Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Love live the 17" MBP! Best desktop replacement on the market.

I REALLY hope :apple: doesn't kill it off, because I don't want to use Windows 7 full time ...

CarcinogenX

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Orange County, CA
I too first had a 15" MBP and moved up to the 17". I don't get why people don't think it is portable? I carry mine in a backpack because it is the most convenient way to carry any laptop. Size and weight wise it is barely noticeable but just wait till you compare the screen, it is like night and day going from a 15" to a 17". If you moved up from a 13" you might have a heart attack. Now that I own one I can never go back to anything smaller.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Who revived this thread? I own the 13 and love it. I also had a 17 and was not a big machine to lug around. Gave it to my marketing manager. I lug around a ipad, macbook pro 13, documents etc. I travel alot and the 13 is much better on a plane.

The 13 is the best selling MBP by far. Out sells both the 15 and 17 combined. Most people hook their Mbp to a monitor when they have to do some real work, and the 13 is more than up just about any task you can throw at it.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I don't get why people don't think it is portable? I carry mine in a backpack...

Letting the above statement stand on its own. The image just speaks for itself. :)

Now that I own one I can never go back to anything smaller.
Take care of it and hope it lasts. Odds are you'll never get another if/when Apple discontinues it.

Never understood the 17" behemoth myself. Other than the few serious pros that need something like this in the field, a smaller machine plus an external monitor gives you the best of both worlds.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Letting the above statement stand on its own. The image just speaks for itself. :)

Take care of it and hope it lasts. Odds are you'll never get another if/when Apple discontinues it.

Never understood the 17" behemoth myself. Other than the few serious pros that need something like this in the field, a smaller machine plus an external monitor gives you the best of both worlds.

Yeah same here. I just plug in my machine to a monitor and lay the monitor on the bed next to me hoping it balances.

Or maybe I'm being ultra sarcastic...

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Yeah same here. I just plug in my machine to a monitor and lay the monitor on the bed next to me hoping it balances.

AppleTV + Airplay from your mac in a few months. (or now if you can get a copy of Mountain Lion).

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
AppleTV + Airplay from your mac in a few months. (or now if you can get a copy of Mountain Lion).

You realize part of the benefit of pluging in an external monitor is also dual screen capability.

For example if I am using Logic Pro, I have the timeline on one window, and the mixer and piano roll on another.

So then the 13 inch tiny screen would be a limitation when I could just have a 17 for about the same over all thinness and general size. The Piano roll is way huger. Or like me, I use the 17 screen for the timeline, and project the mixer onto my wall in HD.

If you are in bed or on a couch, or anywhere where you are not plugged in. Or even when you are plugged in, the resolution and desktop space is immensely superior and useful.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I've own 12, 13, 15 and 17inch laptops, and I will never own anything bigger than 13 again, unless I plan at using it only at my house.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Wait, I thought Apple products attracted thieves and bad elements, you're still buying them without a federal agency to track it down for you and numerous consumer warnings about the likelihood of theft if you buy anything from Apple?

CarcinogenX

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Orange County, CA

Haha....when I had the 15" it was in a backpack and the same would be true if I had a 13". I'm not a briefcase or shoulder bag thingy type person. Even sans my MBP I keep a lot of work/crap in my backpack and I was pointing out that it's just as easy to carry around as anything else. It's just a difference of a couple inches and a pound or so, not like if you have a 17" you have to wheel it around on a heavy duty cart with a wide load sign.

I'm about to hit the big four oh, and my eyes appreciate my purchase.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I'm about to hit the big four oh, and my eyes appreciate my purchase.

But the 17" are higher resolution in proportion to the 13". The 17" is 1920x1200. The 13" is 1280x800.

The 17" has 2,304,000 pixels.

The 13" has 1,024,000 pixels.

That means that the 17" has 132 pixels per square inch.

And the 13" has 113 pixels per square inch.

So technically, things are easier to see on the 13" MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.