Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
I don't want to be raped :(
That CCCP jersey is bad ass!!!

This is mine...

product_image.php

I like the red better, it is just the red that really sets it off. I also got to touch the cup! Whooo one life goal accomplished!

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I've touched it too. It was almost a religious experience. And I'm not a religious person. Especially experiencing it at the Hockey Hall of Fame- the room they keep it in is very temple-like.

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
I've touched it too. It was almost a religious experience. And I'm not a religious person. Especially experiencing it at the Hockey Hall of Fame- the room they keep it in is very temple-like.

I agree the building itself is impressive, but when you walk in to see the main lobby its just an amazing feeling.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Roberto Luongo was named captain of the Canucks today. Pretty unusual move- I guess they really really really want him to stay on after this season.

So, basically, he'll be able to act as a captain off the ice, but during the game he won't be able to perform most of the captain's duties (argue calls, skate over to the refs to protest, etc) because of the Durnan Rule.

A PR move I guess?

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
When the Stars won the cup, it came to San Antonio and we all went over to see it and touch it.
Brought me back to the days when the Bruins of the early 70s were winning the cup and I got to touch it then too.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
Roberto Luongo was named captain of the Canucks today. Pretty unusual move- I guess they really really really want him to stay on after this season.

So, basically, he'll be able to act as a captain off the ice, but during the game he won't be able to perform most of the captain's duties (argue calls, skate over to the refs to protest, etc) because of the Durnan Rule.

A PR move I guess?

That's a WTF moment right there. PR it looks great in practice, not so much.

The Islanders seem to have lost Andy Sutton and Chris Campoli to injury for the first couple of the season. The injuries are in part to the new system that Gordon put into place that emphasizes skating and moving of the legs. Go figure.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
They've made the new NHL.com site live. It sucks and is made with flash and chokes up my computer if I'm on battery because flash is so bad on macs. They also seem to have shoved the live scores and radio broadcasts into a flash-based page instead of little windows that allowed you to get away from the rest of the site. :mad:

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW

A PR move I guess?

Its hardly a PR move, Luongo just simply is the leader of the team, the guys look up to him....I imagine he's good in the room and well liked...and he leads by example. At first I thought it was a bit of a schtick but it actually makes sense in a way. From what Mitchell said, even w/ Nazzy as captain, from the moement Luongo showed up it was *his* team and he was the leader.

Now I know Durnan was the last goalie to wear a "C" and I know the rule and why it has to be there...but I'd be interested in hearing from you is there a story behind the Durnan rule? I can only imagine he got out of control and delayed the games. Love to hear it if you know it.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Its hardly a PR move, Luongo just simply is the leader of the team, the guys look up to him....I imagine he's good in the room and well liked...and he leads by example. At first I thought it was a bit of a schtick but it actually makes sense in a way. From what Mitchell said, even w/ Nazzy as captain, from the moement Luongo showed up it was *his* team and he was the leader.

Now I know Durnan was the last goalie to wear a "C" and I know the rule and why it has to be there...but I'd be interested in hearing from you is there a story behind the Durnan rule? I can only imagine he got out of control and delayed the games. Love to hear it if you know it.

Yes, he delayed many games by skating over to the officials to argue calls. The other teams cried foul, saying that he was just doing it as a way to get some unofficial time-outs to give his team some rest.

If he deserves it or not, I still think it's a PR move (a way to distract the fans from the lack of talent on the team) and also an interesting way of persuading Luongo to re-sign with Vancouver when his contract is up at the end of next season. Instead of giving him the team they need to win by finding the right players, make the goalie the captain.

Pretty classless of Mitchell to publicly say that about Nasland- maybe he should show his former captain a little more respect?

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
Predictions for this weekend's games??

For Tampa-Rangers...I see Tampa taking the first game, followed by a Rangers win on Sunday. As always, I refuse to predict my Pens (I tend to be biased and not think clear :p)

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Pretty classless of Mitchell to publicly say that about Nasland- maybe he should show his former captain a little more respect?

All depends, I think he meant that as a show of support for Luongo (considering many had *him* pegged as the next captain) rather than a shot at Naslund. It also came across as being honest. Naslund was a great guy, perhaps not the leader in the dressing room. I personally think being captain was too much weight on his shoulders. He'll do better in NY where all he's expected to do is score goals.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
All depends, I think he meant that as a show of support for Luongo (considering many had *him* pegged as the next captain) rather than a shot at Naslund. It also came across as being honest. Naslund was a great guy, perhaps not the leader in the dressing room. I personally think being captain was too much weight on his shoulders. He'll do better in NY where all he's expected to do is score goals.

