Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kjung7

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
I think this will get more people to sign up for the iPhone upgrade program, since that way the price will be easier to manage for a lot of people.

Apple will then probably take the iPhone 7s that were turned in to sell to countries where paying $1000 for a phone would be considered ludicrous (India seems to be where Apple has its interest in). Win win for Apple.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Well my iPhone 7 works well and eventually I'll just use another device if they choose to go that high. The only Apple devices I have left are my iPhone and iPad.

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
Apple priced me out. Next time I'll go with a cheap Android
picks-up-five-times-more-women-than-a-lamborghini.jpg

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
Don't believe everything you read. This article is crap.

The price points for the iPhone are not moving. They are established and will remain.

Also there is no way they are still testing the behind the screen home button and planning to include it in this year's iPhone.

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
don't worry they will release a cheaper version without all the fancy features that is more like an iPhone 7S. Then if you want to newest it will be more expensive but of course supplies will be constrained due to poor yields on displays

No doubt this will be the case...it's ironic, that Apple is setting up product lines that emulate the wealth gap considering all the social/environmental justice campaigning. "Let them eat cake" is becoming "Let them buy and use an iPhone SE." I'd like a more simplistic model coming from Apple, more akin to the old days. While I think there are pros/cons of either approach, it's an argument that is likely to fall on deaf ears when Apple is doing just fine with their profits.

Reactions: 5105973

StaceRumors

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I love all the people blaming price on "Tim Cook's Apple". Steve Jobs cared passionately about a lot of things, but price was not one of them. Macintoshes were always the most expensive home computers under his reign (until perhaps the bondi iMac). The Machintosh II sold for $5,498 (equivalent to $11,590 in 2016). When he left Apple, he started Next and attempted to bring the $6,500 (equivalent to $13,163 in 2016) Next Cube to market.

There is always a place for a premium, high quality product in the market. Analogy: even with Toyota, Hyundai and Honda's; Mercedes, BMW and Porsche still do a fine business. Apple will balance out the phone line with affordable models aside from the flagship.

Reactions: doelcm82 and Azzin

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Holy hell, how much is this thing going to cost in Canada and the UK then? It's already way up there in $$$!

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
What ruined Apple wasn't growth… They got very greedy.

- Steve Jobs, 1995
I love that quote. It's from a really great interview. And what is most scary is that it rings so true today.

The iPhone needs to drop $200 to restart interest. It's price that is deterring customers now, not a lack of functions, or nice aesthetic, but the completely unreasonable price.

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
A lot of people here seem to be up in arms because of a rumor of a device (with rumored specs) that probably won't be out for another 7 months. Why don't we wait for some concrete information before we start scalding TC and Apple's decisions.

Apple probably seeded this story and now checking for reactions. Now if you are going to not make noise about it Apple will assume it is ok to raise these prices. Make noise if you don't want to be paying excessive money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.