The 2018-2019 Football Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lord Blackadder, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Leno is young, but has, I think, the potential to become or grow into an excellent goal-keeper.

However, the team's tendency to defensive lapses does need to be addressed, and yes, I know that injuries have meant that some of Arsenal's better defensive players (such as Holding) are out for the season. But, that is all the more reason to address them - the problem will not go away.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

2-0 down to Burnley is hardly the start I had in mind!

Man City seem to be making hard work of it as well.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 30, 2018 ---
    Scratch that. Man City scored another 2! (Hope we do too!)

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Have been gloomily perusing Arsenal's injury list; quite extensive, - especially of decent defenders - but Leno refuses to argue that this contributed to yesterday's thrashing by Liverpool, when he stayed that Arsenal "made mistakes" and had only themselves to blame.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Shocking performance! Just when you think you have turned a corner. We just didn’t want it as much as Burnley today.

5. JamesMike macrumors 603

JamesMike

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Looking forward to seeing Ole’s team face some serious competition. See if they can maintain the momentum.
    Mourinho is all but forgotten!

7. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Man City get back to winning ways, as expected.

An Arsenal-supporting friend just mentioned that a rumor is going aruond that Arsenal are bidding for Christian Pulisic, the USA international (and best US player in a generation). Current odds are that he is going to Chelsea, but nothing is confirmed yet...

...I think he could do well in the Premier League, but I am terrified that he will sign with a big club and then rot on the bench or in a bad loan situation. He needs to be playing, wherever he ends up. And of course Arsenal need defenders more than they need attacking midfielders.

As we saw over the last week, the chaotic holiday fixture list produces some odd results, or results that go against form.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Just what our manager was saying. Got back at 2 am from Southampton then off to Burnley 2 days later. That whilst we have 10 players out injured. Of course the top teams have more strength in depth, so it favours them. But the busy Christmas period is part of our culture. Also I welcome the distraction from the worset time of the year.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As long as Arsenal bid (and buy) some seriously good defenders, I shall rest content.

At least, this first half of the season will have given Emery insight into who he can train, who he can motivate, who he needs to discard, and what positions need remedial attention the most, valuable information and intelligence to have amassed prior to heading into the transfer window.

Although I suspect that it may require two or three transfer windows before the team acquires the shape and structure that Emery would prefer.

The contest between Klopp and Guardiola is shaping up to be a fascinating one.

10. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Guardiola respected Mourinho's ability to get results, but he never liked him as a person and he certainly never feared him the way he fears Klopp teams. The Guardioa-Klopp rivalry is a great thing to watch as the men clearly have mutual respect and genuinely admire each other's style of football.

The Man city match will be fascinating. Liverpool merely need to avoid defeat, while Man City need to win to make up any ground. I suspect that Klopp is not going to quite go for "heavy metal football" in this one, but instead try to exert control and force Man City to take risks. It won't be 10 men behind the ball (impossible with players like Salah, Mane, and Firmino on the pitch), but I wouldn't be surprised if he parks a couple holding players in front of a back four, and gives Trent and Robertson less aggressive instructions for their wing play.

I'm guessing a 4-2-3-1 with the usual back four and of course Alisson. Wijnaldum, Fabinho and Henderson will provide a powerful spine, Mane and Firmino underpin the attack and Salah as (nominally) the lone striker. Shaqiri is subbed in after an hour if a goal is needed. Milner on deck and he goes wherever he is needed, whenever he is needed, possibly even starting at right back.

With that group I'd go up against anyone in the world at the moment. With that being said, no team in England is more capable of beating Liverpool than Man City. Should be a heck of a match.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, agreed, this should be a really interesting match - a contest between two contesting (but mutually respectful) visions.

Fascinating.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Agreed. Looking forward to it. Also as a neutral in the PL race, hoping for a Man City win.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

These days, I wouldn't trust Arsenal's brittle defence against a team of professional barflies.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That excruciating Arsenal defence; they can't keep a clean sheet for toffee.

15. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

True but at 2-1 at least you'll get the points. If you hold on of course....

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Four one to Arsenal at the end.

Whew.

17. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Good for my Fantasy team! I see we have signed Nasri on a free. I do hope he is match fit as we need some more players available now, not in 6 weeks.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I think my actual team (not my fantasy team) could do with the acquisition of an additional decent defender or two.

19. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Fulham are struggling but this is a convincing win for Arsenal, a needed morale boost. And it wipes out the goal difference deficit created after the Liverpool match.

Leicester needed their win today as well, their form has been inconsistent. Everton will be disappointed though, that was a match they will feel was winnable.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think the match against Liverpool may have served as an uncomfortable wake-up call to some of Arsenal's more delusional or optimistic supporters as to the gulf in class that still exists between Arsenal and the top two teams, and the amount of remedial action that will have to be undertaken at Arsenal in order to be able to mount a serious challenge for titles and Championship League places.

Emery has done exceptionally well with the players at his disposal, but few should be under any illusions as to the size of the task ahead of him.

Personally, I'd love to see Liverpool claim the title this year.

21. Lord Blackadder, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019

Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Pulisic to Chelsea is a done deal, apparently he's now officially on loan to Dortmund till the end of the season. I have mixed feelings from a USA point of view. Dortmund was a great place for him to be. Chelsea are a bigger, arguably more "elite" club (certainly richer), but is this the best place for Pulisic to get minutes in his favored position? Will the club help him develop or suck the life out of him, like it has so many other talented youngsters?

I would rather he be under Klopp or Guardiola (but he probably wouldn't be starting at either club, to be fair), or even Emery or Poch. Sarri is a good manager but Chelsea experience too much turnover and he won't be around more than a couple seasons.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree about the fact of too much turnover at Chelsea; not so sure that Pochettino will still be with Spurs come summer, as Manchester United will come a-wooing, but he is an excellent manager.

Pep Guardiola and Klopp speak for themselves - both are outstanding managers.

Will be interested to see what sort of shopping list Emery has in mind during the transfer window.

23. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

From 0-2 down to 2-2 at the London Stadium. Hopefully we can push for the win against Brighton.
    Good to see Arnie back scoring. Nasri fit enough for the bench which surprised me.

24. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Wolves looked so good against Spurs and yet they falter today against Crystal Palace.

Man Utd continue to brush past inferior opposition under Ferguson - er, Solskjaer...and they still have a handful of really easy matches ahead of them too - 5 of the next 7 matches should be no-brainer wins, though Spurs and PSG might hand them a couple reality checks. Arsenal will need to start winning again to stay ahead.

25. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

The big one tonight then! Like most big games between good teams hyped up for weeks it will probably be a 0-0 draw!

Hopefully not though. As a neutral I’d like City to win to keep the title alive. A draw will just about keep it alive. A Liverpool win and it’s all over in January.