Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I prefer how that looks over the original Xbox One. Still not sold on them though, but the ever-expanding list of backwards compatible titles really helps. I don't have many 360 games but if they all support Xbox One eventually I'll probably get one.

Renzatic

Suspended
I'm intrigued. Microsoft is unifying the PC and Xbox into one platform and have basically turned the Xbox into a glorified Steam Machine.

It's a great idea, but it also reinforces the one major reason why I never felt the need to grab an Xbox for myself. Besides Halo and the later Gears of War games, both of which I'm not all that majorly stoked about, just about everything that shows up on the Xbox makes its way to the PC. The same can't be said vice versa, where there are still plenty of PC games that don't show up anywhere else.

I could justify getting a PS4, which has a ton of Japanese exclusives you can't get anywhere else. The Xbox, for me, would be redundant.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah the Scorpio announcement for 2017 makes me think why bother with the S ... unless it's got good upgrade deals at GS i will wait it out and get the Scorpio instead.

Besides i will pick up the PS4 neo ...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh my, I thought that slim one was the Scorpio! I've no idea what's going on. Is this the new Nintendo console ;) :p

Reactions: MRU

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Looks like MS is kind of acknowledging the Kinect did not catch on like they hoped. From what I see, none of the new S models include the Kinect and you will need a USB port to Kinect port adaptor to use your Kinect with the new S model. RIP Kinect.

the batman

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
scorpio seems like a really odd name for a console. i myself have the 20th anniversary ps4 and will definitely make the upgrade to the neo, probably a few months after release

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Just looking at that trailer that dog/bird thing in The Last Guardian is going to die or the boy is going to be sacrificed or something. I've watched that trailer about ten times now trying to figure out why it's tugging on my heart string...maybe it's the music.

Bless

the batman

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
Just looking at that trailer that dog/bird thing in The Last Guardian is going to die or the boy is going to be sacrificed or something. I've watched that trailer about ten times now trying to figure out why it's tugging on my heart string...maybe it's the music.

Bless
yeah, i really hope the dog bird thing doesn't. at this point it would be a surprise if he/she didn't, so let's hope for that

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Vita on life support I see.

Happy with the Sony presentation. That biker game looks dull, but the rest had my attention. I did not expect to finish that show excited for a Resident Evil and Call of Duty game!

the batman

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
Vita on life support I see.

Happy with the Sony presentation. That biker game looks dull, but the rest had my attention. I did not expect to finish that show excited for a Resident Evil and Call of Duty game!
biker game? you mean day's gone? it looked amazing, looks like what dead rising 3 should have been

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Pretty good show overall. Would have loved some solid info regarding the NEO and whatever Naughty Dog is working on.

Resident Evil 7 actually looks promising! VR support is a nice touch.

Not sure about MS's strategy with the 4k Slim model and the Scorpio next year. Things could get confusing at some point. Will devs have to code their games for three different XBone configurations, along with two different PS4 configurations? We're treading dangerously close to PC territory. The more I think about it, the more I feel they shouldn't mess with the hardware generation cycles at all. I would be perfectly happy with the PS4 as it is for another few years, until it's time for the PS5. Everyone having the exact same hardware specs is a good thing.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
biker game? you mean day's gone? it looked amazing, looks like what dead rising 3 should have been
Yeah that's the one. To me it just looked a little same-y. Typical gruff protag avenging his dead wife with the weight of the previous world on his shoulders, post apocalyptic US environment, regular ol' fashioned zombies. It just doesn't do anything for me now, at least Dead Rising games had a neat timer-mechanic and humour.

Maybe it'll be fun. I dunno. But on the other hand I can't wait for Horizon Zero Dawn, it seems to do loads of original things and its telling a story that I haven't heard before. Like, why are there giant robot dinosaurs roaming around? What makes them corrupted? How far are we going to go down the rabbit hole?

