The 2017-2018 NCAA Football Season

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Jul 21, 2017.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With the start of the 2017 College Football fast approaching, I thought it would be good to start the discussion.

A lot has occurred since the ending of the 2016 - 2017 season, including how Ole Miss being investigated for some significant violations. In a surprise annoucement, Hugh Freeze resigned effective immediately on Thursday night

Also we have Alabama coming off a tough loss in the national championship, only having to go through some odd issues with the OC position. I'm not sure how that will now shake out for them

Can Clemson continue with their dominating ways?

2. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

3. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Let me FTFY...
    ROLL, TIDE, ROLL!!!
    [​IMG]

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

:mad:
    [​IMG]

5. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

6. Roller macrumors 68020

This thread hasn't gotten going like it has in previous years. I don't know if it's because people are tired of Alabama, but I'll give it a shot.

Five weeks in, and Bama has dominated the last two games, setting a scoring record for the Saban era last night against Ole Miss. Of the opponents remaining on their regular schedule, I think only Auburn has a chance. It's been fun to watch Hurts run and Tagovailoa pass, not to mention the seemingly endless roster of running backs score.

Elsewhere in the SEC, it's a race between LSU and Tennessee to see which coach gets canned first. But both of them have significant buyouts (around $12m for Orgeron, at least $6m for Jones), so they may survive the season. But boosters sometimes come up with the cash in these situations, so we'll see.

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like a number of ranked teams lost yesterday.
    3 Oklahoma
    10 Michigan
    17 Louisville
    20 Utah
    21 Florida

I might have missed one or two.

The rankings and playoff picture certainly will be shuffled, but the fact remains with Ala, and Clemson not losing and being as powerful as they are. There's not too much excitement when it comes to the national championship.

There's some of that to be sure. For me, I've enjoyed college football much more then NFL, so I've been enjoying the games.

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I really did believe that OU was the most solid team outside of Bama. Unreal that they lost to the cyclones at home.

I don’t watch as much football as I used to in general, but I agree... NCAA football > NFL

9. Roller macrumors 68020

The reactions to Bama's A&M win were interesting, especially at Nick Saban's press conference. His comment that the media stories about the Tide being equivalent to rat poison was classic Saban hyperbole, but it had more than a grain of truth. Alabama has some tough games ahead if they're going to make it back to the playoff—Auburn and Georgia will be very difficult. Heck, I'm not even taking LSU for granted.

It was entertaining (and nail-biting) to watch Kellen Mond play. He's already very good and will get better.

10. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

The SEC East is going to be Georgia. Kirby Smart has done one hell of a job with them in his 2nd season.

The SEC West in my opinion, will come down to the Iron Bowl. Alabama and Auburn both hold the keys and unless something drastic happens. If Auburn beats LSU Saturday (they should be able to) the only other games Auburn has a chance to lose is Georgia/Alabama.. They are the real wild card

Now, I know I'm looking way ahead but my prediction for the National Championship will be Clemson vs Georgia

11. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

That Championship won't include Clemson this time. Nor Georgia. Auburn is out of the run as well. But who keeps mangling their opponents, HMMMMMMMMMMMMM???????????????

<---------- Nice "A" on that avatar...

12. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Alabama definitely looks like the team to beat right now. Pretty interested in the night game this weekend of Penn State and Michigan. Penn State's next 3 games are brutal so if they can handle them they're definitely for real and probably a threat to Alabama.

13. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

I agree with that 100%. But don't count Clemson out of the playoffs yet. Alabama won the National Championship with 1 loss and Clemson is still to good of a team to leave out of the conversation and I HOPE Penn St is able to hold it together during this 3 game stretch

My Top 4 as of 10-19-17

1. Alabama
    2. Georgia
    3. Penn ST
    4. Clemson (yes, I still think they deserve to be in)

14. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I agree with the top 4. The only issue is the health of Clemson's qb. Even before he was knocked out of the game last week, he was hobbling when trying to run from the week before. If he goes down so will Clemson.

