That's it.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kis, Sep 7, 2008.

1. kis macrumors 65816

I just lost all of my data again for the third time in 2 weeks. Phone started to behave erratic this afternoon out of the blue. Didn't do anything, didn't install anything - nothing. Safari would crash every 10 minutes, applications would crash immediately every time I open them. I've been through that twice now - a restore helps for two weeks or so, then the problems start again out of the blue.

I tried to restore from backup - that worked, took almost 2 hours. After that, on the first sync, iTunes started to delete my applications and all application data although everything was supposed to sync right - I doubled-checked all the settings before I synced for the first time.

The bad thing is now that it deleted Netshare (and all other apps) both on the phone and in iTunes. The other apps I can re-install - netshare is gone.

This is it - I'm selling that piece of s**t tomorrow. I've been a real enthusiast - waited in line at 3 o'clock in the morning on Juli 11 - but I need a reliable phone for work and at home, and the iPhone 3G most definitely doesn't deliver that.

IMO this phone is the worst product Apple has ever released.

peter

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

ull sell tomorrow, but you wont wait until the 9th to see if they fix it with 2.1?

i realize youve been waiting since youve bought it, but THIS close to a potential fix ull give up?

i say wait a few days, then smash if its not everything you hoped it could be.

3. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

yep, ALoD for me today. So annoyed. I posted a little rant about it on Apple's Discussion board, and they removed it. Jerks.

I totally understand your frustration. But, I do believe it will be fixed in 2.1.

4. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I agree with NT - wait till Tuesday. Sucks you lost Netshare, but word is that's coming back. Email Apple to get a refund for the purchase.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agreed. I've only recently starting using Apple's products. The others (iPods, MacBook Air, Time Capsule, wife's iPhone) are fantastic. Each one made me want to buy more, so I did.

Then I made the mistake of buying the iPhone 3G, but I'm going to wait it out for the next firmware update. If it is still wonky after that, as the Magic 8 Ball would say (when it works), "The future is cloudy."

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

6. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll wait until after 2.1 has been released. will be using my old and crappy (but at least reliable) bb curve until then.

Trying to do some damage control right now - I have most of my data backed up on my computer at work but will have to retrace all the tasks I entered into Omnifocus over the weekend and manually re-enter all the Splash ID passwords (wouldn't sync anymore with the desktop version - trouble ticket has been going on for 2 weeks now :-(

peter

7. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I'm not too sure that 2.1 will get back the stability of the 1.0 series!
    All in all... I love my iPhone and the hardware! Since I trust Apple, I know their fixing things out there right now!

8. tucker101uk macrumors member

Thats optimistic - giving 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 were both supposed to "fix it"!!!

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

yes it is optimistic, and yes they were supposed to fix it, but honestly, if it was a month or two away from a firmware release and he was that unhappy id say screw it and dump it. This close however, i know hed be beating himself up IF it did fix it and he had already gotten rid of the phone

10. tucker101uk macrumors member

Fair Point! I agree tho - keep the "optimistic hat" on and at least wait another week to find out... As NT1440 says, you will kick yourself if it does get fixed.... Here's hoping!

11. synagence macrumors 6502a

2.1 is gonna be a make or break for many ... worth waiting till release until u make the call

12. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Did u consider that u could have a bad phone and that i could be unrelated to any software issues? I have none of the issues that you have been experiencing and I am fairly heavy user. I would take the thing into the store for a checkup, and if you don't do that, at least wait until tuesday to perhaps get 2.1 to ensure that update dosen't correct your issues.

Good luck....

13. cash4chaos macrumors member

cash4chaos

Iphone Sucks !!!

I went threw the same thing and ,I can relate to your frustration's Dropped calls during business calls and crashing apps. I love Apple macosx And my mac pro. I just received a Blackberry bold Not 1 problem !!!.

Apple needs to recall the iphone for faulty infineon chips !

14. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yeah, I think you're right. People are waiting until 2.1... but there's now way they'll wait any longer.

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I buy into bleeding edge technology I expect to have problems. Maybe coming from a Windows background has taught me that you can't have a piece of technology without problems. The problems you've listed don't really warrant returning the phone in my opinion, especially since the bulk of crashing applications has been acknowledged by Apple, which means they will be fixed in due course - probably with 2.1. By the way, from how you described them, I can almost guarantee your problems stem from your specific hardware, which means you should have your phone replaced.

As far as losing data, if you back up your data you won't lose it after a restore. Are you sure you're actually educating yourself on how to use your technology? I'm not trying to be overly critical, or to suggest you don't know what you're doing, but you've lost all your data three times now, and that seems like user error (or ignorance) more than anything. Even with faulty software, you should still be able to - one way or another - secure your data.

Losing NetShare was an inevitability. It broke Apple's TOS, and therefore would have been pulled one way or another - you probably would have lost it with the 2.1 update anyway. If you read the TOS, it clearly states Apple can pull whatever software it likes. That has less to do with the iPhone and more to do with Apple's policies, which are hardly fair or friendly in many cases. This is something you'll have to live with and get used to, because I can guarantee this won't be the last piece of software that is pulled from the App Store.

More generally, the tethering issue has been examined quite intensively, and it really boils down to AT&T's policies, so you can thank the cellular provider for your losing NetShare, since Apple is in partnership with AT&T, and thus must honor the former's tethering policies. I have heard rumors that Apple and AT&T are in talks about developing an official tethering solution as well. Perhaps patients and a bit of clear-headed thinking is in order.

