The 2010 MBP's Steam for Mac Performance Thread (+ Why CSS won't come soon)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmbrown09, May 12, 2010.

1. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

The Following Thread should cover the following.

Performance of the new MBP's as they take on the slew of new games being presented (VALVe has said they will release new games each Wednesday, so keep looking for your Css' and L4D's)

Link to Download Steam Client:
    http://store.steampowered.com/

Counter Strike Source will not be here all that soon so don't get your hopes up, they are redeveloping it, to run on a new engine. No point in porting the old engine when they will just have to do it again. Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/260

Personally on my 2.53 i5 15", I ran Portal on 1440x900 native, Maximum settings, without any AA, and AF at 4x

FPS seemed to be weird in this game, when there were no Portals around, I would pull 60 almost all the time, but make a couple, and I could drop all the way to 30.

If I made Portals but didn't look at them, back up to 60's.
    Update: Steam put out an update a couple hours back, and I don't know if it's just me but I get 60 FPS almost all the time now, max settings (no AA)
    Here is a screen from my preliminary game play.

Want to know your FPS in game?
    1. Bring up options (esc) and go to keyboard, and then advanced, make sure developer console is enabled.
    2. hit the ~ key and bring up the console
    3. type (no quotes) "net_graph 1"

This is the load on my i5 MBP
    [​IMG]

Steam has been getting plenty of updates so don't be surprised if you see this alot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    58FPS
    [​IMG]

2. Tegeril macrumors member

It'd be entertaining to see if the games will even launch on Intel graphics and if so, how silly it is :)

3. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I'm hoping that Steam will influence Apple to release some updated GPU drivers ASAP

and get 10.6.4 out the door

4. Nano2k macrumors regular

Well considering that people play Portal on 300$ netbooks with Atom processors... of course the OS is not the same and neither are the graphic drivers...

5. lordofuo macrumors regular

This is going to be awesome.

By the way, I'm not familiar with Steam, or how it is maintained. I'm at the house, so the internet is way too slow to get it until I go up to the College tomorrow, but will "Portal" be completely free?

In other words, once I download the game, will it be freely accessible from then on? Or will it not allow me to play it anymore when May 24 comes up?

Just wondering. I only have the 320M machine, so gaming is not my thing (when it comes to my Macs. Check my sig for my gaming machine), but it's still kind of exciting. :D

Alex :apple:

6. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Not exactly sure, it might just be till then, or forever, idk

7. booste macrumors member

booste

Playing on my New 13" MBP and constantly getting 30fps all the time... so far, but I did just start playing.

EDIT: I actually get as low as 20 fps when looking into a portal

8. Tegeril macrumors member

Those netbooks are most certainly not running 1440x900, and definitely not 1680x1050 or 1920x1200...

9. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

that's for sure, netbooks make me cringe in general.

10. shadygrove macrumors regular

Man someone should have warned me portal was 5gigs.

Sadly my machine doesn't have that much space to loose for a game... I guess that's the biggest draw back to my SSD.

11. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

The Steam Browser needs some work.. its extremely choppy and makes looking for games a pain in the &#$.. still waiting on the games to finish downloading.

12. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

I am hoping that the choppiness of the client is due to the fact that a lot of Mac people are hammering the servers today. It can only get better over time.

I don't have the exact fps numbers but Portal works beautifully on my i7, hi-res display at native res. - all settings maxed and 2x aa. Can't wait to try other games.

Also,
    the Steam client itself doesn't seem to be triggering the discrete gpu, which is good.

13. lordofuo macrumors regular

Ugh.

I'll probably still grab it just because. Wouldn't hurt.

14. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

You know what this means now? A virus will make Macs just like windows but worse..without protection.

15. lordofuo macrumors regular

Say wha? :confused:

16. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Just to remind you al, Portal is only free until May 24th so grab it NOW! I played the first 5 or so levels, no idea of the FPS and haven't changed any graphics settings but it plays fine. Steam at last on the Mac plus the new Crossover launched today.

17. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Just installed Steam, but everytime I try to download Portal, Steam crashes. Anyone with the same problem?

18. MikhailT macrumors 601

Guys, if you're running Portal and don't like the blurry-ish look, turn off the color correction in the advanced video settings. It'll make it look better.

19. wandrer2 macrumors member

On my hi-res 15" screen I seem to be getting 30 fps normally, dropping to 20ish when looking into a portal.

The thing is running in native resolution (the default when you start the game is quite a bit lower).

20. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Lots of netbooks can easily push pixels on larger displays. Netbooks running 9400m graphics can play Portal (and other source engine games) as well as or better than most macbooks can in OSX.

The OpenGL engine isn't great, and Apple's driver (or Kext or whatever) support and general graphics APIs are crap. I will be using steam on my mac, but it will be on the windows Bootcamp side.

21. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

I'm getting a nasty error when trying to shut down Steam.. keeps saying I need to close an open application after I have exited the game.

22. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Portal is the most nauseating game I have ever played. Does it affect anyone else in the same way?

23. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

[​IMG]

24. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

25. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

don't know if I am spoiled my more recent games but portal looked like garbage on my iMac.