Obviously it was meant as a show of support for Luongo, but there are ways of doing that without disrespecting Nasland. Whatever, who cares, it doesn't matter- it's the Canucks after all. :D:D;) I kid, I kid.

I do agree that Nasland will perform much better in NY where there is less expected of him.

On a side note...... I'm heading to Toronto tomorrow for the weekend! I'll be in the hockey center/centre of the universe for the first two Leafs games of the season. It will be great to see HNIC for Toronto-Montreal on Saturday night (but it will be sad to not hear the ex-HNIC theme song that CBC is no longer using:()

Go Leafs Go! Play just well enough to entertain and develop, but lose enough games to get the #1 pick next year.

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
So the games that count are already over with the results kind of surprising at least to me..

Pens 1-1-0 Senators 1-0-1
Rangers 2-0-0 Lightning 0-2-0

From what I heard the Rangers destroyed the Lightning in Prague, but I didn't get the games, and I am too lazy (read apathetic for either teams) to look up the game summaries.

The first pens game went very well in our favor with Tyler Kennedy scoring 2 goals, one of them the game winner with 25 seconds left in the OT, a very pleasant surprise to our team. Because he is a pretty young kid stepping up with Sykora injured (groin). Malkin scored as well as Scuderi which also is awesome because he hasn't scored in 97 games or something like that.

The second game against Ottawa was tough, for a while it was scoreless then Heatley got first blood all the way in the second. I believe a lot of the missed passes and other weird misses were due to the ice, being so weird and eroding so quickly. However Heatley scored twice giving him the lead in goals. Vermette also scored and it was looking like a shut out, However Goligoski scored with about 1 second left making sure it wasn't a "shut out."

Over all I still feel confident about the season, I mean we are missing a bunch of players due to injuries so our lines are a little off balance and it might take a while to get people where they need to be. With step ups like TK I think this is going to be a very good season for us!

Good luck everyone else.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
A Blues fan checking in...the Blues will be more talented than last year, but also might end up with a worse record. Chicago has gotten much better, and Detroit's additions will make them stronger, too, I think. Thank goodness we're playing less games in the division. :)

Game 1: Friday night. Can't wait.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
A Blues fan checking in...the Blues will be more talented than last year, but also might end up with a worse record. Chicago has gotten much better, and Detroit's additions will make them stronger, too, I think. Thank goodness we're playing less games in the division. :)

Game 1: Friday night. Can't wait.

The Blues are headed in the right direction. If the Leafs stick to the plan, we'll be you like guys in a year or so. It's been a painful number of seasons in St. Louis, eh?

The Leafs and the Blues are playing on Monday. I hope you guys take those 2 points from us..... do it for the good old days in the Norris Division :D

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
The Blues are headed in the right direction. If the Leafs stick to the plan, we'll be you like guys in a year or so. It's been a painful number of seasons in St. Louis, eh?

The Leafs and the Blues are playing on Monday. I hope you guys take those 2 points from us..... do it for the good old days in the Norris Division :D

What do the Leafs have for good young talent?
Looks like Schenn will stick this year but I'm not familiar w/ their prospects. Might be a good idea to deal Kaberle & Blake, blow the whole thing up and load up on prospects...I'd hazard a guess that Fletcher already has his sights set on Tavares...gonna be a long season.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
The Flyers lost to their AHL affiliate the Phantoms last night in the final game ever at the Spectrum.

The regular season "starts" tonight and we got four games on tap.

Toronto v Detroit, 7:00
Boston v Colorado, 10:00
Calgary v Vancouver, 10:30
Anaheim v San Jose, 10:30

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Priceless typo on TSN today:

tsn.ca said:
One year ago, the Chicago Blackhawks were a struggling franchise with the second lowest attendance figures in the entire National Hockey League, averaging less than 13,00 fans. And with little to no exposure on television is recent years, the fanbase was eroding.

:D

I like how my Rangers looked in their opener, and I've got Crosby on my fantasy team, I'm sitting pretty. :)

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
Priceless typo on TSN today:

:D

I like how my Rangers looked in their opener, and I've got Crosby on my fantasy team, I'm sitting pretty. :)

The quote was hilarious!

DAMMIT I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING, I didn't join a Fantasy league this year!! Why don't we have one for Macrumors group, so we have something else to fight talk about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.