do with it? The thread was about the notch being intrusive to video. The post I quoted showed that that is optional.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
What does that I have to do with it? The thread was about the notch being intrusive to video. The post I quoted showed that that is optional.

It was asked why this was NOW a problem. It is because Apple fixed it in older phones. Full screen video can work perfectly.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I would've thought watching movies on such a small device would ruin the movie experience. :D
[doublepost=1505702277][/doublepost]
He watched the keynote and saw them show everyone the notch as a part of the video?
That's just wow-factor marketing. Realistically, no one should be watching 16:9 movies on full screen on the X as you have picture cropped out on all 4 sides & also the notch to contend with.

I can only see myself watching Youtube videos in full screen at this stage.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I would've thought watching movies on such a small device would ruin the movie experience. :D
[doublepost=1505702277][/doublepost]
That's just wow-factor marketing. Realistically, no one should be watching 16:9 movies on full screen on the X as you have picture cropped out on all 4 sides & also the notch to contend with.

I can only see myself watching Youtube videos in full screen at this stage.

Which makes the X functionally worse as a media player than the previous phones.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Which makes the X functionally worse as a media player than the previous phones.
The iPhone X provides at least as much space for watching (even) a 16:9 video uncropped as the iPhone 8 does, doesn't it? I'm not sure I get what is supposed to be worse or why the notch specifically would be making anything worse. Who cares whether it's technically "full screen" when the display area filled with uncropped video is just as large (or larger) than on previous phones.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The iPhone X provides at least as much space for watching (even) a 16:9 video uncropped as the iPhone 8 does, doesn't it? I'm not sure I get what is supposed to be worse or why the notch specifically would be making anything worse. Who cares whether it's technically "full screen" when the display area filled with uncropped video is just as large (or larger) than on previous phones.

The notch makes everything worse about the phone because it has no reason to exist. It screws up portrait mode or makes the phone essentially the same amount of usable screen as the 8.

And yes, the revolutionary new phone gives you a 10% bigger usable screen size.

Good job, Apple. Literally everyone did better than you at this.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
It amazes me that to date, in all the notch threads, I can't recall a single person posting this link from Apple: https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/overview/iphone-x/

It's easy to see that the iPhone X display is the same width as the 4.7" iPhone displays, but is substantially taller. Much of that added height is in the clear - it allows for viewing of wider-screen formats (in landscape mode), with less letter boxing. The display is 145 points taller (375x812 points) than an iPhone 7 (375x667 points), including the notch. However, the notch is perhaps 30 points, leaving something like 375x782 vs. 375x667 in the clear.

Apple's current product images are intended to sell the edge-to-edge display - maximize every graphic to fill that screen. In practical use, we will, as always, adjust images to our personal needs and tastes. In cases where the notch is an obstruction, we'll resize until it's outside the margins. I can see, however, that wallpaper, lock screen, and the like will emphasize the notch's existence. If one finds that too offensive, save $200 and get an 8 Plus.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
That has been pointed out to me. Guess the Plus model is just superior.
It's obviously still a physically much larger device. They could always release a Plus-sized version of the iPhone X. Me, I'm actually hoping for a version using the SE's form factor at some point...

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's obviously still a physically much larger device. They could always release a Plus-sized version of the iPhone X. Me, I'm actually hoping for a version using the SE's form factor at some point...

Look. Just take the six form factor and don't have a stupid notch. It's that easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.