15. Roller macrumors 68020

True—they can't afford another loss. But this is a bye week for Clemson, so Bryant will have more time to heal, and the rest of their schedule isn't that tough.

16. samiwas macrumors 65816

Yeah...I didn't get to watch the game last week, but I guess Auburn choked big time. Up 20-0 in the 2nd quarter, then managed to allow 27 points while only getting another field goal. Damn...pretty much lost any chance of a playoff at that point, but I never expected them to be in the championship game.

17. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Clemson is going to be this year's Florida State. They'll be irrelevant within two years.

Actual top 4:

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State
    3. Penn State
    4. Notre Dame

Playoff prediction (unordered):

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State
    3. Clemson
    4. Oklahoma

Sorry ND - even if you win out you won't get in without being in a conference.

18. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

How can Notre Dame be at 4 when they lost to an undefeated Georgia at home? Also, how do you have Ohio St ranked above Penn St

Attached Files:

19. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

They lost by 1 point, which means the game could have went either way. If Georgia is good - that by default makes Notre Dame good. I wouldn't lose any sleep putting Georgia in that #4 spot but I can only put one team there.

Because Ohio State is about to rock Penn State next week 42-17 or something along those lines.

And you may see this as a theme, but a week 1-2-3 loss to a quality opponent doesn't mean much to me. ND's body of work over the rest of the season since that loss is far more impressive to me than Georgia's. The SEC is absolute weak sauce right now, particularly the SEC East.

20. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

I do agree with you on an early loss doesn't count you out of the playoffs but to not have Georgia at your 4 spot makes zero sense. Actually to have Ohio St over Penn St this early makes zero sense also. Penn St is currently undefeated and Ohio St lost to Oklahoma. But with the logic you have with your top 4, I should have Iowa St at #2 cause they beat a team that beat your buckeyes so that makes them a good team good.

And yes the SEC is weak this year but week after week we have some of the biggest games that mean more to get to the playoffs. Nothing is given and the SEC is still up for grabs. Just don't be surprised if 2 SEC teams have a chance at the playoffs (a 1 loss team)

21. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

In what way? I think ND and Georgia are comparable, but I think ND has played better competition (and perhaps) better football since then. Why does that make "0 sense" ?

I'm not basing my rankings solely on any specific metric. It's eye-test from the games I've watched, ESPN FPI, FiveThirtyEight ELO, and the historic quality of the program and/or competition.

To be frank, this will never happen. There will never be two teams from the same conference in the playoffs at only 4 teams.

22. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

23. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

The first College Football Playoff rankings will likely have Georgia #1, Alabama #2 and everyone else--might as well use a dartboard.

24. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Idk why anybody but Alabama should be #1 until proven otherwise. I’m fine putting Georgia at #2 but they won’t make the playoff unless they beat Alabama.

ND is an interesting case - I hope they get screwed out of the playoff so they actually have to join a conference. Let’s say you have Alabama, Clemson and some other team like Oklahoma and then you’re looking at a 1-loss ND and 1-loss OSU. Both have 1 quality loss but OSU would have two (presuming Wisconsin wins out and loses in the Big10 Championship) wins over top 10 opponents. Guess who doesn’t get in? ND.

Fans of the Irish should be rooting for Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State to lose another game. They won’t get in over a 1-loss conference champion.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 29, 2017 ---
    I also don’t understand the perennial TCU or whoever getting a top ranking. TCU is a mediocre program no matter what their ranking is. They should never have broken the top 20. Iowa State is pretty good, but they’re like Michigan State or NC State good. Oklahoma isn’t really good either I don’t think. Not with the way that defense is playing.

25. Roller macrumors 68020

Well, Jim McElwain is out at Florida. Not surprising given his record this year, but I wonder about the effects of firing a head coach during the season vs. the end. He'll probably be joined on the sidelines by Butch Jones and Bret Bielema in due course (unless something changes for Arkansas—Jones is pretty much done, I think).