Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida

Attachments

• c27b1b1b286b00ed8cfca752485b0f189e9448187b4f52183d66aaf12df46701.jpg
    c27b1b1b286b00ed8cfca752485b0f189e9448187b4f52183d66aaf12df46701.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 49

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Both teams were unconvincing defensively, but Arsenal won the midfield battle (Ox and Coquelin) which proved the difference in the end. When your GK keeps getting MOTM for large parts of the season you know something is wrong.

Oliver was ok. Wasn't perfect, some dodgy decisions. United players helped him really.

At the very least the game was markedly better than the previous borefests we've had to endure over the weekend.

Doesn't get easier for both teams. Spurs at home for Utd and West Ham at the Emirates for Arsenal. Both can't afford to draw let alone lose.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
How did they help him? How did Monreal, Bellerin, Ramsey, Welbeck, and Sanchez fail to help him?

---

Centaurr; you didn't wait for the punch line - the fee and wages.

Cheers,
OW

Ramsey got booked quickly if i recall. Bellerin also got booked quickly but was yanked off before tipping point. The rest i don't recall which probably means they were 50/50s that you can get away with...or negligible

Januzaj's dive was quite blatant making it easy for Oliver, and Di Maria...well don't touch the ref when you're on a yellow. Hands behind your back and no expletives or else you're asking for trouble.

People say Hart got away with it. But its because he (Hart) got away with it that Oliver was sensitive to the incident and sent Di Maria off.

Last edited:

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Dortmund started a campaign against racism.

They will be delivering 1 million beer mats (i.e. coasters) to bars in the Dortmund area with "No beer for racists - football, beer, open-mindedness" on it. There is also a QR-code, that leads one to a page presenting several typical racist "arguments"/claims with explanations why they're not true.

Could get a collector's item... maybe.

Also, I lately discovered, that they show MLS games in the night (and also the FA-cup) on Eurosport. David Villa plays in the US, didn't know that.
It was Orlando vs NYC and Kansas vs NY. I found Orlando vs NYC a bit "slowish" (say I who watches women football :D ).

PS: not football, but (slightly) interesting to read "You didn't invent that: Jane Austen and Baseball" http://blog.dictionary.com/baseball-jane-austen/

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Ramsey got booked quickly if i recall. Bellerin also got booked quickly but was yanked off before tipping point. The rest i don't recall which probably means they were 50/50s that you can get away with...or negligible

Januzaj's dive was quite blatant making it easy for Oliver, and Di Maria...well don't touch the ref when you're on a yellow. Hands behind your back and no expletives or else you're asking for trouble.

People say Hart got away with it. But its because he (Hart) got away with it that Oliver was sensitive to the incident and sent Di Maria off.

Welbeck dived trying to win a penalty - no card, Sanchez dived and was rewarded with a free kick on the edge of the box, Ramsey or Monreal brought down Di Maria from behind just outside the penalty area - nothing doing, Monreal's handball - another yellow not given, Bellerin on a yellow commits 2 bad tackles and stays on the pitch. No problem with the Manchester United punishments, the trouble is 6(7) cards to 2 is BS.

Cheers,
OW

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Edit - JamesMike - Giggs and LVG; who says they don't get along?

I agree that this is mostly newspaper nonsense.

Silencio - manager - what realistic target do you want?

Guardiola (hasn't signed an extension with Bayern, might be ready for an actual challenge). Simeone. Even perhaps Ancelotti. I'd still strongly consider Klopp even though his reputation has taken a beating with BvB's poor showing in the Bundesliga this season.

It's fourth in the league or bust, and a lot more buying and selling this summer.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It's fourth in the league or bust

That seems to be the conventional wisdom, but given the amount of TV money that the Premier League is getting now, coupled with the fact that winning the Europa League will get you into the Champions league, I'm not sure I agree anymore.

With that being said, Man Utd suits and fans all seem to be demanding CL qualification as a condition of continued employment. In terms of results he's about where Moyes was last season, and he has had the additional luxury of 1) not immediately succeeding Ferguson and 2) spending a huge amount of money on big-time players. If Man Utd fails to finish fourth he will take the blame. Still not sure of that will mean a sacking though. His reputation might save him for another season.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
That seems to be the conventional wisdom, but given the amount of TV money that the Premier League is getting now, coupled with the fact that winning the Europa League will get you into the Champions league, I'm not sure I agree anymore.

With that being said, Man Utd suits and fans all seem to be demanding CL qualification as a condition of continued employment. In terms of results he's about where Moyes was last season, and he has had the additional luxury of 1) not immediately succeeding Ferguson and 2) spending a huge amount of money on big-time players. If Man Utd fails to finish fourth he will take the blame. Still not sure of that will mean a sacking though. His reputation might save him for another season.

in your opinion, whats the reason for man utd under performing? weak mid? or are they just not top 4 good?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
in your opinion, whats the reason for man utd under performing? weak mid? or are they just not top 4 good?