Just a small thing really but I find that's what makes these big adventure games more exciting: what's happened before? What's happening beyond the borders? Can we see the story from a unique character/perspective?
[doublepost=1465908340][/doublepost]
Not sure about MS's strategy with the 4k Slim model and the Scorpio next year. Things could get confusing at some point. Will devs have to code their games for three different XBone configurations, along with two different PS4 configurations? We're treading dangerously close to PC territory. The more I think about it, the more I feel they shouldn't mess with the hardware generation cycles at all. I would be perfectly happy with the PS4 as it is for another few years, until it's time for the PS5. Everyone having the exact same hardware specs is a good thing.

It reminds me of the N64 with its memory pack expansion. Just allowed for higher resolution and smoother framerates on supporting games. I don't think it'll impact much or be any different to coding multiplatform games; a game would be built for the weakest platform/model, and a QA team would play through another version on higher spec hardware to see how well it runs at higher res.

As for the Scorpio - I dunno how they'd handle that as it's a huge leap forward. I imagine it's just going to be a backwards-compatible Xbox 4.

the batman

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
i agree that horizon zero dawn looks very cool! i liked the crafting mechanics shown in the e3 gameplay

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Looks like I will be passing on the XBS as it doesn't offer anything that will benefit me. Especially after already setting the table for a new console again next year.

I don't watch blu ray, I don't need a smaller one, and my 2 XB1s work great now.

Interested to see what Neo becomes though and would gladly trade up my PS4 as it rarely gets turned on compared to my XB.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Bloody hell. That's pretty much the game I always wanted to play, looks like such a perfect mix of a linear "Japanese" style action RPG but with "Western" style gameplay freedom. Skyrim with more direction and personality. Zelda where you can approach a situation in various ways and battle to survive. Perfect.

I had to stop watching the preview section because I was picking up too many details and potential spoilers!

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Our XBone is fine... and sounds healthier compared to our noisy PS4. Not planning to get the XBone S, but interested on how Xbox Play Anywhere works out for cross platform gaming. Tempted to play GOW4 for cross platform in co-op mode with my kids. The only thing I'm planning to upgrade soon is my gaming PC rig... which is my main pref for gaming. If Neo plays quieter, then I might replace our PS4... but as noisy as it is, it's still running fine.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Bloody hell!

Oh man, I can't wait for this one!

PS4 has a bunch of new exclusives that interest me now - Insomniac's Spider-Man!, Kojima's game, new God of War, Horizon, Days Gone, Detroit, Crash remakes. :eek: I can see a PS4 (or Neo) in my future.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
The new Zelda really looks spectacular.

Do we know if the footage they showed was running on Wii U or NX?

I hope Nintendo gets the NX right and there will be a lot of cool games for it. It would be fun to own a Nintendo console again after all these years. (My last one was the SNES!)

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Bloody hell. That's pretty much the game I always wanted to play, looks like such a perfect mix of a linear "Japanese" style action RPG but with "Western" style gameplay freedom. Skyrim with more direction and personality. Zelda where you can approach a situation in various ways and battle to survive. Perfect.

I had to stop watching the preview section because I was picking up too many details and potential spoilers!

I know! It seemed to take the best of stuff from both genre's, and ignore the crap, i.e., there is cooking, but combining ingredients is more "logical" and fun, i.e., throwing peppers into a meal gives you protection from cold.

And being able to climb anything, and look around? Priceless!

I hope Nintendo gets the NX right and there will be a lot of cool games for it. It would be fun to own a Nintendo console again after all these years. (My last one was the SNES!)

I watched several hours of their online stuff yesterday, and it appeared to me they were all using Wii U's..this is based on the picture/graphic of the controller that popped up on screen when it showed how to use items or moves, but I could be wrong, it flashed by fairly fast.

Could somebody there try to confirm/disconfirm that? And while you are at it, buy them drinks and get them to leak info about the NX! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

From my friends at E3 - it's Wii U. I wonder how it'll look on the NX?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.