The 2016 E3 Thread

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gkarris, Jun 2, 2016.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Re; new consoles.

Yeah big concern for me is if I decide to buy a new console can i transfer my actually downkoaded installed games. On XBOX ONE, i can of course use an external HDD so moving shouldn't be too traumatic, but the PS4.5 neo could be a utter PITA for upgraders. I have 1.5TB of games installed on my HDD and at least 1/2 of that space is downloaded content. I don't want to have to redownload that content if I upgrade.

3. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Doesn't PS4 allow complete backups on external hd now? Thought they added that feature at some point.

If the NEO doesn't have loud fans, I will buy one day one.

4. MRU, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not sure, will have to look as that would make a big difference...

update.. You're right it was added. That's a life saver.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'll prob upgrade my PS4 but I'm not sure of the XBOX as I basically use it as a media box. Microsoft really got to show me something in the form of games and features to upgrade.

Bless

6. wubsylol macrumors regular

Whatever new console announcements are made, if they don't include at least a 1TB hard drive in the base model that is pretty disgusting.

The Xbone and PS4 launching with a 500GB hard drive was idiotic considering the size of games.

Obviously you can just plug an external drive in and install games onto that, but with each company throwing 2-3 games at you a month with their online subscription (PS Plus and Xbox Live) that initial 500gb (and only 350gb of so of usable space) was used up super fast.

7. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Don't they just attached to your PSN or XB gamer tag and you can re-download them as needed?

I am intrigued by a new XB but I already have 2 in my house and not sure where a 3rd would fit.

My PS4 sits and basically gets unplayed lately until I clear my backlog which I prefer playing on my XB.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah but we have slow broadband here. Less than 7mb download speed. Now consider I have over 750gb of downloads ...... You can see why I'd be concerned.

9. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Touche. :)

10. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Latest rumors is that the "updated" XBox One will have 2TB drive:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/25/11769774/microsoft-xbox-one-slim-scorpio-rumors

11. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I'm really looking into Nintendo's announcement even though they have said that only Zelda and some other stuff is going to be shown. I hope to be able to catch it on tuesday. It's really likely though that the codename NX is going to be revealed, as the release date is known officially to be March 2017, so it has to be announced soon.

As I said in the NX thread, I think it's going to be a new-gen handheld release primarily because of the release date patterns and having Zelda on two home consoles of different generations is a stupid business idea (either you try to get the Wii U to have more sales, either you focus exclusively on the new console).

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Twilight Princess has already set the precedent.

13. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Oh crap I didn't think of that

14. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Mass Effect trailer looks amazing!

Was hoping for more gameplay/story details though.

15. MRU, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

16. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

OMG!

I assume it will play UHD Blu-ray (4K) Discs?

My take - $399...

They will have a non-4K regular BR drive 1TB version for $299 (after they sell off the original XBox One's...)

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah they say 4k video which makes me think it's mostly just about supporting 4k blu-ray and HDR.

Like the PS4 Neo, I'll end up getting the XB1 S and I fully expect Gamestop will be offering trade up programme.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Will definitely be picking up Skyrim on PS4! According to Bethesda anyone who owns the complete version of it on Steam will get a free upgrade... but I doubt my PC will be able to handle it well. Besides now I'll finally be able to play an Elder Scrolls game on a handheld! (Thanks Remote Play!)

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It probably will, considering Sony's pushing the console to output 4k game content. Unless they go with a closed loop watercooling setup or some other similarly semi-exotic setup, I expect the Neo will be just as loud as the standard PS4.

20. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I'm afraid you may be right. If that is the case, I will wait for the PS4 NEO slim.

21. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I hope you are right. I have 2 of them. :)

22. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I was thinking to upgrade to the PS4.5 if it plays 4K Bluray. Seems Microsoft has beat Sony to the punch. I guess I'll have to buy another, having just sold my XB1 too (to Mr. C above :)) as I barely touched it, and skip upgrading the PS4.