Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
What with "Arry being such an adept wheeler-dealer, one would have to assume he'll sort things out somehow...

EDIT: Liverpool are currently said by some papers to be bidding £20m for Sunderland's England U21 Jordan Henderson. That sounds like a lot of money for a young prospect...we paid around that much for both Fernando Torres and Luis Suarez, both proven (if still young) players at the time of signing. Plus, I can't think that Liverpool are going to be making a habit of £20m signings. Dalglish and Comolli must rate him pretty highly if the rumors are true.

I do like the fact that we are buying younger players though.

Last edited:

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Fulham have just appointed Martin Jol as their new manager. He was the first choice last year, but couldn't get out of his contract with Ajax. A fine choice.

Link

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
^
Is he a good manager?

In other never-ending transfer rumours; Romanski is thought to be prepping for a bid of up to 60m for Fabregas because he's apparently identified him as the ideal link to Torres from midfield.

Nasri also seems to be looking over the fence for possible greener pastures. A Nasri & Fabregas loss from midfield would be quite significant.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Am I right in thinking that both Nasri and Fabregas are out of contract next summer?

Fabregas' long-term contract has been Wenger's trump card over the past few summers as Barcelona have sniffed around, but if there's a risk of him leaving on a free Arsenal would be best served getting as good a price on him as they can and reinvesting the money in another player or two.

Last edited:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Am I right in thinking that both Nasri and Fabregas are out of contract next summer?

Fabregas' long-term contract has been Wenger's trump card over the past few summers as Barcelona have sniffed around, but if there's a risk of him leaving on a free Arsenal would be best served getting as good a price on him as they can and reinvesting the money in another player or two.

I thought Fabregas was signed up until 2015?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Barcelona-baulk-at-paying-50-million-fee.html

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Fulham have just appointed Martin Jol as their new manager. He was the first choice last year, but couldn't get out of his contract with Ajax. A fine choice.

Link

^
Is he a good manager?...

I should of clarified that I think it's a good choice for Fulham. Is Jol a great manager? No, not really, but I think he can keep Fulham in the top half of the table and occasionally fight for a Europa Cup place.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I thought Fabregas was signed up until 2015?

I stand corrected...only Nasri then.
Ah... I'd thought I'd read over the weekend that Fabregas also was out of contract at the end of next season, but the article was also discussing Nasri and I probably just got my wires crossed. I had thought Fabregas was contracted beyond next summer so I thought it a bit odd...

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Ah... I'd thought I'd read over the weekend that Fabregas also was out of contract at the end of next season, but the article was also discussing Nasri and I probably just got my wires crossed. I had thought Fabregas was contracted beyond next summer so I thought it a bit odd...

Yeah, just Nasri. Who appears to currently be holding the club to ransom wanting higher wages...

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Meanwhile, in the USA, actual football is being played. Columbus have a busy week - after drawing with New York on Saturday, the Crew host Real Salt Lake tomorrow night at home. They knocked us out of the playoffs in 2009, and this year they knocked us out of the CONCACAF Champions League, so I'm looking for a little revenge.

*Hilarious/embarrassing sidenote: as some of you may know, Salt Lake City is the heaquarters of the Mormon faith in the US, and having been there I can tell you that Mormonism has a heavy influence on the city in many ways. To get to the point, Columbus' front office, in their eternal wisdom, has designated tonight's match against Salt Lake as "Mormon Night", with discounted tickets and Mormon-themed halftime entertainment.

I'm sorry, but I have to emit a small rant here: What the flying **** were they thinking?!?!?

There are worries that one or two drunken idiots might taunt Real Salt Lake with chants involving Mormon jibes, so it has the potential to be an unmitigated disaster (none of the RSL players are Mormon as far as I know, so the only people being insulted will be other Columbus residents).

I'm going to leave work a tad early to catch the USA v Canada Gold Cup match, probably won't be a classic but I'm already starved for some football.

^
Is he a good manager?

He's better than Big Sam. A solid choice in my opinion.

In other never-ending transfer rumours; Romanski is thought to be prepping for a bid of up to 60m for Fabregas because he's apparently identified him as the ideal link to Torres from midfield.

I find it hard to believe, those are crazy numbers. But if there is any truth to it Arsenal should stick Cesc on a bus to Stamford Bridge posthaste. No player is really worth that much money, and if you are offered it you take it. With 60 million you can buy any player in the world except Messi or Ronaldo.

Yeah, just Nasri. Who appears to currently be holding the club to ransom wanting higher wages...

Losing both Cesc and Nasri at once would be a big deal. I wonder who, if anyone, Arsene sees as potential replacements in a worst case scenario where they both go.

Last edited:

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
USA 2-0 Canada. The pitch at Ford Field was new grass laid over artificial turf and it was absolutely horrible: very slow and it fell apart over the course of the match.

Good result for the USA, but we took our foot off the gas at times and let Canada back into the match when we should have been more focused. Too many giveaways. Jozy Altidore got a goal (keeper error really, but he put a solid shot on frame and that's what counts) , Clint Dempsey got the second on an Altidore cross. Timmy Howard made two of his usual world-class saves to keep the clean sheet for USA.

We need to play better than this if we are going to beat Mexico though, but it was a decent response after the loss to Spain.

But more on that story later...

Can't wait.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Cripes. City might just be about to embark on a PR own goal themselves, if some rumours are to be believed.

But more on that story later...

Cash Converters? :eek:

0,,10338~9725217,00.jpg

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Cash Converters? :eek:

It's kind of a silly name, I'll grant that, but the logo is relatively unobtrusive, and matches the shirt colors. I came across this on a Hull City forum:

I saw [Nigel Pearson] going into Cash Converters yesterday. He had 2 forms of ID with him and Jimmy Bullard in a bag. He came out without the bag ,just hope we dont have to buy JB back within 28 days:D

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.