The 13.3" resolution SUCKS.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pismodude2, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

So, being the high-minded individuals we are, and respecting that someone might be wanting to keep a 13" computer, just have a higher resolution on it than Apple offers (blasphemy! Gaspeth!), let us now create a list of locations on the internet where higher resolution replacements are available.

I will start:

http://www.screentekinc.com/Apple_MacBook_Pro--13.3-inch--1440x900-wxgaplus-laptop-lcd-screen.shtml

The preference is for the highest possible, so if you find a WQUXGA option, you go right ahead and post it. Highest resolution at the lowest price wins... my gratitude, and that of everyone who references this thread should it produce any results. Thank you! :)

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

But will OSX recognize the new High res display, and allow you to have a higher resolution? Provided removing the old LCD panel and poping in the HR one, thats easier, but if OSX will only allow 1280 x 800, it won't look too good on a display with a higher res.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't see how it would be a problem. A user was able to swap out his LCD on their pre-unibody MacBook Pro for larger resolution (forgot what it was) and it worked. If the GPU allows it (which it does), I would see no problem.

4. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

People on the 15.4" MacBook Pros have managed to up it all the way to 1920x1200 from what I've heard. Their only issue is that OSX doesn't always allow them to lower the resolution, but that's hardly a problem (who doesn't run at full res these days? Honestly.)

Unless the connection for the screen is limited/similar to VGA (highly unlikely), higher resolutions should be no problem. Apple has to prepare for their Retina Display support in OS XI, after all :p

5. mmdc macrumors newbie

I would consider this only if my current LCD somehow cracked or stopped working.

It would be great if there was an option to order a higher resolution screen (1440x900 or 1680x1050) when ordering our 13.3" MBPs in the first place.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think its fine the way it is.
    My old 15.4" dell has a 1280x800 resolution ... and now that sucks (at least compared to my MBP) or am I just a bit off with current expectations of laptops? (seriously. last time I bought a laptop was back in 07')

7. crypticlineage macrumors regular

I had a custom resolution screen on my dell inspiron 15.4" that did 1440x900. The screen on MBP is more than 2 inches smaller than that display. I have found the native resolution more than enough for my purposes and my work involves having multiple scientific data analysis softwares open and large spreadsheets (more than 5K columns).

What is it that you want a higher resolution for? In firefox, you can decrease font size and accommodate more on screen if you want.

:confused:

8. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

I'm trying to wrap my mind around a 13" screen with a 1680x1050 res. It seems illogical to me.

The whole idea of higher res is more real estate and room on the screen. So...why would you try to squeeze that into a smaller screen instead of just going to the 15"?

It's like people who buy the Altima S and then buy all of the components that make it an SL after the fact. I'll never understand that. Why not just buy the one that has what you want??

9. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

I'm with you.

The original poster has issues with resolution that I frankly don't have.
    If I did, I wouldn't have bought the 13 to begin with.

10. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Here at home we have two MBP's. Mine and my sister's '09 15". Of course sometimes I do miss the possibility of having a lot of windows open side by side as I can do on her 15", but for 99% of the time the 13" screen is all I need. And I totally agree with the above poster. She only bought the 15" because she needes the extra real estate, whereas I don't.

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, that high of res would hurt on a 13" screen. I saw 1920x1200 on a 15" screen, and that was extremely difficult to even look at. 1440x900 would be doable, but seriously, is it necessary? There are just some trade-offs with a computer in this small of a form factor, and I am ok with that. The 13" is enough for what I need most of the time, and when I want more space, I have a 20" monitor to plug into.

What SUCKS is 16:9 aspect ratios that they are making every other new monitor and laptop. Far less useable for a computer's purposes, unless you are gaming

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I get what you're saying but it comes down to preference and this is where Apple "tries" their best to accommodate but they're lacking in terms of choices with their computers. I'm sure a lot of people would love to have that resolution even if it's on a small 13.3-inch screen, it's still better than the 1280x800 (if you're sight is not bad). It's more of a plus if you can go down in resolution.

Why buy a BMW 3-Series coupe and then getting the M package to make it look like a M3. They like the styling of the M3 but don't like the price tag and gas consumption. Some people like the higher resolution of the 15-inch or 17-inch but like the small 13-inch form factor.

13. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

thanks, i ordered one....i will give this a go,

looks really promising :D

1440x900 would be awsome!

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Definitely post back your results. If everything runs smoothly, a 13-inch MacBook Pro could possibly be my next computer.

15. brianfast macrumors regular

Yeah the resolution should be slightly higher on the 13 inch macbook - but it isn't going to deal breaker for most people.

16. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

The display on the 13" MBP is 'incredible'.

Best of any display I've seen on any 13" notebook.

2010 Sony Z 11 and 12's included.

13" MBP display - clear, bright, photo's video's look great, text easy to read, it is a VERY good panel.

Sony Z - horrible viewing angles, dark area's, grainy, dull with a sheen to it. Tired, dry eyes after just a few hours use.

It's not all about resolution, don't let anyone fool you.

17. SmackP macrumors member

Where did you hear this? and where can you get such screens?

BTW: 1280x800 resolution does indeed SUCK, is the first link the only alternative for a screen replacement?

18. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I'm with you man, I own a June 2009 13" MBP and the screen resolution is great.

19. vant macrumors 65816

When they offered high res on the 15s, people were complaining it was too much. You seriously can't please everyone.

20. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Dude 1440x900...is like the best on a 13.3" screen. It is the one thing I miss the most from my thinkpad x301. Looking at the macbook screen drives me crazy after using the higher res. Makes the macbook appear like a toy.

21. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

The current 15" MBP's WSXGA option is well regarded; I don't really hear any complaints about it.

22. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

What I meant was the 13.3".. not the 15". I LOVE my high res 15".

23. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

I didn't mean to quote you. That post was aimed at the one above yours.

24. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

25. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

10+ ............................ :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.