Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hopefully not though. As a neutral I’d like City to win to keep the title alive. A draw will just about keep it alive. A Liverpool win and it’s all over in January.

Not necessarily.

It is just that Pep will have to learn to win - or challenge - to retain his title by coming from behind, rather than relishing a repeat of what had happened last year, when he cantered easily to City's coronation as Premiership Champions.

Besides, I'd like to see Liverpool win; it would be good for football.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Hopefully not though. As a neutral I’d like City to win to keep the title alive. A draw will just about keep it alive. A Liverpool win and it’s all over in January.

Liverpool are the only team to have ever surrendered such a big lead in the Premier League era before, and there are still something like 45(?) points to play for after today. So even if Liverpool won 7-0 today the title race would still definitely be on. It's still a crucial match in the title race, of course, a real six-pointer.

I had a full docket of work lined up today, but I know I'm not going to get any work done once the match starts...I'll probably just go home and watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Liverpool are the only team to have ever surrendered such a big lead in the Premier League era before, and there are still something like 45(?) points to play for after today. So even if Liverpool won 7-0 today the title race would still definitely be on. It's still a crucial match in the title race, of course, a real six-pointer.

I had a full docket of work lined up today, but I know I'm not going to get any work done once the match starts...I'll probably just go home and watch.
Didn’t Newcastle surrender a big lead to United?

Reactions: Silencio

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Really disappointed. It was a tight match, Man City were very good and had a slice of luck. Kompany should have been sent off, Liverpool were unlucky with the Stones clearance and Aguero’s shot was world class. Sane is a monster of a player.

Of course, if at any point during the rest of the season Man City lose and Liverpool win in the same weekend, it opens the gap right back up.

Title race is still on.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Really disappointed. It was a tight match, Man City were very good and had a slice of luck. Kompany should have been sent off, Liverpool were unlucky with the Stones clearance and Aguero’s shot was world class. Sane is a monster of a player.

Of course, if at any point during the rest of the season Man City lose and Liverpool win in the same weekend, it opens the gap right back up.

Title race is still on.

Actually, the title race is very much on, I would say.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMike

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
As much as I would like a genuine title challenge, I don't think Liverpool will continue to mount a challenge come Feb/Mar. They don't have the necessary squad depth - they're much better this year than the years before but the quality beyond the first 12 players isn't too much to write home about.

Edit- first 12 because Shaquiri

Plus in the CL they, they have a winnable round of 16 game against Bayern too.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As much as I would like a genuine title challenge, I don't think Liverpool will continue to mount a challenge come Feb/Mar. They don't have the necessary squad depth - they're much better this year than the years before but the quality beyond the first 12 players isn't too much to write home about.

Edit- first 12 because Shaquiri

Plus in the CL they, they have a winnable round of 16 game against Bayern too.

Actually, if you recall, they made the Final of the CL last year - no mean achievement - and their squad has come together, physically, psychologically and in terms of playing as a team to Clop's vision and having the confidence to do so.

Unless injury strikes, they have at least as good a chance as Manchester City to take the title.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Actually, if you recall, they made the Final of the CL last year - no mean achievement - and their squad has come together, physically, psychologically and in terms of playing as a team to Clop's vision and having the confidence to do so.

Unless injury strikes, they have at least as good a chance as Manchester City to take the title.
Too close to call imo. But fun if it goes to the wire.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Very much fun if it goes to the wire, but would like to see Liverpool do well.

Not least because I like Klopp, the team and their ethos.
I also like Klopp, but not much of a Liverpool fan. Although they are playing some great football this year.
[doublepost=1546705584][/doublepost]West Ham safely through to the 4th round of the FA cup having dispatched Birmingham City 2-0.
Good to see Arnie and Carroll on the score sheet.
Of course winning against lower opposition isn’t something to be especially proud about, but it does mean we have avoided the potential banana skin.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thoroughly deserved victory for Wolves in the FA cup tonight. Liverpool made some interesting team choices that just didn’t pan out.
We’re away to AFC Wimbledon in the next round.
Arsenal face Man U in the pick of the draw.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thoroughly deserved victory for Wolves in the FA cup tonight. Liverpool made some interesting team choices that just didn’t pan out.
We’re away to AFC Wimbledon in the next round.
Arsenal face Man U in the pick of the draw.

Indeed.

Arsenal have a long history - and an unusually good one - in the Cup.

Take a look at the story about mascots (clubs - disgracefully - charging families outrageous sums - West Ham an especially egregious and greedy offender) in today's Guardian.

Seriously, is nothing sacred?

Done properly, this is a lovely and engaging tradition, one that allows for some degree of engagement between club - and the clubs stars - and starstruck supporters (young or old).

Reactions: JamesMike

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Straight from a big high, crashing to a low. Two big defeats in a row - though it was clear from the team selection that Klopp considered this competition expendable. That's football. Liverpool often done poorly in the FA Cup in the time I've been following them, so I feel very defeatist about it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Straight from a big high, crashing to a low. Two big defeats in a row - though it was clear from the team selection that Klopp considered this competition expendable. That's football. Liverpool often done poorly in the FA Cup in the time I've been following them, so I feel very defeatist about it.

Yes, agreed.

I suspect that - for this year, at least, - Mr Klopp has written off the FA Cup, and considered the competition expendable, and would prefer to concentrate on the PL and the CL for now.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
But if the PL and CL prove elusive the FA cup could have been considered a prize worth winning.
I think his team selection showed a lack of respect for the competition and the opposition. I’m glad Wolves won.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
But if the PL and CL prove elusive the FA cup could have been considered a prize worth winning.
I think his team selection showed a lack of respect for the competition and the opposition. I’m glad Wolves won.

That is true. Agreed.

And considering that I held Manchester United in very low regard the year they decided to sit out contesting the Cup, I cannot in all consistency view Liverpool's shorn team in anything but a similar light.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
That is true. Agreed.

And considering that I held Manchester United in very low regard the year they decided to sit out contesting the Cup, I cannot in all consistency view Liverpool's shorn team in anything but a similar light.
Agreed. We’ve all had a lot of games but still managed to put a team out. It’s true that realistically a team like us or Wolves who aren’t going to get into Europe or get relegated, so the cup is a chance for glory.
But Liverpool should be able to put out a team for the cup and still contend the PL and CL. They could end up with nothing.

Anyway cups finished or now. More pressing matters is our next game against your lot!
Come on you Irons!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Honours even at halftime then at the London Stadium. Rice should have scored just before the break. Anderson looks good to. I predict Carroll on in the second half to cause issues for that defence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.