Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'd start by looking at hardware since the diagnostic is usually pretty easy. It also could just be a corrupt install of Sierra, but at either rate, it's far from normal! It would drive me crazy if mine froze up frequently, or even at all.
Seems to be in line with Windows too. Upgrades are the worst you can do because something is always going to be messed up.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The startup chime is part of what makes the Mac unique. Apple is really losing it over these MacBook Pros if they think it should start up without a chime like an iPhone/iPad.

Reactions: Aldaris

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Seems to be in line with Windows too. Upgrades are the worst you can do because something is always going to be messed up.
For sure, I use a 15" XPS at work sometimes (usually my Mac Pro though) and the Last big win 10 upgrade messed it up a little. It was unstable but after a reinstall, it works great again.

The thing about Apple is their software will work best with their hardware. Windows software and the Dell XPS doesn't flow perfectly and I almost like the surface pro. The surface pro docks are terrible though.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
For sure, I use a 15" XPS at work sometimes (usually my Mac Pro though) and the Last big win 10 upgrade messed it up a little. It was unstable but after a reinstall, it works great again.

The thing about Apple is their software will work best with their hardware. Windows software and the Dell XPS doesn't flow perfectly and I almost like the surface pro. The surface pro docks are terrible though.
The problem is, is that the updates in Windows are an upgrade to the entire OS. Whereas they can remove and insert refactored code. I'm not sure how OSX does it, but I'm sure it's a combination of patches and removal/insertion of refactored code. Then again W10 is only a year old or a bit more at this point. Even W7 had its faults its first year.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Thanks for the laugh, OP. As for the chime, I like it but keep my volume on mute when I know I will be shutting down my iMac at night. There have been many times I've woken people up way too early when booting my machine back on, but
the BOOOOINNGGGGGG! is soothing in its own way.

Meicyn

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
The chime was iconic in the same way that each video game console in the past had its own respective chime or tune. That being said, can't say I'll miss it.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
To answer the other poster; no, mine is almost never shutoff. I just close it. Heck, even after several hours in my bag it only loses a bit of charge in 'standby mode'. I never shut my macs off, except the occasional restart as needed for updates.

Guess I better get in the habit of shutting down every night so I can be awoken to that glorious morning chime before my 2016 model arrives!

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
I miss moof

Dogcow_6.png

Reactions: 0x100

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
To answer the other poster; no, mine is almost never shutoff. I just close it. Heck, even after several hours in my bag it only loses a bit of charge in 'standby mode'. I never shut my macs off, except the occasional restart as needed for updates.

Guess I better get in the habit of shutting down every night so I can be awoken to that glorious morning chime before my 2016 model arrives!

"what order"

' I never shut my macs down, so i actually never hear it, but i will miss what i never hear anyway, and that is why i dont spend 3000$ , i am furious ! ' ...

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
As long as it starts up fast.

Boot up is faster than any computer and mobile device I ever owned and charges faster than any of them too.

JJayguy23

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
My 2015 rMBP with Sierra freezes every night, so I have to turn it off and back on. It's a feature, to make me appreciate the beautiful chime. Or to force me to buy a 2016 to stop appreciating the beautiful chime.

Adobe Flash made my computer freeze everyday. I disabled it in Safari, and lo and behold, my Mac runs much better. Now my external drives cause a lot of hangups.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I first upgraded to 10.12.0, then downloaded 10.12.1 upgrade (as Apple didn't put up a combined update at first). Computer freezes when in deep sleep. Downgraded back to 10.11.6, all was fine and well. But I'd really like to get the MBP to analyse all photos, so tried 10.12.1 again, freezing at night is back. (And Photos is stuck.) Definitely Sierra's fault. And I don't use Safari so I wouldn't suspect Flash there, it's disabled in Chrome as well.

It's got to do with deep sleep, as shorter sleep doesn't do it. Anyway, this is wildly off topic except for the fact I get to hear the chime daily :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.