Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
I think the other way. Especially as United are getting a spanking tomorrow.
On paper City should win it. But given how they struggled initially against Brighton today its less clear cut. Against better teams they might get found out.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Liverpool draw 3-3 against Watford who took their chances against another defence that was ludicrously, abysmally porous at times, while Chelsea are 3-0 down leading into half time (against Burnley).

Well, that's it. Sixth, maybe seventh, here we come. Given the extra fixtures and the big spending of the top clubs, things can only go from bad to worse now for a Liverpool.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, that's it. Sixth, maybe seventh, here we come. Given the extra fixtures and the big spending of the top clubs, things can only go from bad to worse now for a Liverpool.

Yes, but with one caveat: I have long noticed that the top teams can tend to wobble a bit in August, and - for a newly promoted team - this is very often the best time of the year to put away a brace of points - they seem t be easier to come by than they are a bit later, when the top teams have gotten into their stride.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yes, but with one caveat: I have long noticed that the top teams can tend to wobble a bit in August, and - for a newly promoted team - this is very often the best time of the year to put away a brace of points - they seem t be easier to come by than they are a bit later, when the top teams have gotten into their stride.
I to have noticed this. Top teams aren't yet match fit, whilst newly promoted teams are pumped up. Especially if the players have never been in the PL or feel they have a point to prove after being discarded by other PL clubs in the past as they weren't good/young enough.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Actually after today i'm more confident that Utd will win the title. All thanks to Chelsea's stupidity. Dilly dallied on Lukaku then sold them Matic. Pathetic really.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Actually after today i'm more confident that Utd will win the title. All thanks to Chelsea's stupidity. Dilly dallied on Lukaku then sold them Matic. Pathetic really.

Reading opinion pieces, I am not entirely sure that the blame for this lies with Mr Conte; I suspect that his desired buy and sell philosophy may not have been entertained by his employers.

Nevertheless, I'm banking on dear Mr Mourinho and his dressing room to have a monumental falling out at some stage (possibly next season, in truth), but, I am also banking on Manchester City to give them more than a good run for their money.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Based on the results of the transfer market so far and the first weekend's worth of matches, I think the finishing order this season seems likely to be (with any two adjacent places pretty much a tossup)

1 Man Utd
2 Man City
3 Arsenal
4 Spurs
5 Chelsea
6 Liverpool
7 Everton

Pretty much no chance of any big surprises happening here. The title is going to Manchester, it's just a question of which half. If by some miracle it doesn't, the entire city becomes something of a laughing stock given the money spent on superstar players and managers.

Chelsea were idiots to sell Matic to Man Utd - just as Arsenal literally sold a title to Man Utd when they let RVP go there. The best evidence that money matters more than anything in football is the continued willingness of clubs to sell a starting quality player to a direct rival.

The one bright spot in the weekend is that Columbus solidly beat Chicago 3-1 at home. Any day Columbus beats Chicago is a good day, and helps me forget starting the PL season with an all too typical draw-that-feels-like-a-loss from Liverpool.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Based on the results of the transfer market so far and the first weekend's worth of matches, I think the finishing order this season seems likely to be (with any two adjacent places pretty much a tossup)

1 Man Utd
2 Man City
3 Arsenal
4 Spurs
5 Chelsea
6 Liverpool
7 Everton

Pretty much no chance of any big surprises happening here. The title is going to Manchester, it's just a question of which half. If by some miracle it doesn't, the entire city becomes something of a laughing stock given the money spent on superstar players and managers.

Chelsea were idiots to sell Matic to Man Utd - just as Arsenal literally sold a title to Man Utd when they let RVP go there. The best evidence that money matters more than anything in football is the continued willingness of clubs to sell a starting quality player to a direct rival.

The one bright spot in the weekend is that Columbus solidly beat Chicago 3-1 at home. Any day Columbus beats Chicago is a good day, and helps me forget starting the PL season with an all too typical draw-that-feels-like-a-loss from Liverpool.

Excellent post, but a few points occur: The first is Chelsea, their manager (clearly a bit unhappy), and their owner, a gentleman whose vast wealth may not be quite as bottomless and extensive (sanctions, biting perhaps?) as it once was.

Chelsea may have had to cash in on some assets; yes, in terms of assisting direct rivals, this is idiotic, but, sometimes, either greed or sheer financial necessity (and I suspect the latter) dictate such matters.

Manchester United have yet to face a serious team: although their team is now a lot stronger than it was at the same time last year, - Zlatan really salvaged last season for them - I'll reserve judgment until after they have faced serious competition with class and composure.

For now, despite today's very impressive performance - and no early season jitters - I'll still put my money on City for the title.

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
Falcao scored 3 goals in todays game against Dijon FC. he is also being linked to a move to AC Milan but Monaco turned it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.