I would sum it up as Post-Ferguson withdrawal symptoms. Rebuilding can be a long process with numerous lows and false dawns. Just ask any Liverpool fan.

I can't see how this is anything other than a slap in the face for Falcao.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
I don't know who they are and what they have done to the real Schalke players but the guys in the blue dresses are playing magnificent against Real Madrid.

I suspect some freak accident happened to the plane and this is the Schalke squad from the parallel "opposite" universe.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Welbeck dived trying to win a penalty - no card, Sanchez dived and was rewarded with a free kick on the edge of the box, Ramsey or Monreal brought down Di Maria from behind just outside the penalty area - nothing doing, Monreal's handball - another yellow not given, Bellerin on a yellow commits 2 bad tackles and stays on the pitch. No problem with the Manchester United punishments, the trouble is 6(7) cards to 2 is BS.

Cheers,
OW

£25k fine coming your way btw.

Refusal to be patient with Moyes and play for him, then LvG getting players to play in a system (or position) they've never been accustomed to. Being a totalitarian dictator also compounds it.

Also yea, incomplete team and dearth in quality. Only Rooney and De Gea would walk into any of the top 3 teams in the EPL. For every other position, the top 3 have more effective players (when those players turn up).

I can't see how this is anything other than a slap in the face for Falcao.

Its similar to the Pogba saga all over again.

I don't know who they are and what they have done to the real Schalke players but the guys in the blue dresses are playing magnificent against Real Madrid.

I suspect some freak accident happened to the plane and this is the Schalke squad from the parallel "opposite" universe.

5-4 now. Need only 1 more goal. Alas wasn't meant to be.

Last edited:

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida

Like i said before, this is NO surprise. van gaal has a personal issue with falcao, no biggie...if man u doesnt buy him by the summer, there are other top teams that are intrested in him according to Mendes and the owner of Monaco. the teams that are linked to him, up to now are: valencia, liverpool, psg, juventus, thats 4 different leagues. on the bright side, he is still getting paid $265,000 per week :D dying for falcao to leave man u so he can go to a team that will appreciate him, lets see how the drama unfolds...

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off

Real Madrid have a defense that would bring shame on Sunderland or QPR. Incredibly leaky against any team with even a hint of attacking ability. But they have so much offensive firepower themselves they usually get away with it.

Atleti have made them look like mugs several times this season - I would be surprised if they win the CL given their defensive weaknesses.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Real Madrid have a defense that would bring shame on Sunderland or QPR. Incredibly leaky against any team with even a hint of attacking ability. But they have so much offensive firepower themselves they usually get away with it.

Atleti have made them look like mugs several times this season - I would be surprised if they win the CL given their defensive weaknesses.
The Clasico is fast approaching, and if Real keep playing like this, Barcelona will defeat them easily. With Barcelona taking control of the title race and a CL win looking increasingly unlikely, a trophyless season would most likely result in Ancelotti getting sacked.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010

I am not sure, if I am biased, but I would have loved to see them proceeding to the next round and think they would have deserved it. The icing on the cake would have been a goal by Höwedes. :) (I followed it on the radio and even there it was exciting).

Somehow I had to think about Tuchel and how he would have managed a match against Real, if he had gotten the job at Schalke, when he wanted to get coach there.

As rumored by Süddeutsche Zeitung, Bild and Focus.de Tuchel and Guardiola had met twice and were seen discussing tactics with several glasses representing players in a bar.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Food for thought - had Man Utd asked Mourinho to be their manager he would have jumped at the chance and they would probably be challenging for a league title right now - at minimum they would be comfortably ensconced in a CL spot. Moreover, whatever you say about Mou's playing style (and I hate it) and his personality (repugnant), is LVG really that much better in those two areas, on current evidence?

...a trophyless season would most likely result in Ancelotti getting sacked.

I suspect he'll go no matter what happens. There have been rumblings of dissatisfaction from the board, and Real are known to fire managers for opaque political or personal reasons - even when they win.

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Silencio - Manager - scratch Ancelotti after last night. :) If he comes to England, it is easy to see Pep at Arsenal; year off, take over from Wenger in 2017, London, the whole 'English Barcelona' malarkey. Happy to stick with LVG to see how he does in the first half of next season; add a calm, ball playing CB, a RB - Rafael played well yesterday but is out of favour and injury prone - and add a bit more steel to the midfield. I think then LVG will play a more attacking game; the Leicester City match seems to have knocked his confidence in the defensive side of the team. It happened with Ferguson; a poor defensive patch would see him become more cautious until he was happy they had a good foundation.

£25k fine coming your way btw.

Refusal to be patient with Moyes and play for him, then LvG getting players to play in a system (or position) they've never been accustomed to. Being a totalitarian dictator also compounds it.

Also yea, incomplete team and dearth in quality. Only Rooney and De Gea would walk into any of the top 3 teams in the EPL. For every other position, the top 3 have more effective players (when those players turn up).