Either way, good luck with your device and your decision.

16. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

17. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

The iPhone 3G is hardly bleeding edge technology though.

18. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I've had six iPhone 3Gs since July 11th, so take it from me, ALL of them have had these issues and more. It most definitely is not the hardware. If 2.1 isn't out soon to fix all of these problems, this sucker is going on eBay for $700. It amazes me that people will pay that much for it, but they will.

19. ski2moro macrumors 6502

I'm on my second iPhone. The first one kept crashing and I kept restoring. It was replaced after it got really hot and drained the battery in 1.5 hours.

I keep reassuring myself that Tuesday is coming, but I was NOT happy when my iPhone suddenly crashed again while I was traveling earlier this week. I couldn't even access Settings - all I got was a gray striped screen and it locked up. No music, no videos, no apps - and after a couple of hard resets, no phone except emergency. WTF?

How can you restore the data once it crashes? Yea, ok, I can restore contacts and apps - sometimes it takes two tries to restore to get it to work after a crash. My backup doesn't keep everything. I lose all settings, preferences, game scores and completed levels.

What am I doing wrong?

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Wrong! Not all of them have the problems that others are having. I have my first iPhone purchased on July 11. Not one single dropped call, no data loss, no lag, no 3G problems, no light leak. I then bought a second iPhone 30 days later.

Not one single dropped call, no data loss, no lag, no 3G problems, no light leak on this second iPhone either. Both are white.

I have had perfect calls everytime. I only had one dropped call when I unplugged the headset once during a call and that has not happened since.

Remember, not everyone is having problems and that hardly makes it the worst phone in history just bacause you say it is.

Start a thread today on how many people are not having problems and you will see a huge response.

21. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Okay... I GIVE UP! Please explain to me how many Apps you have installed and how come I've NEVER encountered any of these problems of Apple Logo of Death or even the iPhone freaking out on me. I think it's only randomly reboot twice when I had 2.0, but ever since then, the iPhone has been rock solid for me. I don't have Apps crash on me anymore, I don't have SMS lag (EVER!) and contacts don't really seem to give me problems. I'm NOT saying that you are lying or that you're not experiencing problems, but there's gotta be a reason why your iPhone isn't working as expected. Should I tell you what I have for settings?

1. Wifi is usually on
    2. I text message a total of about 4 people often, but I never clear my messages.
    3. I use Safari a lot and it doesn't usually crash on me... maybe ONCE in a while but, nothing major.
    4. The entire iPhone is pretty much filled with music and music videos... I only have 300MB remaining on my 16GB iPhone.
    5. Here's a list of the 3rd party apps I have currently installed. Please note that I do often download, install and try Apps out and if I don't like them, I delete them... no sense in having Apps that I don't use... it just wastes SpringBoard space and drive space.

Here's my AppStore apps.
    AIM
    Tuner
    Pandora
    Remote
    Sketches
    Things
    Send Contact (Never use it but, it looks pretty)
    WhitePages
    FaceBook (Never use this either... but, I like to check up on my girlfriend sometimes)
    Recorder
    Jaadu (I love this one)
    Where To (This one is convenient)
    MobileChat
    WordPress (Really handy for my blog)
    Web Feeds (I like this, but the developer has to update it before I use it)
    Movies (Love this one, but the icon sucks... why does it need the App name INSIDE the icon? Isn't the title right below it?)
    Mac Pro (This is a WebClip to my Mac Pro so I can browse and download files using iPhone Remote (a.k.a. Telekinesis)
    Tetris
    Bejeweled 2
    Crash Bandicoot Kart
    Cube Runner
    Othello
    reMovem (free)
    Matches

Those are all my Apps. I also use Mail a lot and iPod a lot. I have a ton more but, I uninstall anything I don't use. I've had Super Monkey Ball and Tap Tap Revenge and GTS Racing and stuff on here... but, they're not very fun. I also used to have Enigmo on here but, it was too boring for me. I'm not much of a gamer, but I'm a sucker for 3D graphics... I'm like...oooooh pretty... nah, boring. Anyways... those are my Apps and habits. I hope this brings some understanding of my iPhone.

By the way... Quick note... don't use Fortune Cookie by AOL... it crashes the iPhone A LOT and requires a hard boot most of the time. This annoyed me so I deleted it.

Also note: My iPhone is jailbroken too and I have OpenSSH installed.

22. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I'm not saying that it's the worst phone ever, just that in my experience, and many other peoples', the software that the phone is running is causing issues. I love the phone for what it is and what it does, but I can't have a cell phone that works when it wants to and needs to be wiped and restored every time something goes wrong.

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I'm not sure if you ever tried restoring the phone and then chosing the new iPhone option so that no old settings from the old backup are restored. There could have been some bug in the old backup causing these problems and they keep getting carried over to each phone you buy.

My iPhones have been very reliable. I know I can take photos on them and not have to rush home and download them to my computer in case the phone decides to crash, it won't. I also have allot of things stores in my Omni Focus and Things apps. I've been using those both now for nearly a month and have not lost anything in those apps ever.

The second phone I bought, I took it home and did a restore fresh out of the box and loaded up the new firmware since it came with the old. i didn't want to do an upgrade. I wanted it a fresh install of the latest firmware and I am still using that today.

24. ijason69 macrumors newbie

Ahhhh so you never owned a Powerbook 5300cs then?

25. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Funny how a lot of people with iPhone problems have jailbroken them.