That keyboard in the 2016 MacBook Pro is...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HumpYourWayUp, Dec 1, 2016.

1. HumpYourWayUp macrumors regular

HumpYourWayUp

... AMAZING!!! :D

I read for months -MONTHS- that the new keyboard is awful to use.
    Lots of people bitched about it.
    Even people that never typed one character on the new keyboard wrote heartfelt impressions about how terrible it is.
    And by the way - Most of these horrible descriptions I read right here on macrumors!

So I was reasonably afraid to use the keyboard for the first time.
    And to my surprise it feels great!
    I am a programmer for 18 years now and never typed any faster!
    The bigger keys are easier to use and find. Minor improvements like the backlight not leaking out are nice additions. The whole keyboard feels "accurate"!

So for me the new keyboard is an improvement... Thanks to macrumors for making me paranoid about a keyboard that is totally OK :rolleyes:

2. humanresources macrumors regular

Agreed. Lots of prejudice people here. I love it and I somewhat love the clocks noise it makes. Although it makes me self conscious when I'm in a quiet study room in my university and all you hear is CLACK CACK CLACK CACK. (Srs)

I don't care that I draw attention to myself, I want everyone to know I have the new MacBook Pro, I paid $5000+ Canadian, I better be getting bitties. (Not srs)

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I wouldn't put it like you do, but I feel it's perfectly usable. It's different for sure, but I used to not be able on an iPad as well. And now I'm flying on that silly on screen keyboard.

And you're right, the keys themselves are bigger. It makes hitting it easier, and it looks nice in my opinion.

We'll get used to it, and then we won't want to have it any other way :)

4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I absolutely love it! One word comes to mind when I use it: precision.

5. motime macrumors 6502

You can get used to it but the sound is quite annoying.

6. Jaekae macrumors 6502

I love the typing, very fast and much less typos, but the clicky sound is a bit annoying sometimes

7. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I'll be honest with you all. I hated the keyboard at first because when I tried it at the local Apple store, I thought it was like typing on a ipad touch screen. I thought it was going to be a deal breaker but gave it a try anyways. I've been using it on my 12" Macbook for 2+ weeks now and I got used to it. Funny thing is, now I feel weird typing on my Magic keyboard... Do I love it? Well, i don't have any preference but I just want to point out that it is DEFINITELY possible to get used to it and feel comfortable with it

8. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

I love the precision, the solidity, and the crunchy noise.

9. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

I totally agree with the OP (nTB MBP for about a month)

10. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

I use a keyboard cover and it deadens the click clack very well. It's girls with nails that drive me more insane. I 's a girl with nails, I know, so I use the keyboard cover and I adapted to typing in such a way to prevent more noise. I type 189 words a minute, that can be really loud.

I also paid 5000+ CAD, but I paid for the much needed upgrade by selling my late 2013 maxed out rMBP for 2800USD just last week.
    Good luck.

11. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I just got my MBP and I am really satisfied with the keyboard. There is a very substantial feedback from pressing each key. And it's more similar to the Magic Keyboard on my iMac than I thought it would be.

12. creamz macrumors member

creamz

I agree. I too got terribly worried when I heard they adopted the Macbook flat keyboard. I remember how ugly it feels while typing. It is simply unacceptable until I went and tested it out myself. It simply incredible. I can't believe how my fingers are telling me how great it is. It also allows me to type faster and noticed how much more stable it is when I am typing. I thought it was hopeless because the 2nd gen Macbook have no noticeable improvements on the keyboard.

The MBP is definitely here to stay...

13. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I like it in terms of feel, feedback and accuracy, but it is on the loud side.

14. Seed101 macrumors 6502

Seed101

Everyone is different so I guess, for some people, it just takes awhile to get used to it.

I had a little go on it yesterday for the first time in an apple store and it did feel weird to me, I guess my 'muscle memory' jolted this feeling into being.

However, I'm not a keyboard intensive user, so it wouldn't be such a big issue for me.

15. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Hahahaha ... too good.

16. GoodOne macrumors regular

It's absolutely brilliant and much more precise than the old one. I absolutely love the new Keyboard and the old one feels just... well, old and outdated.

It will be lesson for me not to give in to the speculation and anxiety that builds up in Forums before a product Launch but to Keep calm and an open mind before actually trying the product.

17. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Reading about the clickiness I was concerned. Since using the new MBP I'm finding that it makes a rich sound. It naturally encourages me to tap lighter making the overall typing experience smoother. When typing lighter it's about as quiet as my old MBP. Perhaps lighter/smoother typing also mitigates rmi?

18. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I love the look and feel of the new keyboard on my 15". I use it at home so noise isn't an issue, although that doesn't bother me either. I can type faster on it with fewer errors.

19. Elcompa macrumors member

Elcompa

I love the feel of the keyboard on my 3 week old MBP Escape. I previously had a mid 2012 MPBr 15 inch. I swear I type faster and look down less (I have never been great at this). It is a confidence inspiring keyboard for me. I cant say I much like the click noise, although it is tolerable.

20. dlbmacfan macrumors regular

I'm pleasantly surprised by the new keyboard! No complaints at all.

21. Aspen82 macrumors newbie

The keyboard is great, nice feedback. The noise is different, but not really louder than many keyboards. (I admit that I did several comparisons).

This is my first Mac, so perhaps my standards are low;)

22. R3k macrumors 6502a

23. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

... different? I posted elsewhere that I am always more comfortable with a desktop keyboard. All laptop keyboards are worse to me. They are marginally worse though, and between laptop keyboards, nothing blows me away. This new one is definitely different, not better or worse yet. The keys are very solid, no sloppy play. And I do seem to type as quick or as quiet as I want to with it due to precise feedback. I appreciate the space savings, but feel wise, it's a wash right now. I can say that the freaking out about the keyboard was definitely overblown.

24. GBlansten macrumors regular

GBlansten

I love the new keyboard as well. I just upgraded from a 2012 MBA.

25. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I love it to. As I've posted elsewhere, I'm not just fanboying... I genuinely think this is one of the best keyboards I've ever used. I personally find it very comfortable and accurate. I'm only a fair typist, so perhaps that has something to do with it, but I'm more than satisfied.