Its similar to the Pogba saga all over again.

Fine; speech, human rights, and all that. Wonder whether there is a good case to challenge the restriction?

Moyes wasn't up to it, he was overwhelmed. Dithering Dave was a name I heard from family friends who support Everton and saw on forums; take too long over substitutions and transfers. When the pressure was on, it surfaced. He was depressing in interviews - pre and post match. The defend like Jagielka nonsense. I cracked after the Fulham game. There was no light at the end of the tunnel. You can be patient in bad times when you can see something down the line. At the moment, I can. The return of late goals is a light. With the transfers mentioned above, they will move the ball faster and will have a season learning about possession behind them.

Top 3 teams - could say that about a lot of players, other than:

Chelsea; Matic, Hazard - Ivanovic for his attacking?

Manchester City; Silva and Aguero.

Arsenal; Sanchez.

Pogba/Falcao:

A young player and an agent who wanted to move at a faster rate than the old manager who was wary of too much, too soon.

A world star trying to recover from a very bad injury. The U21s a chance to gain some fitness, sharpness, and goals. He huffed and puffed. He is at least a yard off; when he did make space, he couldn't get away. It is sad to see.

Cox Orange - radio - the heart runs a little faster.:)

Lord Blackadder; as mentioned above, if LVG is there next season, I think they will be more attacking.

Cheers,
OW

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Silencio - Manager - scratch Ancelotti after last night. :) If he comes to England, it is easy to see Pep at Arsenal; year off, take over from Wenger in 2017, London, the whole 'English Barcelona' malarkey.

In terms of style, Pep is a good fit for Arsenal. However, the Gunners run a much tighter ship financially and their academy does not produce the kind of talent Barca's does (few do). His adjustment to England's extraordinarily invasive and incessant press coverage (even compared with that in Spain) would also be a major question. He's one of the most attractive candidates to succeed Wenger though. I'd love to see him beat up Mou some more.

Moyes wasn't up to it, he was overwhelmed.

I don't disagree with your assessment. that, however, begs the question what the club suits were doing hiring him and then not making any money available. You either fully back your manager or you don't, but in this case the club seem to have been caught in two minds. If LVG manages to finish in the top four, the official story will still be that Moyes was sacked because results were poor. But that really isn't the case, because I doubt LVG will be sacked even if he finishes with less points than Moyes did. At the end of the day, this means that LVG's reputation has earned him an extra season and extra transfer money.

It would be foolish to sack LVG at the end of the season, unless he makes things too hot for himself through his own actions. I've never been a fan of constant sackings - heck, I was against getting rid of Roy and Kenny as quickly as Liverpool did, though in retrospect they were probably inevitable moves. You're probably right that Man Utd will be more settled next season and will look more like an LVG team of years past.

With that being said, Chelsea have managed to continue to play they same style and win trophies despite going through a whole flock of managers between Mou's tenures. Real Madrid follow a similar model and they win things nearly every season. Ferguson made Man Utd unique in a way, and without him they are just another really big, really rich club. I think the search for some sort of Neo-Ferguson is a fool's errand (not that Man Utd are seriously trying to do that). Bring in a top, proven manager for 2-4 years, buy big players, win something, fall out with the manager, sack manager, repeat. That's the new reality.

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
I'd love to see him beat up Mou some more.

Better than a poke in the eye.

They probably hired Moyes because of where he was born/grew up, his behaviour, job at Preston North End and then Everton - thinking he could take it to the next level with a bit more money. They did make the funds available; it seems he went after the wrong targets or took too long and the player was gone. 7th and signs of progress - not results based - and Moyes would still have been the Manager. With LVG you can see how it can work next season. He is also sheltered by the desire not to have the fastest revolving door and his reputation/record.

Cheers,
OW

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Typical Chelsea, reffing their own matches as usual!! Ibra should never have gotten a red for that tackle. Chelsea don't even look that convincing but they've already probably won this tie through a single bad call. :rolleyes:

Better than a poke in the eye.

They probably hired Moyes because of where he was born/grew up, his behaviour, job at Preston North End and then Everton - thinking he could take it to the next level with a bit more money. They did make the funds available; it seems he went after the wrong targets or took too long and the player was gone. 7th and signs of progress - not results based - and Moyes would still have been the Manager. With LVG you can see how it can work next season. He is also sheltered by the desire not to have the fastest revolving door and his reputation/record.

Fair enough. Though, in terms of Moyes' transfers, he seems to have been failed badly by Ed Woodward and others. At the end of the day, I'm not trying to argue that Moyes should still be there. But I would suggest that LVG is riding mostly on reputation at the moment and Moyes took the fall for an unavoidable drop in form that probably would have happened to whatever manager showed up (except maybe a very select few like Mourinho, possibly Pep, Simeone? Klopp? Ancelotti?).

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Mark Lawrenson theorised at half time that Chelsea's response to Zlatan's tackle was pre-orchestrated. Made it sound like the old British Lions '99' call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.